Author Topic: Can't find neutral. Broken clutch handle. Related? 1982 Honda cb450sc  (Read 1828 times)

Offline rhetoric

My son bought his first bike yesterday (Honda twin, 450).  It's an 1982 with 16K.  In pretty good shape and it runs great, but we have a real hard time finding neutral.

The clutch handle is cracked such that you can pull in the clutch handle but it doesn't pivot/get full leverage.  So the clutch pulls, but not all the way.

New clutch handle is on the way, but I've wondered if my "it's really hard to find neutral" problem is related. 

(It's also true that the bike tipped over once and bent the shift lever.  We bent the shift lever back, but I suppose it's possible that something internally is bent/broke/whatevs!)

signed,
a guy who clearly doesn't really understand how a clutch works

Offline Cholla

• Arena
The. Clutch handle may have something to do with it. Make sure the clutch is adjusted properly and see what happens. Clutch plates may be sticking. Change oil and see what happens after a bit. Give the new oil some time to get the varnish off the plates.
If that doesn't do it surgery may be required.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Son of Pappy

Before I offer suggestions-will you post a picture of the shifter side of the case?  I'm willing to bet this is far easier to remedy than you may think.  Listing 3 differant bikes from three differant brands and eras.  '04 YZ, 15 minute job start to finish, same for the '79 XT250, and '10 F800GS.

Offline rhetoric

It was the clutch lever.  Got a new one in the mail today and problem solved -- shs like buddah.  I love easy fixes.  Thanks for the feedback.  This is the best site ever.