Author Topic: Michelin PR3 tire chunking.....  (Read 17829 times)

Offline mike

Michelin PR3 tire chunking.....
« on: June 27, 2011, 03:08:12 PM »
Sorry if this is a repost, i saw this on another forum & thought i'd share. If this passes for quality control @ michelin it's not a good sign.
http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/35444-michelin-pilot-road-3-here-8.html

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
Re: Michelin PR3 tire chunking.....
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 03:33:17 PM »
Guess I don't have it so bad......WOW!  :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 03:44:41 PM »
 :yikes:

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 03:47:55 PM »
Every manufacturer has a tire that fails.  My PR3's and 1,000,000 others have been great.

And if you read it and saw the internet pics does that show you what the guy ran over to shred that tire!???   No, its the internet it just has to be true "I saw it in a forum"

It may have been them squiddish pegs destroyed the tire
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 03:55:01 PM »
Every manufacturer has a tire that fails.  My PR3's and 1,000,000 others have been great.

And if you read it and saw the internet pics does that show you what the guy ran over to shred that tire!???   No, its the internet it just has to be true "I saw it in a forum"

Are you saying that not everything on the internet is true????  :o  ;)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 04:04:37 PM »
He already got 10,000 miles out of em, so he was due for a new set anyway.   ;D

Seriously though, that looks like a serious problem, hopefully this was an isolated incident.

Conrad, are you Sofa King on the FZ6 forum?
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline mike

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 04:31:44 PM »
He had 10,000 miles on the bike. He said he was running 33psi fr / 38 psi r. in my opinion that's a little low for commuting on the street. either way a tire should not delaminate like that.. blisters on a worn tire are one thing but those are chunks.

Offline mike

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 04:34:01 PM »

i know you drank the michelin kool-aid and i just wonder what would you say if these were dunlops or metzlers....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »
Probably the same thing I would think.  However, in this case I agree with him.   Until we hear of it happening on a C14 I'm going to hold off on the 'sky is falling' bit.  As these tires are new, though, I think I will keep an eye on them but I'm not going to pan them.  Quite the opposite, I just did a 1500 mile trip on them and am quite impressed on how well they did at speed, the twisties, and in wet.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 05:09:18 PM »
Yikes!  :o

I'll tune into this one for sure, +1 on hoping it's an isolated case... :popcorn:

Bob

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 05:33:08 PM »

You've gone through 1,000,001 sets of tires. I guess you do ride a lot. Of course I also see your on your defend Michelin at all costs crusade again!  :o   :rotflmao:

Offline Gsun

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 06:30:39 PM »

Did you read on in that post to see that the front tire shredded as well and caused him to crash? Plus, I can't see hitting debris as causing that. Look at the failure points. They are almost exactly the same spot on both side of the tire.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 06:34:04 PM »
Did you read on in that post to see that the front tire shredded as well and caused him to crash? Plus, I can't see hitting debris as causing that. Look at the failure points. They are almost exactly the same spot on both side of the tire.

Woodpeckers??

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 06:44:23 PM »
Hey, that tire makes a car tire on a motorcycle start to look like a good idea, eh Conrad?

::)

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 06:47:25 PM »
Hey, that tire makes a car tire on a motorcycle start to look like a good idea, eh Conrad?

::)

Brian

Or how about one made of wood??    ;)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Maybe but I think you'd have to be careful to pick a very good wood to make a motorcycle tire. A fine, tough and beautiful wood.... perhaps something like Amboyna Burl from Southeast Asia?

Brian

Or how about one made of wood??    ;)

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 06:54:53 PM »
Maybe but I think you'd have to be careful to pick a very good wood to make a motorcycle tire. A fine, tough and beautiful wood.... perhaps something like Amboyna Burl from Southeast Asia?

Brian

:rotflmao:

I knew I could count on you Brian!!  :thumbs:

Would that set of tires by chance come with a matching bowl??  ;D

So are you back home now or still in the PNW?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 07:01:52 PM »

Brian

Somebody call my name?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Somebody call my name?

I love this place, this one never gets old!!  :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

:grouphug: