Author Topic: Way too hot !!  (Read 8317 times)

Offline ZedHed

Way too hot !!
« on: July 23, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »
We are in day 58 of 100+ degree temps and consecutive day 32 of 100+  Anyone think it's too hot to ride in North Texas?  You wimps on the East Coast need to quit whining about just a couple of 100+ degree days.  Just so you know, our highest temp has reached 114 withOUT the heat index.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Way too hot !!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 04:06:30 PM »
We are in day 58 of 100+ degree temps and consecutive day 32 of 100+  Anyone think it's too hot to ride in North Texas?  You wimps on the East Coast need to quit whining about just a couple of 100+ degree days.  Just so you know, our highest temp has reached 114 withOUT the heat index.

I wasn't wining about the 100 two days ago 103 yesterday and 101 temperatures today (VA), only about the humidity!

Because you KNOW you have a much better "dry heat" :) :P    (And no, I didn't ride at all the past several days)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 04:18:48 PM »
VERY HUMID AND HOT!!!!
I worked in Agawam,Mass Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday outside all day. I was lowering scaffolding down off a bridge with a rope. 175 mile ride to work Wednesday. No traffic. 175 mile ride home, extra hour of traffic. So Thursday I packed to stay the night and ride home in Friday traffic. Connie said it was 106 deg. at 4:00 pm Friday and she don't lie much. Left work at 2:30 pm Friday and got home at 6:40pm. It was very hot and humid, but I didn't complain, just did it. I feel we need to enjoy everyday that brings us no snow and just ride. 4 hour ride at 100 deg+ or not.
Joel from Maine.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 04:52:20 PM »
It's been over 114 several times here in the Valley of the Sun (Phx, AZ area).  Not so bad if you are riding for pleasure, you can do the cool vest/collar thing, carry a camelback and wear lighter clothes under the gear.  It's a bit rougher if you have to be in the office around other people when you've been sweating like a pig perspiring heavily. 

Stay hydrated, wear sunscreen  ( Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) ), and don't wimp out on the gear.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
Yeah well Mom always told me to look out the window when arriving in a new area; if there is no grass there, keep going 'cause you don't want to live there; it is too hot, too cold, or too dry to grow grass then it is too nasty for human habitation.  ;D  Pretty good advice for me as I cannot take heat. I have never experienced high temperatures with low humidity but it is pretty dry in my oven and the turkeys don't fare all that well in there.

Still hot here (for me anyway) in the mid- 90's and humidity approaching 100% (104% anywhere on my body when outside). I stay inside or use an air conditioned car when it is like this outside- I can ride at 11F but I cannot tolerate 100F on a bike.

Tomorrow should be cooler and we will be going a couple of hours from home on the bike. The forecast is calling for mid- 80's and that is not too bad with mesh gear and a helmet as long as I can keep moving. It is still way too hot when stuck in traffic on the highway, usually on I-95N in CT..... ugh!

Brian

It's been over 114 several times here in the Valley of the Sun (Phx, AZ area).  Not so bad if you are riding for pleasure, you can do the cool vest/collar thing, carry a camelback and wear lighter clothes under the gear.  It's a bit rougher if you have to be in the office around other people when you've been sweating like a pig perspiring heavily. 

Stay hydrated, wear sunscreen <snip>, and don't wimp out on the gear.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »
We don't have the heat in Washington State!  But we do have alot of people killing themselves because they are freakin depress looking at the gray sky 345 days a year.   :o
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline booger

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 07:05:51 PM »
and don't wimp out on the gear.

I wimped out today and went a bought an open-faced helmet.  Just too damned hot to wear a full face here in S. Texas.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
I wasn't wining about the 100 two days ago 103 yesterday and 101 temperatures today (VA), only about the humidity!

Because you KNOW you have a much better "dry heat" :) :P    (And no, I didn't ride at all the past several days)

114 degrees is 114 degrees -- yakking about humidity is just an excuse.  Think about it being over 100 and never being cooler for 3 solid months?  We are on track to have 90 days of 100+ temps in ONE summer.  What is 5 or 10 days of 100+ compared to that?

White Hot North Texas summer -- no wimps need apply......

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 10:46:52 PM »
82 in the PNW today, had to take my liner out of my jacket...  :o

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 05:21:23 AM »
speaking of heat.  any one else notice that some of the leftest leaning weathermen are reporting heat index as real temp.  its been high 90's here but keep seeing 105- 110 reported as real temp....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 06:05:12 AM »
114 degrees is 114 degrees -- yakking about humidity is just an excuse.  Think about it being over 100 and never being cooler for 3 solid months?  We are on track to have 90 days of 100+ temps in ONE summer.  What is 5 or 10 days of 100+ compared to that?

White Hot North Texas summer -- no wimps need apply......

Of course, the correct response would be:  "MOVE!!!"

(And, actually, humidity plays a HUGE role in the effect of temperature on humans, since we use an evaporative cooling system that gets rapidly worse the higher the humidity is).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 06:09:07 AM »
speaking of heat.  any one else notice that some of the leftest leaning weathermen are reporting heat index as real temp.  its been high 90's here but keep seeing 105- 110 reported as real temp....

I have seen that before and it is extremely annoying.
Don't know about "left"... it is just stupid.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 07:22:45 AM »
I wimped out today and went a bought an open-faced helmet.  Just too damned hot to wear a full face here in S. Texas.

It doesn't help. It just blows hot air on your face.

To all you folks in the Northeast who are feeling the heat, now you know what it's like to ride in Dallas from June through September!

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 08:31:23 AM »
Way better than Maine from November to March.
Joel from Maine.

Joncon11

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 08:49:49 AM »
Anything 90+ all feels the same to me, once i'm hot, i'm hot, the temp doesn't matter. Still riding every day here in NC, full gear, it's too much fun to complain. And when it's in the teens and lower, yep, i'll still be riding. Lets face it, you spend a huge chunk of your life traveling to and from work, why not make it fun? Not saying you shouldn't complain about the heat, just saying if it's all you have to complain about, life isn't all that bad...

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 09:34:36 AM »
I don't complain about the heat, I just don't do it.  I collapsed from heat exhaustion in my teens, and now I have a very low tolerance for heat.  I thought I was going to die while riding through Texas and Oklahoma.  The temps were around 100 - 112.  At one point while leaving California, I contemplated coming through Death Valley.  I'm SO glad I didn't! 

No complaints, I just don't ride.  I ride pretty much every day the other 10 months of the year!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Joncon11

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 11:02:20 AM »
I don't complain about the heat, I just don't do it.  I collapsed from heat exhaustion in my teens, and now I have a very low tolerance for heat.  I thought I was going to die while riding through Texas and Oklahoma.  The temps were around 100 - 112.  At one point while leaving California, I contemplated coming through Death Valley.  I'm SO glad I didn't! 

No complaints, I just don't ride.  I ride pretty much every day the other 10 months of the year!

Agreed, this is a very logical approach to a common problem. There is a difference between tolerance and comfort. I can FUNCTION just fine in whatever the south can throw at me. That's not to say that it doesn't get UNCOMFORTABLE. Fortunately for me, that doesn't make riding any less fun. I grew up riding all year round' in New England so I have seen the whole gambit of weather. The only way I won't ride is if there is a safety issue, riding certainly isn't worth dying for. Drink lots of water and go for a ride!!

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 11:24:21 AM »
Way better than Maine from November to March.

That's true. I do enjoy year round riding. Unfortunately, only about three months of the year offer nice, comfortable riding weather. It seems to go from winter to summer with three weeks of spring in between.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 01:36:47 PM »

Come on down to Houston then.  From Mid may through Mid October we have every day what  you guys are getting.  Our average high temps for the past two months have been around 98 and our humidity is awful. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 05:23:20 PM »
Come on down to Houston then.  From Mid may through Mid October we have every day what  you guys are getting.  Our average high temps for the past two months have been around 98 and our humidity is awful.

No heat sissies in Houston, when the heat here in N. TX starts to get me down, I think about how much worse it is in Houston and it doesn't seem so bad after all.  You go outside in Houston in the summer and you are instantly soaked in sweat -- inhumane !!