Author Topic: Popping when engine braking  (Read 15443 times)

Offline Rowlander

Popping when engine braking
« on: May 17, 2011, 01:49:10 AM »
Before the site crash, I seem to remember a thread saying to plug or remove something to correct this. Could someone please refresh my memory? Thank You in advance.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Re: Popping when engine braking
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:12:52 AM »
Guaranteed to work.  http://www.holeshot.com/
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline DaveO

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »
you could use brakes for braking instead of motor. Its what they are  made for.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:03:07 AM »
Well, you have a choice: you can put one plug into the air hose on the right side of the engine, or two plugs in your ears.  :D

There is an air induction hose on the top / right of the engine that draws air into the exhaust and that is what is causing the decel popping. Some folks pull the hose out of the frame (nothing retains or fastens it in there), plug it with something and reinsert it. If you do that though, be careful that the plug cannot work loose from the hose because it will end up inside the frame and will probably end up being sucked down one of the throttle bodies.

Brian

Before the site crash, I seem to remember a thread saying to plug or remove something to correct this. Could someone please refresh my memory? Thank You in advance.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »
I think this is for a CA bike but I'm not sure

http://www.holeshot.com/Concours_c14/c14decel_inst.html
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 11:05:51 AM »
That's the one- all C-14s sold in the US have that air induction system and the way they show blocking the hose will work on any bike.

Brian

I think this is for a CA bike but I'm not sure

http://www.holeshot.com/Concours_c14/c14decel_inst.html
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 01:03:49 PM »
You are a genius. What's your e-mail??? Whenever we have a question, we will just go to you directly for the answer. Instead of a simple plug solution, we will just change people's perfectly legitimate riding practices. But hey, a sarcastic comment is so much more helpful than an actual contribution to the community.

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »
Thanks to all for the help. It is not a huge problem, just a minor annoyance that will be nice to get rid of.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 02:04:35 PM »
You are a genius. What's your e-mail??? Whenever we have a question, we will just go to you directly for the answer. Instead of a simple plug solution, we will just change people's perfectly legitimate riding practices. But hey, a sarcastic comment is so much more helpful than an actual contribution to the community.

well just throw some $$ at the problem ,dont try to get at the root of it or improve riding skills.

Offline Wild_Bill

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 02:14:35 PM »
Do you have the stock exhaust or was it replaced
If it was replaced then the engine is running lean. It should not pop with the stock exhaust

Bill
Formerly known as Badnews_Bill

Offline gflint

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 02:25:34 PM »
When I went to the after market exhaust the popping got bad.  I put on a PCV and that reduced the popping but it still exists.

Some people are getting just a little bit snippy here.  I do not use the brakes every time I close the throttle so the " use brakes for braking" comment is totally out of line. 
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »
Even with flies in and stock exhaust the bike with have decel pops.  It's just not very audible.  Usually, when making modifications like pulling the flies and/or replacing exhaust will make more audible.

As suggested, plugging that line should fix it.
T.S.R.

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 02:47:23 PM »
It is stock exhaust. I have removed the flies and am going to install the pc today or tomorrow. While I'm at it I will throw $$ at it(25 cents) to plug the line and see if the popping goes away. Like I said, it's not a huge problem, nor is it loud, but I would like to get rid of it. I'm not part of the all out throttle or brake crowd. I'm not sure when engine braking became a sin. ;)

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 02:48:55 PM »
Yeah the "popping" is normal and doesn't mean the bike is running lean.  It's caused by an emissions system that injects fresh air (containing oxygen) into the exhaust which lets any unburnt fuel combust in the exhaust system instead of releasing it into the air.  It is annoying with an aftermarket exhaust system.  And I've heard it can also interfere with dyno tuning because the extra O2 can cause the wideband O2 sensor to read inaccurately.  Plugging the hose will solve the problem.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 02:55:31 PM »

Brakes are for stopping and gears are for slowing down.......................
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline DaveO

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 03:24:55 PM »
thats one level of riding i suppose

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 03:39:30 PM »
DaveO,

Are you saying that you never use engine braking?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »
Is there any part of the bike that can be used for speeding up?

<chuckle>

Brian

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 03:49:41 PM »
Just be careful to plug the line from the airbox to the head, and not the line from the airbox to the crankcase vent.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 05:03:39 PM »
thats one level of riding i suppose

I have been known to have many levels.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey