Author Topic: 4000 ticking miles  (Read 1982 times)

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
4000 ticking miles
« on: September 23, 2011, 02:37:23 PM »

Started my road trip from NW FL.  On my way to SC bike started ticking, sounded like a ex leak at the head, it got louder. Pulled the valve cover in NC, It was ulgy. Cam lobes are worn. I adjusted em tight (.002) changed the oil, and let it eat.

Blue Ridge Parkway, Poconos  was a great ride. Did 800 plus miles in one day. Spent time with family in CT. Went to VT. NH. rode the Kancamagus Highway, (best ride of my life, so far) and spent some time in Maine. Stayed at a biker saloon/campground Bentleys, Great place, Sundays 2 lobsters and sides $15. Went to the most N E point in America, Lubec, and took my picture at the light house. Just Great scenary My pp writing can not discribe. Next season Im going back, forgot to climb Mt. Washington.

Changed the oil again in CT. Had a leak in a hose that was seeping coolant. Bought an auto hose cut it in 3 parts and replaced them all. Also had to put in a new battery.

On the way back stopped in TN and picked up a 900 Head and cams I bought on ebay.

Rolled back in to Panama City Beach in time for the Nostalga Drag Racers Reunion this weekend. Next weekend Thunder Beach, here in PCB. 

Anyone comming to Thunder Beach ?

Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: 4000 ticking miles
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 07:09:55 AM »
Setting the valves tight was the worst thing you could do. The issue isn't about the cam or rocker wear, that's already happened. The issue is that the valve doesn't get on the seat well, and not long enough to pass the heat out of the valve into the seat. I guess if you're going to fit the 900 head that's OK, but the 900 heads had some pretty significant failure issues of their own, ie busting valve stems, retainers, rockers, etc. By 1987 all the various issues were resolved but the 84-86 zx900 / 1000, zl900 / 1000 and zg1000 heads all had "issues" and I won't use any of those heads when I'm rebuilding or repairing a zg engine. the 900 cams have alot of duration and your bike is going to be slower than it is now unless you're over 5000 rpm. it will pick up about 10 hp @ 9000, but that doesn't help much for real world riding. BTDT, Steve

Offline cmoore

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 04:12:51 AM »
There are lots of worn/pitted cam lobes out there, mine included, that are still going strong. I always adjust my valves to the loose end of spec.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »

Pulled the valve cover in NC, It was ulgy. Cam lobes are worn. I adjusted em tight (.002) changed the oil, and let it eat.

:banghead: :nuts: :yikes: :popcorn:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..