Author Topic: BMW K1600 GTK Exclusive (with "Keyless Ride")  (Read 10092 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: BMW K1600 GTK Exclusive (with "Keyless Ride")
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 11:16:39 AM »
I never had to fumble in my pocket for a key. My FOB had a permanent place of residence in my jacket pocket, which I wear religously. When I need gas, I pulled the stove knob out of the ignition and used it. When wanted in the bags, same thing. The system wasn't perfect, but it was hard from being a pain.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 12:17:23 PM »
Lots to swallow there... and just like the old joke about a $#!+ sandwich ( the more bread you have, the less $#!+ you taste) I really have to question the comparo.
There is none. This big lump is $24k for starters, and ANY options you want come in "packages", which don't allow getting a single thing from that package without buying the big extras, at $4k per pop.
Lets say you just gotta have the pretty paint, some chrome, and different colored seats....its now $30k + another $1100 for prep and shipping..
Oh yeah...
http://www.sillsmotor.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=384611&CatDesc=Motorcycles&ModelYear=2014
Add in the fact this thing has a 12.2/1 compression ratio, and is running on the exact same tire sizes the C14 has, you MUST use the highest grade of fuel, and tire life will be worse than we have... cost adders for everyday consumtion.
Now, add in the BMR service costs for this bike that only has a 24 mo warrenty, to keep the bike in spec and warrented, oh yeah, just a minor house payment. And to retort to the fellow saying "I have $5k left to pay off on my conni", I can only laugh and say, " damned site better thaan still owing $16 k". ( which is more than the cost of owning a second Conni).

Mechanicals fail, and the k.I.s.s. principle comes to mind. A lot to think about because you don't want to pull a key out to refill gas, or open your side cases..

And with all the people wanting to add butt dyno farkles like exhausts, and flys out pcXXII stuff, well....

The C bike is a niche, afordable for most, sell the C bike and buy the B bike, and sell it in a couple years when the wife screams at you because you don't ride it enough to warrent another house payment... someone here will be glad to sell you their old Conni to get you back to reality...

These are the options, which are cost adders to the msrp

Adaptive headlight       
    LED fog lights       
    DTC       
    ESA II       
    Central locking system       
    Tire pressure monitor       
    Anti theft alarm       
    High seat
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:08:41 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 05:41:45 AM »
MOB, I get your point(s), but I was just pointing at the key-less feature, not BMW's thirst for our hard earned, which I completely agree with you on. As I said in some other thread, if you get a GT or the new RT and want the top-case with it... "very well, sir, please drop the 1200 USD here". Insane :banghead: but since there are folks paying it, BMW keep asking it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:59:38 PM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 05:55:41 PM »
Lets say you just gotta have the pretty paint

:-X

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 09:05:48 AM »
a bike will ride exactly the same with keyless stuff or not, but I'd rather have the full keyless thing. It's just more comfortable. I can call home dialing (typing  ;)) the number, or I can speed-dial by pressing and holding the #2 on my mobile phone. Both let me talk to the family, the second is just easier.
The point of my post was not to analyse the advantages or need of such system, but the half-way implementation of it by Kawasaki, compared to the much more accomplished implementation by BMW.

I feel the same way.  Either do it right, or just give me a standard keyed system.  The only two, very modest improvements that could be made to make me completely happy with no increase in price are 1) allow the side cases to be left in an unlocked state, and 2) the same with the gas cap, or don't make it locking in the first place.