Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 727931 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2400 on: December 18, 2016, 10:51:12 AM »
75? Sweet!!!

Wow- it is 76F right now!  I just came back from a long ride.  Roads were wet, though, so the bike is filthy (it didn't rain to clean the roads, it was just tons of water from the fog last night).  Gonna wash it and then out to try and finish Xmas shopping.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2401 on: December 18, 2016, 02:59:18 PM »
I'm not an RV guy, and this is a motorcycle forum...but ...but since we are in a thread about nothing at all (and thus open to everything), why don't they make RVs so you can just drain 'em and blow a little air in the lines and be done with it?

Makes sense to me..and I don't have an rv.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #2402 on: December 18, 2016, 04:47:58 PM »
Makes sense to me..and I don't have an rv.

Blowing out with air isn't very effective sometimes because water droplets don't all blow out and the plastic tubing water lines used in RV construction make some rather unconventional bends/turns/etc. causing lots of potential low spots, not to mention the toilet flush valve. Plus it's sort of inconvienent depending on where the RV may be parked. I can drain and bypass the water heater and then winterize the rest of the system with about a single gallon of the non toxic stuff for $1.99 using the 12 volt on board water pump. IF the stuff works as designed, which it always has before.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2403 on: December 18, 2016, 05:24:17 PM »
Makes sense to me and I don't have an rv.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2404 on: December 18, 2016, 05:29:01 PM »
Makes sense to me and I don't have an rv.

It makes sense to me that I don't have an RV.  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2405 on: December 18, 2016, 05:42:15 PM »
Wow- it is 76F right now!  I just came back from a long ride.  Roads were wet, though, so the bike is filthy (it didn't rain to clean the roads, it was just tons of water from the fog last night).  Gonna wash it and then out to try and finish Xmas shopping.

High was 77F!

And now it is suddenly very windy, cold, and raining.  Guess what the *high* temp is for tomorrow...  38F!  What a roller coaster ride this is!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2406 on: December 18, 2016, 06:07:10 PM »
Makes sense to me and I don't have an rv.....But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #2407 on: December 18, 2016, 10:23:19 PM »
Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care!   :)
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2408 on: December 19, 2016, 04:43:54 AM »
I'm not an RV guy, and this is a motorcycle forum...but ...but since we are in a thread about nothing at all (and thus open to everything), why don't they make RVs so you can just drain 'em and blow a little air in the lines and be done with it?

Blowing out with air isn't very effective sometimes because water droplets don't all blow out and the plastic tubing water lines used in RV construction make some rather unconventional bends/turns/etc. causing lots of potential low spots, not to mention the toilet flush valve. Plus it's sort of inconvienent depending on where the RV may be parked. I can drain and bypass the water heater and then winterize the rest of the system with about a single gallon of the non toxic stuff for $1.99 using the 12 volt on board water pump. IF the stuff works as designed, which it always has before.

I have two RVs, a motorhome and a 5th wheel. I do the belt and suspenders thing with them when I prep them for winter. I blow out the lines and then use the onboard system to fill the lines with antifreeze. It takes about 2 gallons each of the pink stuff to do them.

As for Marty's question. Asking why the RV industry does things the way they do is a good question. One that lots of campers have asked many times while shaking their heads..
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2409 on: December 19, 2016, 05:15:59 AM »
You can buy undiluted propylene glycol to mix with the pink stuff to adjust the freeze point. Or use Fireball whiskey.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2410 on: December 19, 2016, 05:39:16 AM »
The Fireball whiskey should be used as antifreeze in humans ONLY!    :chugbeer:

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #2411 on: December 19, 2016, 06:56:45 AM »
You can buy undiluted propylene glycol to mix with the pink stuff to adjust the freeze point. Or use Fireball whiskey.

I've never had any whiskey freeze.
Two years ago while ice fishing around an island on the lake we have fished for years in Ontario I was on a firewood detail. Cut a dead tree down and proceeded to start blocking it into short(er) stove length pieces. It was hollow as I got toward the bottom 8 feet or so. Hit something "different" with the chainsaw but tossed the piece onto the snow covered ice with the other pieces to load into the sled. A bottle dislodged from the hollow part and showed up enough to notice as I was loading up. Label was long since gone but it was still sealed and unfrozen. It was a Canadian brand, sort of local but later changed names after a merger and became a larger known brand. (I will have to look at the saved bottle to revive the memory as to the brand). Google indicated by the bottle markings it was from the mid-seventies. Some summertime local camper must have stashed them and never returned or forgot.
The real incredible part is a month later when we went back one of the group members along was asking about where this find was located. Took him over to the general area and located the base of the tree that the one I cut up came from. Inside the broken off trunk was the mate to the first bottle.
"Picnic" island is now known as "Whiskey" island.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2412 on: January 07, 2017, 07:12:41 AM »
Some people have WAY more money than brains.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2413 on: January 07, 2017, 07:20:02 AM »
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.......

Yeesh!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2414 on: January 07, 2017, 07:32:43 AM »
It'll buff out....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2415 on: January 07, 2017, 08:16:44 AM »
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.......

Yeesh!

I am sitting here reading stuff on the computer and listening to music and keep hearing this strange, sorta motorcyclish sound....  There are two people riding two snowmobiles up and down the street.  Not something I would expect around here.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2416 on: January 11, 2017, 12:32:42 PM »
Well, it happened- the moment we have all been waiting for. Well, at least the moment I was waiting for. Well, not really waiting, more like expecting. But not quite expecting, it was a surprise.... but I was prepared.

Yep, you guessed it: the great [Cable Company] 'nami of 2017 has arrived!

In this area we have two cable (and phone and high- speed internet) services, Cox and Verizon (Fios). And in the modern world, for some really bad reason, companies in general reward 'new' customers and penalize old, loyal customers by jacking up the prices for existing customers and giving relatively large discounts to new customers. A couple of years ago I finally got tired of the prices charged by my provider, Cox (although perfectly happy with the service) as well as the bombardment of offers from Verizon, and jumped services. I did call Cox and tell them to 'sharpen their pencil' (Easy Boys!) 'cause I was looking at Verizon but I did not yet fully understand how it works now (see above- reward and punish the wrong people). So  I went over to Verizon and have also been perfectly satisfied with their service, just like Cox, at least overall. Well yesterday my Verizon bill shot up almost $100 / month (!!) without warning and..... yep, this in the 25th month of the new service when I 'fall out' of the original package. Just for chuckles, I did call Verizon and they did whittle the price down a little but not nearly as much as Cox will, where I am yet again a virgin and a 'new' customer (apparently virginal status is bestowed on old customers after 90 days, unlike fiance's, which I understand takes one full year.... but I digress). Understanding how the game is played is a huge advantage because it saves time, questions, potential arguments, etc. and we can cut right to the chase: they could not quite match my current Verizon price but they COULD include a gift card (read: money flowing back toward me, read: reduced cost over the next 24 months) which was large enough to cover the difference and just a tad more. So I get newer, faster and better service (the new remotes are voice activated and I cannot wait until I have them 'cause making my own coffee is tedious) for the same price, at least for 24 months, from a new (new? really??) company that now has to come to my house and "install" their service rather than just continuing along with the 'old' company which would have made much better financial sense for all of us. Sigh. It is not my world, I just live here so the best I can do is to play the game as well as possible. But I do think this method of getting 'new' customers is a really foolish and very inefficient method that public vendors seem to be using en masse these days.

Next, insurance! Yep, my old, gray- haired self will become a virgin driver, home- owner and motorcycle rider for the next lucky contestant in this really dumb game of 'Let's get new customers by poaching them from the competition and the entire industry losing a LOT of money in all the additional work of switching'.

So if my posts look different, it is because they will be coming down a different wire.....  ::)

Brian, a loyal Cox customer starting this Saturday!  :rotflmao:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2417 on: January 11, 2017, 01:29:02 PM »
My daughter switches between Direct TV and Dish for tv as well as between Sprint, T-mobil and Verizon for phone every few years for this exact reason.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2418 on: January 11, 2017, 02:38:36 PM »
I'm going to try that tact with auto/home insurance.  I was with Progressive (progressively gets higher for no reason) and then went to SafeCo.  SafeCo is now nearly as high as Progressive was.  So, I'll see what Progressive looks like this coming May.  Probably about time to switch wireless as well.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:19:31 PM by VirginiaJim »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2419 on: January 11, 2017, 04:01:18 PM »
At least you HAVE two providers to switch between.  I MY neighborhood, we only have Cox because I guess Verizon didn't deem us rich enough (although they did a few miles away).  Even still, Cox plays the "oh sign this contract for a special X rate" and every year my bill suddenly explodes up by 30 to 50% and I have to call and threaten to close the account and whatnot until I get the super-special-loyal-customer but TEMPORARY rate for another year.  Which is typically about 10% more than what I was paying.

It gets very tiring.