Author Topic: Pain while riding  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Baba Booey

Pain while riding
« on: February 20, 2023, 01:57:35 PM »
Hi all. I did a few searches and found a lot of posts about wrist pain and some knee pain, but, I was wondering has/does anyone else experience constant knee and leg pain while riding their C14? This bike is pretty new to me. I ride mostly on Saturday and / or Sunday. As the day progresses the pain seems to be more bothersome. For example, I rode about 150-180 miles yesterday and I found myself standing on the pegs to leg stretch at least 20 times. It gives temporary relief for me and as the day progresses, I feel the need to stand more increases. When I get off of the bike, it takes me a few minutes to get back to "normal" and I have that feeling like I ran up a bunch of stairs (tired legs).

Today I feel mostly fine, just slight sore. I'm afraid to throw parts at it as that can get costly with no guarantee of a solution. I think I read post somewhere that a guy took 7500 miles to get "used" to his bike. I guess I am looking for thoughts on the matter both in possible solutions and also people sharing if they have a similar, painful, experience with their C14.

Thanks in advance!

44 y/o and 6 foot-ish
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 03:23:55 PM by Baba Booey »
2018 C14

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Pain while riding
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 04:41:49 PM »
I have owned 3 Concours 14s from 2007 to August of last year about 250,000 miles. About 10 years ago I developed symptom you describe. Upper legs start to ache after being in riding position for a length of time. At first 40 50 minutes but progressed to where now its 5 10 minutes! I have to stand on pegs 5 to 10 times per hour. The condition has also progressed to sitting in most chairs and sleeping on side with legs bent. I believe I have something called Restless Leg Syndrome.

Lowering the pegs helps a little. Also Highway pegs. Anything to change the leg position. I have a set of peg lowerers that you can have for the cost of shipping.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 04:45:12 PM »
I can't ride even as long as you.  It isn't the bike, it is just my crappy body.  For me it is neck/shoulder/back pain and my hands go numb.  No amount of adjustments can help all that much, it is just me.  I suspect some of it might just be you.  If you have long legs, it might help to get a taller seat or lowered pegs.  (I have short legs and had to lower the bike and seat, and wear tall boots).

I will say that someone on a new (at least to them) bike *is* going to have much more pain and problems until they get used to the exact riding position.  With repeated riding, you will tone the muscles that support the various positions.  I haven't ever had leg/knee pain, however, but that is just me.

When I first got the C14, I spent a lot of time trying to change things to help with my back.  Even so far as to adding pseudo highway pegs.  But after much riding and time, much of that pain disappeared as I became more "in shape for riding."  I haven't even used the far pegs in many years.

My recommendation would be to give it more time before making changes.  You might also combine this with stretching/range of motion and even toning exercises in the areas of your body that suffer.  Riding a motorcycle isn't a "natural" position we take in everyday life, for sure.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Baba Booey

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 05:20:04 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I think I had an issue with the FZ as well. That bike still can get uncomfortable, but I think I got used to it, mostly. Thanks for the suggestions. I will try some exercises and more stretching for sure. Thanks for the peg offer. I'm going to give it a bit more time without mods but thank you, seriously. Interesting speaking of RLS, I squirm in bed a lot too, so I think you're onto something for sure.
2018 C14

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 05:28:08 PM »
At 6'5", I use bar risers, peg lowering brackets, and highway pegs. Also, I move back to the pillion seat to stretch my back while riding.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 02:20:29 AM »
I found that getting rid of the awful OEM saddle worked wonders.
It tilts you forwards in an unnatural feeling way so you are constantly fidgeting and changing position.
I also fitted bar risers and that helped, but it was the saddle that allowed me to do 400 mile days with minimal discomfort.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline WG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 07:26:23 AM »
I get pain on the outside of my knee and down my calf.  It comes from my arthritic hips.

Standing on the pegs or getting off for a few minutes helps.  A narrower bike also helps.

Cheers,
Wayne.

Offline Baba Booey

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 06:42:28 PM »
I found that getting rid of the awful OEM saddle worked wonders.
It tilts you forwards in an unnatural feeling way so you are constantly fidgeting and changing position.
I also fitted bar risers and that helped, but it was the saddle that allowed me to do 400 mile days with minimal discomfort.

I think the last owner repalced the saddle. Ill have to double check that. Thx for the info.
2018 C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 02:18:08 AM »
I get pain on the outside of my knee and down my calf.  It comes from my arthritic hips.

Standing on the pegs or getting off for a few minutes helps.

An older friend of mine I ride with often, who has a much smaller model (not a Concours), also has hip issues and ends up having to stand on his pegs occasionally.  I do it too, sometimes, just to help with my back, when it starts to act up.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Baba Booey

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 08:24:56 PM »
I think the last owner repalced the saddle. Ill have to double check that. Thx for the info.

Just to get back to this, I confirmed it’s the low version of the Sargent Saddle.
2018 C14

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 01:11:54 AM »
I have the Corbin modular 2 piece saddle. For me it stopped the forward slide issue that had me trying to grip the tank with my thighs and that may be the cause of your pain.
It is not perfect but does allow me to do back to back 200 mile rides with just a 15min gas/restroom/drink break in between.

On my C10 I have a Russell Daylong and solo I can literally ride all day on that, and have.
I also did 600 miles in one day with a pillion. My pillion was so comfy she slept for a good ½ of that day.

I can't comment on the Sergeant saddles as I have never ridden on one.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Baba Booey

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2023, 10:48:25 AM »
I have the Corbin modular 2 piece saddle. For me it stopped the forward slide issue that had me trying to grip the tank with my thighs and that may be the cause of your pain.
It is not perfect but does allow me to do back to back 200 mile rides with just a 15min gas/restroom/drink break in between.

On my C10 I have a Russell Daylong and solo I can literally ride all day on that, and have.
I also did 600 miles in one day with a pillion. My pillion was so comfy she slept for a good ½ of that day.

I can't comment on the Sergeant saddles as I have never ridden on one.

Thank you Boomer for the information and I will continue to do some more research!
2018 C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2023, 03:11:59 PM »
Just to get back to this, I confirmed it’s the low version of the Sargent Saddle.

That is what I have.  It is pretty hard.  :)

But I needed that version because I have short legs.  I wouldn't recommend it for people without short legs, because of the lack of padding.  The normal version is probably fine.

Offline hank

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2023, 07:23:42 PM »
I am 6'3 275lbs
I have had every saddle you can buy(I'm serious) The Russell and Baldwin are amazing but ugly IMO, The happy medium for me was a corbin front seat that was re-upholstered its good looking and comfortable for about 8 hours a day for multiple days, the factory kaw tout=ring seat is pretty good also, so is the one piece corbin. this is all just my opinion

Offline Baba Booey

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2023, 08:14:32 AM »
I am 6'3 275lbs
I have had every saddle you can buy(I'm serious) The Russell and Baldwin are amazing but ugly IMO, The happy medium for me was a corbin front seat that was re-upholstered its good looking and comfortable for about 8 hours a day for multiple days, the factory kaw tout=ring seat is pretty good also, so is the one piece corbin. this is all just my opinion

Thanks Hank for info.
2018 C14

Offline Baba Booey

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2023, 02:58:33 PM »
Just last week, I ended up just ordering a new Corbin saddle as well as the Murphs risers and wedges. Hopefully this will do the trick (especially the near 2' difference between the Sargent Low and the Corbin).
2018 C14