Author Topic: It all started out so well  (Read 10619 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: It all started out so well
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »
Beer, of course!   :chugbeer:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »
I've heard of the RR having issues in the UK due to corrosion.  How did the bottom of it look?  Also, I did make a bet with myself that it might be the culprit.  Easy to say now, of course.

It doesn't look too bad.  Some caked-on dirt on the bottom plate.  No real external indication that it was faulty.

Offline Tree

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2017, 09:12:46 AM »
what did the winner get?

Add to the beer my thanks.  I will tie this thread up after I get the new one and I am, once again, passing CHP while I ride to work. (One of the benefits of splitting the lanes).  :D

Offline Tree

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2017, 09:20:38 AM »
Ordered a new one from Amazon.  $121 delivered with 2 day shipping.

Offline Tree

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2017, 12:22:11 AM »
But wait!  There's more!  Installed the new voltage regulator.  Attached the battery and saw/heard what I expected for a normal power up.  I started the bike.  It started right up.  Hell yes and congrats all around.

I put everything back together.  Started it once more while it was on the center stand.  Put it down on the kick stand and tried to start it one more time before taking it out on the road - NOTHING.  Crap.  Pretty sure the 30A fuse will be blown when I look at it.

It's late and I don't have any more patience to F with it tonight.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2017, 02:20:43 AM »
Put it down on the kick stand and tried to start it one more time before taking it out on the road - NOTHING.  Crap.  Pretty sure the 30A fuse will be blown when I look at it.

It's late and I don't have any more patience to F with it tonight.

You probably had it in gear with that side stand down and the safety lockout prevented you from starting it, maybe?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tree

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2017, 02:27:04 AM »
You probably had it in gear with that side stand down and the safety lockout prevented you from starting it, maybe?

I briefly thought of that but there was absolutely no electronic activity at all after I put it on the kick stand.  During the successful starts after replacing the regulator I saw that flashing red light again, not any more.  It was in neutral the entire time.

I just need some time to dig in again.  Maybe this weekend.

I don't want to miss the rally in Hollister this weekend but it don't look good.  Total Bummer.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:13:54 AM by Tree »

Offline Tree

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »
And I'm a complete idiot.  100% certified.

The term "Shot myself in the foot" applies here.  2 weeks ago I had replaced the bypass switch with one that had a longer handle (there's a thread on this forum somewhere "KIPASS Issue alive and well", it's a great read).  The longer handle made it easier to operate with gloves on.  The switch is on the LS plastic next to the tank/windshield/cluster area.  What I did not notice was the new switch was deeper.  So, I basically installed a short from one terminal to the rail for the windshield.  The short didn't present right away so I thought nothing of it when I started blowing fuses days later.  I guess the plastic finally moved into the right place when I parked the bike for the night and shorted when I went to start it later.

What I realize now was the short went away with the switch in the OFF position.  I took resistance readings with it in OFF.  The only reason I found it when I did was the fact that I noticed the arc when operating the switch this time.

- No, I did not have any e-tape on the switch.  That would have been way too smart for this guy.  I may have given it some thought but all I saw was plastic in there.

- Yes, I purchased and installed a new voltage regulator that I did not need.

- Yes, this event lasted close to 2 weeks.

And, finally... YES, I AM GOING TO THE BIKE RALLY IN HOLLISTER THIS WEEKEND!!!

To all of you that offered their advice and good wishes in this thread I give you thanks.  I hope this electrical troubleshooting debacle has inspired anyone who reads this to ask a simple question prior to fixing an electrical issue  "What was the last thing I had my hands on that had something to do with electrical?"

Ride safe everyone.

Tree - OUT

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2017, 09:36:19 PM »
Well, good on you for 'fessin' up. We all step in it but few admit to it so my thanks for owning your mishap and maybe saving someone else from the same thing. But even better, good on you for 'fessing up because it might allow a few more folks to think that they too may have made a mistake (the bane of all humans) and look at the last work he / she did for the solution.

Having a big ego is fine and all but listening, thinking of the possibilities and really looking for the cause instead of insisting that "I" did not do anything wrong costs a lot of time an effort.

I have done it myself of course but sometimes it is hard to really think I myself was the root cause. Best to get beyond that and move toward fixing the actual problem, as you did.

Your punishment (two weeks of troubleshooting and no riding ) was beyond ample. IMO, you acquitted yourself well by telling what really happened. Kudos to you and enjoy that rally!

Brian

And I'm a complete idiot.  100% certified.

<snip>

To all of you that offered their advice and good wishes in this thread I give you thanks.  I hope this electrical troubleshooting debacle has inspired anyone who reads this to ask a simple question prior to fixing an electrical issue  "What was the last thing I had my hands on that had something to do with electrical?"

Ride safe everyone.

Tree - OUT
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Tree

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2017, 10:12:35 PM »
Thanks Brian.  Now, if I could only get that windshield to work...  Never mind.  I've had enough for now.   :D