Author Topic: B-17 "Liberty Belle" destroyed  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
B-17 "Liberty Belle" destroyed
« on: June 13, 2011, 06:16:12 PM »
http://www.komonews.com/news/national/123755019.html

Luckily all the people got out OK, but the airplane is destroyed.  Too bad, I read one article that said this brings the flying fleet is now down to 13.  This airplane was in our area a few months ago and I did not take the opportunity to take a ride.  Next time one comes around, I think I'll do it before it's too late.

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Bob

Re: B-17 "Liberty Belle" destroyed
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 06:50:03 PM »
I had seen this on the news. They had pictures of it crashed and burning. What a shame. Jim where are you. I'm sure you'll chime in on this!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 04:14:25 AM »
I think it a crying shame to see an old (flying) warbird go up in flames.  I actually saw this one as it was flying in Ohio some years back.  My wife kept hitting me on the head to keep my eyes on the road.  There are still many static displays of B-17s in the US.  The flying variants are rare and unique.  I'm really glad no one was hurt in the emergency landing and everyone made it out of the aircraft safely.  The Air Force museum in Dayton is currently restoring the Memphis Belle.  I'll be taking a tour there June 24.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/exhibits/restoration/index.asp
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:05:21 AM »
That's a bummer.  I'm pretty certain I've been inside that B17 before at an airshow.