Author Topic: 3M Paint Defender Spray  (Read 15117 times)

Offline xsv

Re: 3M Paint Defender Spray
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2014, 07:02:52 AM »
Would a heat gun or a blow dryer help soften the film and get around the contours?

I know in my application the installer only used  heat gun on the thick film on the headlights.  The application of the other film did not appear difficult.  Well right up to the point where he trimmed the film with a razor blade.  This guy knew exactly how much pressure to use to cut the film without damaging the paint.  That alone was enough to convince me that I would not be doing any install myself.

My recollection was that I paid around $80 for the tank at a business.  The installer mentioned if I wanted other things done to get a hold of him.  The mirrors, headlight, tank bags, leading edge of fender all took place in is garage...I think I paid $20 or $30 for that, including the film. :)
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2014, 09:53:34 AM »
Mylar is great, I have it done to all my bodywork sets now, no more rock chips.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

On my green set I just did the front facing sections of the lower...

But on my red set I had him do about 85% of the entire bodywork!  :)  It was very tedious for the installer custom cutting everything as he went, took him 4 days during the middle of the winter so we had to bring in some heavy duty heaters for my garage, and he used an entire roll of film (FYI the mylar rolls cost about $1k :o , and that doesn't include labor to install)

Offline Cuda

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »
FYI if you paid $1,000. for a roll of mylar film you got ripped off 100%
Your wife needs to take your credit cards and Baker act you :rotflmao:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Mental_Health_Act
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2014, 02:58:45 PM »
FYI if you paid $1,000. for a roll of mylar film you got ripped off 100%

That's a bold statement CD without you even knowing what kind of mylar it is and how big a roll is...  ::)

FWIW, no "I" didn't pay $1k.

The mylar I had my red bodywork done in is some brand new stuff that just came on the market, it's actually like a rubber and literally bounces the rocks off and doesn't even leave a nick mark in the mylar, it's pretty cool stuff. Most of the reason for going through an entire roll was how many times he had to pull it back off and re-do it, once pulled off it goes in the trash, so lot's of wasted mylar on this project, our garage garbage can was totally full of waded up balls or mylar. The upper fairing alone he probably had to do about a dozen times before it came out perfect, and I mean perfect, you can't even tell it's on there, no seams!  :)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2014, 07:06:59 PM »
Me neither... I suspect it didn't come from the factory that way...

Your suspicions would be wrong.  That is the way Trials bikes came in the 1970s.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
Your suspicions would be wrong.  That is the way Trials bikes came in the 1970s.

Too strange... but so were the 70's!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2014, 04:15:12 AM »
The good old days!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2014, 04:50:43 AM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2014, 04:54:27 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2014, 06:14:46 AM »
Just buy the precut kit.  It takes about an hour to install it yourself.

http://tinyurl.com/nvpsdqo
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2014, 06:56:11 AM »
Just buy the precut kit.  It takes about an hour to install it yourself.

http://tinyurl.com/nvpsdqo

Too bad that is only for 29% of the Concourses (gen 1) and they have no option for the other 71%.  Most of the pieces would probably still fit... certainly are a lot of pieces.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2014, 07:25:20 AM »
I bought a kit.....once.  The only parts I could make fit were the ones on the cases and even that was fiddly.  Unless you are a professional and install these for a living, I wouldn't ever buy them again.  Course you could have much patience and attention span.  I have neither.  Short fuse as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »
That's why I went with the spray I couldn't make them fit either
And now that someone else admitted it I can too :)
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »
Every part  fit my bike perfectly.  You never want to do the whole bike.   Why would you? Just the parts that get stone chips and boot marks and where you contact the bike. That kit covered every leading edge, the tank and the saddle bags.
I do my own cars too but not  the WHOLE car.   It was easy and simple.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2014, 08:34:16 PM »
Every part  fit my bike perfectly.  You never want to do the whole bike.   Why would you? Just the parts that get stone chips and boot marks and where you contact the bike. That kit covered every leading edge, the tank and the saddle bags.

:goodpost:  +1...

Hence why I did about 85% of mine.  :thumbs: :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Mirrors, upper, mids, hotwings, side lowers, front lower, front fender, and side cases for rock chips. Lower sides of tank and front portion of tail sides for your legs, and side cases for your boots.  :) 8)

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2014, 10:21:56 AM »

You used the kit for the 09 bike and it worked on yours? What year is your bike?
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline tomp

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2014, 05:55:30 PM »
Had a 74 RL250 and it's stand was on the right.  Also ha a TL125, and it's stand was on the left.  Yes the 70's were a very confusing time, and not just because of side stand locations...

Living in the Texas Coast...