Author Topic: Fuel Mileage/Thx Steve in Sunny FLA.  (Read 4241 times)

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
Fuel Mileage/Thx Steve in Sunny FLA.
« on: July 24, 2011, 07:30:05 AM »
Well with my Hip problems getting much better from Fluroscopy (or something like that) injections and putting off as long as possible a possible right hip replacement, I finally got my new to me 06 connie out for the first long distant ride, in the North Ga Mtns, No. 1 to see if I could go the distants and 2 to see how the big connie would do after all the farkling and maints I did since last Sept when I brought her out of the Kentucky Foothills.  1st off the bike was fantastic me coming off of an 07 farkled out belt drive converted Bandit 1250 to the Connie.  I know I was down a bunch on Hp,s but I found myself riding smoother and faster out of the corners than  on my Bandit.  I used 3.83 gallons and did 212 miles by my calculations that is 55.3 mpg.  No way would any big Suzuki get that kind of mileage period.  Not sure of the elevation change but I am running Jim Snyders original inexpensive 4/1 style header with a Gsxr 1000 delkevic muffler. Steve,s Exhaust gear and carbs breathed on by the legend himself.  The bike was fast no hickups,  I was running 1 3/4 inch on the foam blocks and it screamed.  Of course on the ride home I found a good long strecth off of Ga 515 and cut her loose at indicated 125 Yea Yea I got skeeeaarreeddd and chopped the throtle was still pulling like a Freight train.  Dont condone that kind of behavior except on a track day environmet but all the stars were lined up and the motorcycle gods were looking down on me in a positive manner so there you go.  Again many thx to all that have helped me get her to this point.  Thx and regards Steve
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
Re: Fuel Mileage/Thx Steve in Sunny FLA.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 08:27:36 AM »
See I told you that 4 into 1 header would get good mileage.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 10:18:17 AM »
JIm, I owe the header design all up to you I would of never thought of that.  I am still going to get you to do me an ontario set up in the off season, I have already secured a spare complete header to send to you.  Now when can i expect my classified front brake calipers?   Ha.  Again thx Jim.  Regards Steve I will be in touch. 
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 10:31:43 AM »
Impressive economy on the Connie... and interesting belt drive mod on the Bandit.  What are the advantages/disavantages  over chain drive, and is it a kit?
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline F-106

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 01:21:24 PM »
As an 06 owner myself, each time I see a photo of your bike it inspirers me. NICE JOB!! :)
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline Cybercraig

• Sprayboy-Services
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 07:30:53 PM »
I'd double-check my calcs if I were you. I'm not saying it's impossible to get 55 mph going downhill with a tailwind, but hitting 125mph for any length of time to boot sounds iffy? JMHO
'98 becoming more farkled up by the minute.

R.I.P. Steve Earl  "Mr. FJR"

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 12:18:39 AM »
Can't speak to the 55 MPG, but as for the 125 indicated, if he's running the stock tire size on the front, actual speed would be lower.

I've had my bike in the one-teens, and backed off when a nasty shimmy commenced.  As sroby noted that he was 'skeeeaarreeddd', I'm guessing he wasn't liking the feel of the bike at that speed.

SISF has been in the one-thirties on his bike recently, and due to the front and rear end suspension mods, he was pleasantly surprised that the bike was riding smoothly...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 03:00:24 AM »
I could believe the 55mpg.  After doing the SISF economy 2 min mod and the T-Cro stick coils,  I went on a trip and was hitting about 52mpg.  I also wasn't riding over 100, but I wasn't babying it either.   I never would have thought since I was only getting about 30 mpg when I first got the bike. 

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 06:54:56 AM »
Been busy sorry just now gettn back,  thx for the compliments folks, Shes running real good I went through the entire suspension when Farkling in the off season, Forks were emulatoreded per Steves specs and had the zzr shock but it was to tall for me so I changed out the oil on the stock and put it back on,  As far as top end speed it  was a quick sudden burst I was tucked in and looked at it pretty good, I am running the smaller size fron tire that steve recommended on the avon, and she was indicating between  123- 125 and felt as stable as my old bandit which I indicated 158 one time on her with the belt drive.  I have the front barings cranked down oretty good and have never had the head shake now keep in mine the bike only has 3600 original miles on it, but overall very pleased.  Thx Steve.

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 07:04:24 AM »
Funny thing about it is I know the electronic speedo on the new biks including my old bandot were off by as much as 6percent.  However I have to tell you where I live is a little small town Dallas, Ga in Pulding County on your way into town there is a small school in the center of town which Hwy 92 runs directly through it.  It drops down from 55 to 35 and on the north and south bound side aabout 3 years ago they installed those Radar controlled illuminated speed signs that as you approcah them they indicate how fast you are going.  On my bandit 1250 according to my gps it would match perfect to the radar speed indicated however the bandit would always read about 3 to 4miles faster than I was actually moving.  So I loaded up the connie with all her old school mechanical speedometer glory and checked it out.  Unless my gps is off and the radar is off on the county sign, I did this 4 times and at exactly 40  45 and 35 indicated on the connie was the exact same indicated on the my gps and the radar sign.  I did not do it at faster speeds so I dont know.  but I must tell you in any event the mechancal drive to me seem to be more accurate than that on my vrf=vtec or my old Bandit 1250.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 02:21:25 PM »
Jeez, I'd love to get 55 mpg, I just got 36 on a tank. I have the stick coils, will throw them on.  Maybe it's my heavy hand? My bike is basically bone stock  except for blockoffs and the rebar mod.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 02:45:41 PM »
Jeez, I'd love to get 55 mpg, I just got 36 on a tank. I have the stick coils, will throw them on.  Maybe it's my heavy hand? My bike is basically bone stock  except for blockoffs and the rebar mod.

When I first got mine, I was only getting about 30mpg.  I removed and cleaned the carbs, installed 2 min mod, stick coils, adjusted float levels, new carb boots.  I think that is about it and I was extremely happy hitting that 52mpg.  I don't quite get that around town, but always mid to high 40s.