Author Topic: ZX 14 forks on a C-14  (Read 9220 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
ZX 14 forks on a C-14
« on: June 25, 2014, 08:45:04 AM »
So that thing we are NEVER supposed to do.... make any major changes to any machine right before a long trip.... yep, threw that one to the wind. Changed the forks on my C-14 on Friday afternoon, guessed at the spring and shock settings, and then left for the COG National rally and a 2K trip the next morning.  :o

It turned out great though! The forks are interchangeable but not identical; the C-14 has stiffer springs (easy boys!) and the ZX forks have a compression damping adjustment. The spring rates are 1.2 kg / mm on the C-14 and 0.8 kg / mm on the ZX; I was of course concerned about the much lighter spring rate on the heavier bike. But overall, it proved to be outstanding- compliant and very conformal to all road conditions without being sloppy or much too soft. That said, I did use up most of the travel of the suspension during the trip although it did not bottom out anywhere. The hydraulic settings were close to ideal; I increased the compression damping during the trip and found it a bit too slow to respond to road changes. I would like to increase the spring pre- load by another 1/2 inch or so but have used up all the adjustment travel already. I will look into shimming the ZX springs. Something like 1.0 kg / mm spring rate would be ideal for my bike loaded down, or perhaps progressive springs starting at 0.9 kg / mm.

Overall, I like this mod. and am quite happy with it.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: ZX 14 forks on a C-14
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 02:13:49 PM »
oh, c'mon Brian... you know the rules: no pics --> it didn't happen  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:41:28 PM »
When you say the forks are interchangeable you mean just the tubes and not the trees?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 02:44:34 PM »
 ;D

Yeah, no photos yet. Really, there isn't much to see other than the compression adjustment and the fact that the upper forks are anodized gold instead of being clear (aluminum colored). That and the fact that the forks are brand new and bolted to old, filthy calipers and the front wheel (although there IS a new axle in there).

Brian

oh, c'mon Brian... you know the rules: no pics --> it didn't happen  ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 02:50:55 PM »
Yes, exactly that. I got an entire front assembly as a 'take- off' from a ZX 14, including the triple clamps (the triple trees) and steering stem shave and inner races and bearings (but not the outer races- I assume they went with the frame) but cannot use them on a C-14. The ass'y also came with a new front axle and axle nut, which I am using 'cause they are nicer than my originals.

The forks themselves are interchangeable with a C-14 that does NOT have ABS. ZX forks can be used on a C-14 with ABS but the right fork lower has to be drilled and tapped to accept the ABS sensor. The boss is there in the casting but it has not been machined (drilled or tapped) because they are not used on ZX 14's, at least not in 2011 which is the year bike these forks came from.

And that reminds me- I do have a couple of photos of the forks Martin:

The boss where the ABS sensor would go:

The fork ass'y as I received it:

The hole in the upper triple clamp is too small to accept the KiPass assembly.... what's up with that? What do they do with the Ninjas, twist wires together or something to start the bike?  :rotflmao:

Brian

When you say the forks are interchangeable you mean just the tubes and not the trees?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 04:17:43 PM »
Would the service manual for the c14 forks be sufficient for the zx forks or are the internals different enough that a zx manual is needed?

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 03:18:10 AM »
Thanks for the pics. The anodised gold does look better than the aluminium, in my opinion  :thumbs:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 05:16:59 AM »
Yes, the forks are identical internally other than the lighter spring on the ZX.

ZX and Concours forks come down the same assembly line; other than some minor omissions such as no compression damping adjustment on the Concours forks, and no compression damping 'knob' on the ZX forks (it is a slotted screw instead), they are identical.

Brian

Would the service manual for the c14 forks be sufficient for the zx forks or are the internals different enough that a zx manual is needed?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 06:20:34 AM »
Brian, did you bother to change to fluid?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 09:16:35 AM »
No- that was one of the primary reasons for buying the ZX forks in the first place, they were brand new. The forks on the bike had nearly 100K miles on them and no service. Another gentleman around here, Lather, sent his off to be rebuilt at a suspension shop and found some bushings worn out. It was actually Bob (Lather) who found the ZX forks for sale and mentioned the link in the first place. The new forks were $370, delivered and I took it as a fantastic opportunity to 1) get all new bushings 2) get lighter springs, which I did want to try out 3) have zero- mile forks that needed absolutely no maintenance performed on them (new fluid, new seals) and 4) get the adjustable compression damping that the C-14 forks do not have.

So this whole thing was an exercise in "shotgun maintenance" where I took the entire set of forks and replaced them with new ones. I actually have the tools to break down the forks as well as new seals and shock fluid but hey, brand new, factory forks require zero labor on my part, and the price was right.

Brian

Brian, did you bother to change to fluid?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 06:30:32 PM »
If these are brand new take offs what did they put on the zx instead?

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 04:40:31 AM »

Hey Mr. Pink,

Of course I have no idea on the answer in Brian's case, but there's a company up here that parts out brand new ZX14's...they put the engines and corresponding electronics in those T-Rexes, etc. Have you seen these things on the road?

http://www.campagnamotors.com/

They keep the engine, and sell everything else, brand new.

Brian,

Nicely done by the way. With the amount of miles you have on, I bet those forks felt great.

I work on forks all the time...up to about 15 sets this season so far. I keep Race Tech spacer tubing on hand....if you lived down the street, I could tighten those springs up for you in the amount of time it takes to drink a large coffee...lol. In any case, springs are cheap...1.0 kg springs are likely only $100 for those forks.

I may look t this mod as a project for next winter.

Cheers,
Rem 8)

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 05:21:29 AM »
I've seen pics and vids of the T  Rex. If I had 50g I'd have one. I would have thought they would source the engine and electronics straight from Ma Kaw. Muzzy also had zx engines for about 5 grand each awhile back.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 07:08:28 AM »
Yeah, what Cory said is correct. It is a funny world we live in sometimes and this is one of its quirks.

Kawasaki does not sell ZX 14 crate engines. But as they are desirable and wanted for other applications (what Cory mentioned, Karts, etc.), people 'need' them. So instead of buying all the engine parts and assembling an engine, the easy and economical way is to buy entire ZX 14's and take the engines out of them. Hence the term "brand new take- offs". I do not know but doubt the people who use the engines actually part out the bikes; my parts came from a salvage yard so I suspect the bikes, sans engines, are sold and the next company parts them out and sells them.

Like I said, a funny world at times but someone else (Lather- he's around here somewhere I think) happen to discover these forks for sale on Ebay and posted the info. About 10 minutes later, mine were on the way :-)  And now, those $369 forks are $599 :-(  Still not a bad buy but not as good as they were previously.

Brian

I've seen pics and vids of the T  Rex. If I had 50g I'd have one. I would have thought they would source the engine and electronics straight from Ma Kaw. Muzzy also had zx engines for about 5 grand each awhile back.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 07:10:41 AM »
Oh better than great- they felt outstanding! I always felt the stock springs were too stiff (easy boys!) and these are much, much softer. Too soft I think but still, a nice change.

I was looking at a pair of progressive springs rated at the same initial force as the ZX springs- 0.8 kg/mm. Depending on how fast they ramp up, they might be ideal.

Brian

<snip>

Brian,

Nicely done by the way. With the amount of miles you have on, I bet those forks felt great.

I work on forks all the time...up to about 15 sets this season so far. I keep Race Tech spacer tubing on hand....if you lived down the street, I could tighten those springs up for you in the amount of time it takes to drink a large coffee...lol. In any case, springs are cheap...1.0 kg springs are likely only $100 for those forks.

I may look t this mod as a project for next winter.

Cheers,
Rem 8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 10:05:47 AM »

Most likely upgraded to Ohlins...  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 11:00:56 AM »
I don't think so- the Ebay auction that I used had something like 39 sets for sale. Not even the biggest fanboi of Olin would buy that many sets.... :-)

Brian

Most likely upgraded to Ohlins...  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 11:56:37 AM »
I don't think so- the Ebay auction that I used had something like 39 sets for sale. Not even the biggest fanboi of Olin would buy that many sets.... :-)

Brian

http://www.kawasaki.com.au/motorcycles/supersport/ninja-zx-14r-special-edition-oehlins

:-\

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
I do not know but doubt the people who use the engines actually part out the bikes; my parts came from a salvage yard so I suspect the bikes, sans engines, are sold and the next company parts them out and sells them.

Yup, that's usually how it works Brian...up here at least.

This Cory guy always has new ZX14's with no engines that he parts out....in case anybody is ever looking for parts.

http://402bike.com/

He's in Sarnia, Ontario...right on the Canada/USA border at the southern end of lake Huron, just north of Detroit.

If you click on ZX14 parts, you'll see an engineless bike there, and new frames, wheels, etc.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 02:13:57 PM »
Mine just showed up.