Author Topic: Low compression tuning?  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Hwy 49er

Re: Low compression tuning?
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM »
You say "lots of missing" but you don't give any details. Is it all the time and throughout the entire rpm range? Or is it just at idle? Does it change as the engine warms up? What about at wide open throttle?

The missing is most noticeable at idle and low speed cruising. Enough to make the bike feel like the the final drive is bouncing at the soft coupling. At highway speeds it is very faint. It is not as severe as if you just pulled a wire and it was no spark missing. More like missing because of vacuum, intake boot, insulator, or dirty filter.

At idle it would no be: brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

More like: brrrrrbabrrrrrrrrrrrbababrrrrrrrrrrbrrrrrrbabrrrrrrrrrrrrrbrrrrrrrrrrrbrrrrrrrrrbabrrrrrrrrrrrrr
'01, 54000 Miles, SISF power jetting with overflow tubes and foam in the air box, K&N air filter, stick coils, fork brace

Offline jklhill

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 03:16:43 PM »
A quick guess would be dirty carbs. You might want to give them a thorough inspection and cleaning. I did read that Steve had them about 5,000 miles ago but carbs can get dirty and jets/orifices clogged a lot quicker than that. I could be wrong but if it were my bike I would want to eliminate the possibility. jmho

Offline Hwy 49er

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 09:05:01 PM »
A quick guess would be dirty carbs. You might want to give them a thorough inspection and cleaning. I did read that Steve had them about 5,000 miles ago but carbs can get dirty and jets/orifices clogged a lot quicker than that. I could be wrong but if it were my bike I would want to eliminate the possibility. jmho

I wish I had a set of carbs to throw in to check.
'01, 54000 Miles, SISF power jetting with overflow tubes and foam in the air box, K&N air filter, stick coils, fork brace

Offline jklhill

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 10:09:36 PM »
I wish I had a set of carbs to throw in to check.

I hear ya