Author Topic: Well it looks like my butt need relief.......  (Read 5316 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Well it looks like my butt need relief.......
« on: July 01, 2011, 10:23:56 PM »
I'm looking into getting a Spencer mod  http://greatdaytoride.com/Seat_Mod_Pics.php done to my seat.  I'm getting a sore butt really well within a hour of riding, very annoying. I found a overwhelming positive reveiws on this mod.  So I'll dive into it.  Any thoughts?

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Well it looks like my butt need relief.......
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 06:42:27 AM »
Any thoughts?

About your butt?   Um...  NO!             :rotflmao:

I've heard pretty good things about Spenser's seats and plan to get mine done sometime soon.  In the mean time, I got a sheepskin buttpad from Alaska Leather that makes a huge difference over the stock seat.  I've put a few thousand miles on the buttpad, and it's been worth every penny.  I figure the combination of that and Spencer's seat will keep me happy until I can come up with the money for a Russell.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline wildwilly

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:40:21 AM »

Try some of this stuff!  And take your wallet out of your back pocket.

Offline blade

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »
I did the Spencer seat on my GF GS500, she says it is a big improvement on the stock for her. The turned the seat around in about a week and the price was reasonable, especially compared to what I paid for my Russel.

If you want to try sticking with your stock seat for a little while longer there are a few things you can try before getting it worked on. There were a lot of people on the old forum that swore by the beaded car seats cut down for to fit.

The sheep skin is a good option as well, I still use one even with the Russel.

Before I went custom I had some memory foam that I would stick under the sheepskin with the stock seat and it made it more bearable.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:49:21 PM »

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 10:34:54 PM »
Yep !!! That's what it feels like.  ;)
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 06:55:01 AM »
I ordered a Rick Mayer seat a couple weeks ago.  I should have it any day now.  Seems like a really nice seat for the price but time will tell.

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 08:29:18 AM »
Spenser will be getting mine this winter. I've squashed mine with my big size.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »

LDComfort specifically recommends NOT using ANY powder with their excellent riding wear, the powder gets into the pores and plugs things up, no more moisture wicking magic. I would ASSume this applies to pretty much any similar clothing(i.e. Champion, Jockey Go-Breeze, etc). Something about the powder getting wet and turning into a wet, hot paste of basically ground up rock cured me of using powder. With LDComfort, Jockey Go-Breeze, or even swimming trunks, I no longer get the monkey butt thing going on, and no more heat rash. I ride some long days, and it gets a bit hot and humid down here in the summer.

As an aside, LDComfort stuff really, really works well.

Ditch the cotton shorts, they hold moisture instead of releasing it, exactly what you do not want to happen.

Edited to accommodate my CRS.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:00:05 PM by SteveJ. »
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 01:07:28 AM »
LDComfort specifically recommends NOT using ANY powder with their excellent riding wear, the powder gets into the pores and plugs things up, no more moisture wicking magic. I would ASSume this applies to pretty much any similar clothing(i.e. Champion, Jockey Go-Breeze, etc). Something about the powder getting wet and turning into a wet, hot paste of basically ground up rock cured me of using powder. With LDComfort, Jockey Go-Breeze, or even swimming trunks, I no longer get the monkey butt thing going on, and no more heat rash. I ride some long days, and it gets a bit hot and humid down here in the summer.

As an aside, LDComfort stuff really, really works well.

Ditch the cotton shorts, they hold moisture instead of releasing it, exactly what you do not want to happen.

Edited to accommodate my CRS.

+1.

The stock seat aint the greatest - but alot of comfort issues depend on what you wear.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 04:11:16 AM »
A friend wears those padded lycra cycle shorts as underwear when riding distance.
The padding spreads the weight and prevents pressure points, and the lycra is good at wicking moisture away.
Avoid powders at all costs. They will give short term relief but longer term they cause problems.

The best method is get a comfy saddle.

I'll leave the others to relieve your butt. Not my scene,....  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 06:15:43 AM »
I have been wearing the padded arss bicycle shorts for quite a while now. I have a few from EPS and Giant, they help with the real culprit, heat. And you can pull your pants off and still have shorts on, and without getting arrested for exposure.
 They also help the inside of your legs, they come down the thighs 3/4 and are seamless and very comfortable. I can do 500 miles a day, and short of just being sore from sitting, my arss is not uncomfortable.
Another thing I do is stretch out at stops, legs, hammies, back ans shoulders. Move some blood.
Good luck on your search.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline SamSam

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 08:23:31 AM »
Spencer mod with a sheep skin cover is the way to go!
Sal Sammartino 
2006 connie, 2001 connie (lost in fire)
COG #6191; If you didn't have a good time it was your own fault!

Offline crossj_2002

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 08:34:26 AM »
+1 on the Spencer's Mod, padded bicycling shorts, and sheepskin butt pad.

I used to not be able to do more than 2 hours without major pain.  Now, I just wear the bicycling shorts under my riding pants.  I start out a long trip with the sheepskin off and throw that on about halfway through the trip.  Now an 8-10 hour ride is much more doable.  The sheepskin (alaskanleather DOT com) also clips on and off using snaps, so it can be put on quickly and without popping the seat off.  It helps to throw it on after the bike's been sitting out in the sun while you're having lunch.
  COG#9120 '99 C10 Concours

Offline blade

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 08:39:31 AM »
If you are serious about the Spencer fix, drop them an email. They are very knowledgeable and discuss what you want done to the seat. Spencer is a rider as well so he really wants you to be happy. If I remember correctly his business has been built on word of mouth and lets face it you screw over one biker and several thousand know about it in short order.

BTW the bike shorts really help on those long days, the compression and padding reduce the pain significantly. Also a lot of the bike shorts are anti-microbial/anti-bacterial which reduces/eliminates the dreaded rash, etc. in your personal areas.

I have heard good things about Alaskan Leather and other companies that sell sheepskins, but have never used them. My sheepskin came out of the seconds bin at the Old Hide House up in Ontario and it has been well used for 4 years. I picked up a sheepskin for my girlfriend at Ikea for about $20 and she loves it. I eyeballed both hides for size and lucked out both times. They do not have clips to hold them in place, but they are long enough to fold under easily enough