Author Topic: BMW 1600 GTL  (Read 8574 times)

Offline TJ

BMW 1600 GTL
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »
Looked at one yesterday and thought WOW! Anyone here ride one? Opinions?
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline koval68

Re: BMW 1600 GTL
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:27:35 AM »
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:28:49 AM »
A friend just bought a GT last week. Says it's a torque monster.

Correction-GTL.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline ugocon

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:27:22 AM »
My avatar says it all.
They're over-evaluated.
They're not the best, many years ago, maybe.
They're good bikes but don't believe they're any longer manufactured ENTIRELY in Germany (the main feature pushing so many people to buy them)
Many parts are imported from China if not ASSEMBLED there (at least in Taiwan)
That is the new strategy of German brands: keep a "German" price while having "Chinese" costs.
Rehearsals of this are in the latest BMW 650 scooter: the engine is built in Kymco, Taiwan, but BMW denied it, at first, then admitted it after pictures and wiitnesses.

Look at Volkswagen; they are built in Germany, but some important components are Chinese (PRC). The quality of the German components is outstanding, but, just as an example, if the plastic impeller of the water pump fails (assuming that is a small, cheap, Chinese component) the ENTIRE car is out of order, thus the OVERALL quality is spoiled by few, small, insignificant but vital components.

This is the new deal of the frightening, mighty German economy... but they try to keep it confidential.

Have a close look at the BMW 1600 GTL: plastics rules!
And this is what you can see: figure what's inside the parts you cannot see!

I prefer much more a transparent communication, stating that that particular vehicle has some kind of components, that those components are supervised while manufactures, that they do the best effort to guarantee a good quality but that the economic downturn has forced them to look for cheaper components, instead of false and subtle announcement like "spend your hardly earned $20.000 but you get pure German quality in return"  ...and it's NOT TRUE!!!

>:(

Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:48:54 AM »

Look at Volkswagen; they are built in Germany, but some important components are Chinese (PRC). The quality of the German components is outstanding, but, just as an example, if the plastic impeller of the water pump fails (assuming that is a small, cheap, Chinese component) the ENTIRE car is out of order, thus the OVERALL quality is spoiled by few, small, insignificant but vital components.

>:(

Actually, not all VWs are built in Germany. Jettas, among others, are built in Mexico.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ugocon

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 12:14:25 PM »
Actually, not all VWs are built in Germany. Jettas, among others, are built in Mexico.
Yes, but this is well known and is for the American market (No more Jetta in Italy and I think in Western Europe too...).
I'm talking about Golf, Passat and so on... and possibly Skoda and SEAT models (owned by VW).
But most of all they save costs on small cars you probably don't know about in the US, like the Up! (999 cc, 3 cyl.) but that are important sales in Europe.
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline eng943

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »
I owned a K1600GT, which is virtually identical, and I can honestly say it was the most impressive bike I have ever owned.

I find the K16 to be a bike with few compromises. As a touring bike, it excels by having tremendous weather protection, good range, and comfort and conveniences either not found, or duplicated as well on other bikes. It has great two-up ability as well.

On the sport side, the way that bike steers and corners is beyond the laws of physics. It almost inspired too much confidence. I remember coming into corners much faster and relying on the K16's ability to almost intuitively take a more aggressive angle. It is incredibly stable, yet is the most flickable ST bike I have ever ridden.

The engine is AMAZING. Electric motor smooth, and torque out the wazoo. The K16 absolutely rips, and having a passenger on the back is almost transparent as far as acceleration goes. No downshifting required, just hammer the throttle and the bike takes off even two up.

My only complaints were the ride by wire felt a bit artificial, I prefer an honest to goodness cable. Also, the transmission was a little notchy. Not bad, but I expect perfection for the price the K16 demands. Those were my only complaints.

As far as value.....jeez. Guys here get their shorts all bunched up on this topic. I look at it this way....go price a loaded Goldwing, and a loaded Ultra Classic if you need to feel better about what a K16 costs. Go ride all three, and if you are a ST type of person, the K16 will blow the wind up your kilt like the others cannot.

Materials, fit and finish were all of excellent quality.

As an aside, outsourcing is the way of the world. Everyone does it, and that does not necessarily mean quality needlessly suffers. I owned 5 BMW's in a row before moving to my C14, and never had any trouble.

In the end, take one for a ride, and if it speaks to you and you can afford it, I would not hesitate if I were you.         

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 05:20:44 PM »
I owned a K1600GT

Why did you get rid of it?  ??? :-\

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 05:33:30 PM »

...sounds like we're slumming with our lowly c14s. I feel unclean.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »
I would buy the new Triumph Trophy long before I would buy a BMW.
My 2013 V.W. Passat tdi is built in Chatanooga Tn., Jettas are made in Mexico, and the Golfs will be made in Mexico this year. I love my Passat and wouldn't trade that for a BMW either.
Joel from Maine.

Offline eng943

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 06:21:35 PM »

Personal reasons.
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.

Offline eng943

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 06:22:34 PM »
I would buy the new Triumph Trophy long before I would buy a BMW.
My 2013 V.W. Passat tdi is built in Chatanooga Tn., Jettas are made in Mexico, and the Golfs will be made in Mexico this year. I love my Passat and wouldn't trade that for a BMW either.

I was really excited about the Trophy. Then I rode it and posted my riding impressions in another thread. I really though that was going to be THE next bike, but it did not make me want to sign on the dotted line. 

Offline eng943

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 06:33:51 PM »
...sounds like we're slumming with our lowly c14s. I feel unclean.

Somehow I knew that in spite of no unkind word said about my C14, my mostly positive experiences with my K16 would ruffle feathers. I have owned my C14 for about a year now, and think it's a great bike overall, and certainly a raging bargain.

I don't know about you, but it's a little sad when a forum member asks for some qualified opinions good or bad about a BMW, and the only guy to get gang tackled in the thread is the one that has had a positive BMW ownership experience.

Trust me, it's my pleasure to be the nonconformist here.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »
I have had a very positive BMW too. This thing has done such a great job since I've owned it. It is perfect
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43202

Great rain gear.

Joel from Maine.

Offline eng943

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 07:11:16 PM »
I have had a very positive BMW too. This thing has done such a great job since I've owned it. It is perfect
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43202

Great rain gear.

Overpriced junk, made in China. Joe Rocket rain gear is better. ;D

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 07:32:52 PM »
Probably junk,but it works good for me. Keeps me dry. If I ever need it again I'll buy Froggtoggs.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 08:34:47 PM »
Somehow I knew that in spite of no unkind word said about my C14, my mostly positive experiences with my K16 would ruffle feathers. I have owned my C14 for about a year now, and think it's a great bike overall, and certainly a raging bargain.

I don't know about you, but it's a little sad when a forum member asks for some qualified opinions good or bad about a BMW, and the only guy to get gang tackled in the thread is the one that has had a positive BMW ownership experience.

Trust me, it's my pleasure to be the nonconformist here.

No "gang tackling" that I can see'. I'm very interested in your evaluation of the K1600. Given your praise and the implication you no longer own it, "why did you get rid of it" is a natural question. I also respect your response of "personal reasons". Long story short, it's all good and thank you for letting us know your thoughts on this bike.

Offline TJ

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 08:10:44 AM »
Thanks for the comments, especially from the guys who actually rode or owned one. Being 60 years old I have ZERO brand loyalty towards any bike or car company. I buy what I like and what suits me, as long as it is considered to be a good machine.

My options at this point are to to keep the Concours and add a Triumph XC 800 or trade the Concours in on the BMW. Going to wait and see what type of riding I enjoy the most in our new home state before making another purchase.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 10:20:05 AM »
Outsourcing?
I bet most people don't know that many car and trucks (and many other items) built in this country are made from steel produced in plants owned by a Russian company.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 12:04:56 PM »
No "gang tackling" that I can see'. I'm very interested in your evaluation of the K1600. Given your praise and the implication you no longer own it, "why did you get rid of it" is a natural question. I also respect your response of "personal reasons". Long story short, it's all good and thank you for letting us know your thoughts on this bike.

I think there is a new Ducati in the garage.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey