Author Topic: What causes front tire cupping?  (Read 535 times)

Offline Tylerkaz

What causes front tire cupping?
« on: May 01, 2021, 10:49:26 PM »
Just replaced my front tire due to cupping, what whould cause cupping so it dosent hapen to my new one? My pressure is right at 42. I do not consider myself to be riding this bike hard and never realy brake hard. My old tire was a shinko my new one is a michelin pr2.

Thanks

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: What causes front tire cupping?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 05:49:23 AM »
I believe it is mostly weight and tire design.   I also believe that riding under-pressured will accelerate cupping.

The OEM Brickstones cupped like crazy.  But the Michelin PR4s barely cup at all (with 42psi maintained).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jwh20

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 09:23:52 AM »
Basically it's just the way some tires wear.  It can be minimized by keeping your tires properly inflated and like many others, I find 42 psi works best.  Also some brands and models wear this way more than others.  I have Michelin PR4's on mine and there is no noticeable cupping at all.  The OEM tires, however, did it quite distinctively.

I don't think "riding hard" has much to do with it.  I suspect it's just due to the way the tire flexes as it rotates that causes this wear pattern.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 11:37:37 AM »
I think it is the angle and shape of the tread grooves in relation to direction of travel Whenever you turn the force wears more on the leading edges of the grooves than the trailing edge (or vice versa)
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.