Concours 1400 (C14) FAQ > "Farkles"

Bearinged up Shifter by Murph

(1/9) > >>

VirginiaJim:
I decided to do this shifter mod not because I thought the shifting lacked smoothness but because, quite frankly, it was there and being sold by Murph of Murphskits http://www.murphskits.com .  The price was right being at $21.00 for the kit.  Murph has some well written instructions http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/docs/Bearinged%20Up%20Shifter.pdf , so basically I'm just going to add my take on them.  The whole installation took about an hour for me to do.

The kit consists of two bolts, bearings, spacers, tiny washers, and a nut (no, that's not me).  Here's a picture of the shifter before the upgrade....

[smg id=94]

Here's a pic of what was involved in replacing the shifter bushing (shifter removed with tools used).  I did not have another 10mm box end so I used my metric adjustable wrench instead.

[smg id=93]

Removal of the shifter lever was very easy as was removing the bushing from the shifter.  I did use a 1/2 bolt that I had lying around in my spare nuts and bolts tub.  Took a bit to find it.  I did not count threads on the linkage.  Basically I used a spark plug gap tool to measure the distance between the nut and the rubber boot on the shifter side of the assembly.  It was about .035 on mine.  I just made sure I didn't move the jam nut much.  So in order to take the linkage off I twirled the lever around until it came loose.  That way I kept the jam nut in it's same position.  I'm sure that there is an easier way.

[smg id=92]

Bearing installation was very easy as you can just about push the bearings in with your fingers.  Murph includes two bolts and a nut in the bearing kit.  One bolt has a hex head and one has a 'normal' rounded hex keyed head.  I don't know why anyone would use the hex head bolt unless you wanted it to go on a tractor.  I couldn't figure out what the nut was for (I'm hoping it was to keep the bearings and spacers on the shipping bolt).  I dumped them off the shipping bolt and then realized I didn't pay attention to where the washers went.  In reading the directions (I hope), it looks like they go on each end of the shifter and not internally somewhere. 

Tightened it up and will take it out for a spin tomorrow.  I'll let you know what magic has occurred.

Picture with it installed...

[smg id=91]

Conrad:
Nice touch with the leaves in the second pic.    :thumbs:

roadie:
Can't quite make out the tool closest to the leaves...and why didn't I use it when I installed? Hope I didn't goof something up.:-)

VirginiaJim:

--- Quote from: Roadie on October 25, 2011, 12:31:22 PM ---Can't quite make out the tool closest to the leaves...and why didn't I use it when I installed? Hope I didn't goof something up.:-)

--- End quote ---

Spark plug gauge...metric and English.

gPink:
Nice way to load pics. Since I'm not the sharpest knife in the computer drawer I have to ask how you do that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version