Author Topic: dash bulb replacement  (Read 3485 times)

Offline yoman

dash bulb replacement
« on: June 21, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
do you have to remove the faring to replace the light bulbs in the tach?
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline mlf73

Re: dash bulb replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:05:26 AM »
I think you just have to remove the two inner fairing sections that have the storage compartments and the windshield.  You can then remove the upper dash cover and then unbolt the instrument cluster to get to the bulbs.  I think that was the process anyway...haven't had it apart in a little while.
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:45:44 AM »
I think you just have to remove the two inner fairing sections that have the storage compartments and the windshield.  You can then remove the upper dash cover and then unbolt the instrument cluster to get to the bulbs.  I think that was the process anyway...haven't had it apart in a little while.

Spot on, at least that's how it was with my 06 when I wanted to get to the horn wires. The explanation seems to be correct for post 94 bikes, not sure if it's the same for pre 94 models  :-\
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I just converted to LEDs, but I have the whole bike disassembled.  It is an '87.  I believe you have to also unbolt the gauge mounting frame from the white plastic gauge cluster (4 small bolts?) or you can't pull the bulb holders out.  I think you can do it without removing the fairing, but it will be tight.  Don't forget to undo the speedo cable, it will give you more tugging room.

Throw a cover on the tank so you don't scratch it up if you drop something.  Removing the windshield may help if you are having difficulty seeing what you are doing.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline throb

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:24:56 PM »
Don't forget to give the speedo cable a little twist with a pliers or it will work itself loose and mock you while taking the whole thing apart again.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 07:20:15 AM »
it will work itself loose and mock you while taking the whole thing apart again.

That's funny.  True, but funny.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington