Author Topic: Slip Ons  (Read 9475 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Slip Ons
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 04:03:19 AM »
We haven't heard of that being an issue.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 04:03:35 AM »

Shall I add a sarcastic smiley to my previous post?
Nah, I thought for a minute you had a black bike.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 04:30:29 AM »
True that on the weight.

As for "coolness"?  I think it is just "me too"ness ;)  But, nothing wrong with customizing to taste... certainly keeps the economy running.

::)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 04:31:51 AM »
If I ditch the bazooka, does it affect the factory warranty in any way?

Nope

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 06:02:27 AM »
Not a "me too"-ness whatsoever, I have put a slip on every bike I have owned. The stock units are always heavy, typically ugly, and have little to any tone at all. Once again....not all slip on or exhaust systems are loud, but yes they will allow you to hear the monster that lies beneath you. Kind of like having a new Camaro, Mustang or Vette........those boys wanna breathe and let the beautiful sounds of horsepower out!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »

Most forum member are aware of your love affair with the stock system.....so why even respond? ;)  My top speed is also much faster in 4th now than 5th gear, all due to my Area P slip on.

Yeah, yeah, it's all in your head, you twit, you.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 07:34:57 PM »
True that on the weight.

As for "coolness"?  I think it is just "me too"ness ;)  But, nothing wrong with customizing to taste... certainly keeps the economy running.

I'm always happy to do my part!

The Connie all by itself is a pretty cool motorcycle, but you didn't buy one because I did, did you? Nope. I put on a 2 Brothers because I wanted exactly what it offered: a more robust sound, a smaller package (because real men don't need to compensate   ;D  ) and good looks.

Nonetheless, I respect your regard for the OEM tank turret and will fight to the death your right to keep your Concours sounding like a Prius.   

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 08:09:37 PM »
Prius?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 08:31:31 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 09:17:57 PM »
sounding like a Prius.   

LOL- you are going to have a really tough time converting to electric cars, aren't you?  (Which have the potential to be tremendously more powerful than any combustion engine.... and make no noise at all).  I can't wait!  I would buy one now if they were affordable (Tesla's new one meets the specs: >= 300 mile range, more powerful than the G37, and at least as luxurious...  But at $100K, I think I have a loooooong wait.)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 05:44:54 AM »
Electric cars are still a few years away from being a "mass market" item.
They still need to beat the storage issue as well as the generation issue.
As for power, yup, but once ya add in the weight of the batteries you have lost everything you gained and then some.

I'm with Professor Brown.
The only use for lead in Electric cars is for shielding the fusion reactor.

As for a "claimed" 300 miles range for the Tesla S,.... phooey!
In tests it maxed at 187 miles for the 60kWh and 265 miles for the 85kWh batter packs.
Also, the recharge time is too long, at over an hour, for practical distance use.
If you only ever drive in urban/sub-urban areas and have $100,000 (plus options) then go for it.
The Tesla X may manage 300 miles but that's 2 years away at least.

I tried a slip on once, but my better half made me take it off and put it back in the dresser.  :(
Muffler wise I have a 2 Brothers Titanium on mine and I like the tone and the popping on deceleration.
I feel that the OEM Battleship muffler is just as pig f*****g ugly as a Prius as well as sounding like one.  ;D

To be fair if I rode the long and lonesome roads of the USA I'd want a quieter muffler too.
But I don't. I ride the busy noisy roads of the UK and Europe and I WANT TO BE HEARD.
They never look, but at least the incompetent cellphone,... err sorry, car driving morons may hear me coming.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 05:58:36 AM »
Never fear, 'lectric car buffs, I'm working on the solution.  (Still in early planning stage)  I'm thinking a small but powerful speaker inside of a short section of stainless steel tailpipe.  (5-6 inches diameter, of course.)  I'll use a synthesizer to generate an aggressive engine sound, controlled by motor speed and "throttle position".  Owner would be able to choose from a selection of gas-guzzler engines, Viper, Ferrari,  Hemi-Cuda, etc.    Hang one of these electronic fart cans under your lame electric car's bumper and Viola! Instant muscle car!!

Investors?
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2012, 06:09:58 AM »
Can you size on for the potato launcher?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 08:42:14 AM »
As for power, yup, but once ya add in the weight of the batteries you have lost everything you gained and then some.

I'm with Professor Brown.
The only use for lead in Electric cars is for shielding the fusion reactor.

As for a "claimed" 300 miles range for the Tesla S,.... phooey!
In tests it maxed at 187 miles for the 60kWh and 265 miles for the 85kWh batter packs.
Also, the recharge time is too long, at over an hour, for practical distance use.
If you only ever drive in urban/sub-urban areas and have $100,000 (plus options) then go for it.

I tried a slip on once, but my better half made me take it off and put it back in the dresser.  :(
Muffler wise I have a 2 Brothers Titanium on mine and I like the tone and the popping on deceleration.
I feel that the OEM Battleship muffler is just as pig f*****g ugly as a Prius as well as sounding like one.  ;D

To be fair if I rode the long and lonesome roads of the USA I'd want a quieter muffler too.
But I don't. I ride the busy noisy roads of the UK and Europe and I WANT TO BE HEARD.
They never look, but at least the incompetent cellphone,... err sorry, car driving morons may hear me coming.

Loud pipes save lives eh?    :o   ::)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »

Yep

Generation is no big whoop.  But the storage issue is a big one.

Not necessarily.... I have seen some actual performance numbers that are really impressive.  The LiIon batteries are MUCH lighter than old tech, and at least they are starting to keep that weight low.  And electric cars don't need 130 pounds of gas, no radiator or cooling system, no exhaust, no transmission, etc.  They are still heavier but getting better.

As for a "claimed" 300 miles range for the Tesla S,.... phooey! In tests it maxed at 265 miles for the 85kWh batter packs.

Yep, that is why I would want a 300 mile range, because I really would want a 200 mile range "in the real world".  If you drive spiritedly, it will take a hit.

It can't practically replace a combustion car for long distance use, yet.  But in my case, I never travel that far, so it would be fine.  Plug in overnight and I am set for the day.

If it were $50,000, I would seriously consider it.  At $100,000 (and that includes most options and is before the $6k tax credit) it just doesn't make any economical sense.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2012, 04:02:02 PM »
Loud pipes save lives eh?    :o   ::)

You will note I didn't even comment on that section.  Good dog!

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »
I disagree.  Putting on an after market exhaust will void your warranty.... on the muffler.  You will no longer be able to get Kawasaki to do warranty work on the muffler. :)

Just being precise.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »
I love my combustion engines, to heck with electric!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »
I love my combustion engines, to heck with electric!!!!!

:goodpost:    +1...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 04:32:50 AM »
You will note I didn't even comment on that section.  Good dog!

I did notice...