Author Topic: 2016 announced  (Read 24166 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: 2016 announced
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2015, 11:51:27 AM »
nope..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2015, 12:15:12 PM »
Agreed! Wait... what?

I'm NOT offended - so no worries - I know we are all different and one size does not fit all and what I like maybe someone else wouldn't.

Just a few "corrections" IMO

The built in Nav in my SUV is much better than my Garmin.  On an Interstate it will show the next 3 exits and the mileage to each.  Rest stops too.  ;D
That is a great feature - It counts down the mileage as you get closer and as you pass an exit the next exit will show up with the distance to it.
A Garmin will show ONLY the next (1) exit and NOT show you how far it is to it.  SO if they put a system like that on a bike, it would blow away a Garmin, IMO.

Adjustable handle bars and grips might not work for everyone but even if it worked for only 50% of riders it would be worth it.
Some is better then none, again IMO.

Backrests - Have you ever used one?  I think not - only that you think they would be useless.  I have used them and like them.

Just allow the latch to close down with the lock open. You can't remove the key unless it's in the locked position.  And even if you could
you would be risking the bag(s) falling off while riding - that and maybe the cover opening.  Other bikes don't have to have a key to open the saddlebags.

OK the USB ports don't have to go in the blank cover spot - but with so many devices using USB for charging a port or 2 somewhere on the bike would be nice.

Well at least we agree that Cruise Should be Standard.
I also agree that the speedometers should be accurate - just like a car. 

The above are my opinions alone - if you agree fine - if you don't agree fine.  Different strokes for different folks.

Just a few more "corrections" IMO

So you want Kawasaki to adopt YOUR built-in nav and make it standard equipment? Just because it's built-in doesn't mean it's going to do everything you want it to do. Many, if not most, built-in navs stink. I can buy the nav that's in your car and RAM mount it to my bike.

So adjustable bars that don't fit the other 50% have to be scrapped anyway and an aftermarket solution fitted. This is the problem with the, for example, Yamaha solution. Yeah, it adjusts, but none of the positions are particularly helpful.

Backrests are nice, but there are just as many backs as there are butts, and the factory offers, at most, two seats.

You miss the point on the luggage. Correct, it is designed so you can't remove the key without locking. BUT, there are separate latches for opening the lid and removing the box. There is an easy solution that wouldn't add thousands to the sticker price. Give the key lock three positions: (1) locked; (2) unlocked, release lid opening latch; (3) remove, release carrying handle.  It was one of the features I did like on the Triumph Explorer. And technically, a more positive catch could be added to the carrying handle to keep it from releasing accidentally and keep the same two position lock; just allow the key to be removed.

I would prefer just another 12V outlet if they were going to do something from the factory in the second port. That way, you can pop in a dual USB thing if you want, or something else.

All of the features you mention are definitely worthwhile; I am saying they are not worthwhile from the factory. The factory could only offer one option; the aftermarket has multiple offerings to fit taste, comfort, convenience, etc.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Leo

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »
I would like to see it in the Eddie Lawson Kawasaki race bike green.    I didn't say I would buy one that color, just want to see one ;D
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2015, 06:05:45 PM »
yep
nope..
Maybe.
I also agree that the speedometers should be accurate - just like a car. 

You've found one that's accurate in a car? Is that something new?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2015, 06:37:59 PM »
If i had cruise, I'd use it. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2015, 07:32:23 PM »

My vehicles match my Garmin as they should.

If car speedometers were not accurate there would be outrage especially if tickets were involved.
Recalls would be rampant too.

It's strange that most motorcycles are NOT accurate but we as a group (of motorcyclists) don't demand accurate speedos.
Do we really believe they can't make them accurate?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2015, 07:56:22 PM »
Well maybe it is something new. Our newest vehicle is a 2010 with lots of features that my regular drive 2002 model doesn't even come close to, but both say they are going faster than they really are.

If car speedometers were not accurate there would be outrage especially if tickets were involved.
Recalls would be rampant too.
Well OK, now you're just making up stuff.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2015, 08:16:36 PM »

I have been using GPS in my vehicles for many years (last three cars, last three motorcycles).  Not a single vehicle has had an accurate speedometer.  And I would define accurate as within 1%.  The worst was 6% and the best was about 2.5%.

If car speedometers were not accurate there would be outrage especially if tickets were involved.  Recalls would be rampant too.

Not likely.  My understanding is that regulations require that speedometers be optimistic (err on reading too high).   And manufacturers do not want to get in trouble, so the inaccuracy is quite intentional as a safety margin for them.

It's strange that most motorcycles are NOT accurate but we as a group (of motorcyclists) don't demand accurate speedos.

I think all speedometers should be as accurate as possible, doesn't matter if it is a car or motorcycle.  But what I want doesn't amount to squat :)

Do we really believe they can't make them accurate?

All vehicles can be made accurate if that was a goal of the vehicle manufacturers.  It is not difficult at all nor to maintain it that way (assuming correctly sized tires are used along with maintaining correct tire pressures).  There will still be some variance- tire wear and under-inflation being the most significant.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2015, 09:18:08 PM »
GPS based speedo's would be accurate. Other than that, there will always be issues.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2015, 09:38:54 PM »
I haven't driven a vehicle in the last 10 years with OE tires where the speedo did not match GPS and/or the speed trap and slow down radars on the side of the road perfectly. Zero error. Four Dodges, two Fords, one Jeep, one Chevy, one Honda, and one Toyota. Bikes are different. Error designed into the speedo. Kawi ZR7 10% high at all speeds, C14 2mph high all speeds, Triumph Explorer no error below 40mph but 3mph high above that. Speedo needs to be right and can be right.

Let me rephrase... zero perceptible error. I can't see 1% error at 55-70mph, so if that level of error is present, then I can allow it. Even 2% is only 1mph at 60, so I admit I don't know if there is zero error, but it is below my detection limit in cars. On all bikes, it is enough to make me mad all day long, so I can detect that.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Leo

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »
I have a Ford Crown Vic with a digital speedo.   It is either exactly right or 1 mph off with radar traps or nav systems.  The Grand Marquis all were also.  I figured that since that is the platform of so many police cars they took time to get it right.

When I ride with friends on Harleys, if they are leading we end up 5mph under the limit.  When I lead I ride about 5 over the limit on my speedo.  To a man, they all accuse me of racing and taking chances getting the whole group a ticket.   They claim I am 10-15 over the limit.   These are factory fresh road Kings, tour glides, etc.  I have never clicked through one of the road side speed readers more than a couple off the mark, and my bikes usually run a Gold Wing size front tire.

At least they are not like the old MoPar Muscle cars.  My cars needle would be pointing a full inch past 120 on the speedo, and my official time ticket at the strip would say I was only doing 108 through the trap.   So much for all those 135 or 140 mph bragging rights.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2015, 04:28:30 PM »
I have been using GPS in my vehicles for many years (last three cars, last three motorcycles).  Not a single vehicle has had an accurate speedometer.  And I would define accurate as within 1%.  The worst was 6% and the best was about 2.5%.

What I meant to say was my 4 wheel vehicles are accurate - but none of my motorcycles have been accurate from the factory.

Not likely.  My understanding is that regulations require that speedometers be optimistic (err on reading too high).   And manufacturers do not want to get in trouble, so the inaccuracy is quite intentional as a safety margin for them.

Require - really? - who told you that? 

I think all speedometers should be as accurate as possible, doesn't matter if it is a car or motorcycle.  But what I want doesn't amount to squat :)

Me too.

All vehicles can be made accurate if that was a goal of the vehicle manufacturers.  It is not difficult at all nor to maintain it that way (assuming correctly sized tires are used along with maintaining correct tire pressures).  There will still be some variance- tire wear and under-inflation being the most significant.

There is the $64,000 question is why don't they make them accurate - Do they think they are doing us a favor by making them read
faster then we are going?   This also screws us mileage wise as it shows more miles then what are really on the bike.   :banghead:

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »
This last statement is not accurate. The odo is correct and gets a different signaling source than the speedo on just about every bike. Your miles are good.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2015, 07:48:55 AM »
I use cruise control as a safety feature.  It allows me to keep my eyes on the road and watch for hazards instead of constantly checking my speed.  Of course it is not needed if you are always following someone, but I ride on a lot of roads where I might see another vehicle once every 10 minutes or so if they are busy.

I will choose cruise every time.

Now that I have experienced electronically adjustable suspension,  I will also choose it if available.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2015, 08:21:13 AM »
This last statement is not accurate. The odo is correct and gets a different signaling source than the speedo on just about every bike. Your miles are good.

I disagree - sorry.

I reset my Garmin to zero and the bike to zero miles on the trip odometers.

The Garmin always shows less miles.  Now it's not something you will see in 5 or 10 miles but if you ride 75 miles or more they will be different.  I'll bet on it.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2015, 09:00:18 AM »
I disagree - sorry.

The Garmin always shows less miles.  Now it's not something you will see in 5 or 10 miles but if you ride 75 miles or more they will be different.  I'll bet on it.

How much different?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2015, 09:14:29 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2015, 08:47:35 PM »
I disagree - sorry.

Looks like I've found a sparring partner on this forum. Just kidding; that's just a jab. Oh, wait...Just kidding again.

With which part do you disagree? I admit that half, +/- 25% of what I wrote is wrong. What I meant to say was something different. Take a bike that has a cable speedo/odo driven off the front hub. Single source, but the odo can be made to be accurate while the speedo is still 10% high. They can be setup/calibrated separately from the factory so that if you ride at indicated 60mph constantly for an hour, the odo will only show 54 miles, because the true speed was 54mph. This is IF the clocks have been designed this way, such as my ZR7.

On an electrical system with a speed sensor, it depends on where the speed sensor is located; wheels or countershaft. Either way, the output to speedo and odo can be programmed differently to achieve accurate mileage while maintaining that insidious speedo error (which is done by design). Even the 'speedohealer' makers will say that healing a high speedo will lower an already accurate odo. Maybe some bikes have separate output for odo but I doubt it.

ANYWAY, what I like about forum conversations is the new stuff I learn using the dumb stuff I say as a springboard. I don't trust GPS mileage based on my anecdotal evidence (though I do trust the mph). For fun, since I have a new car and a new bike, I will check these and recheck my other bike. Just for fun. Besides, I've not seen mileage be a factor in bike values, especially the kind of miles that might be recorded if there really is 1-10% error.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2015, 09:08:07 PM »
To suggest that the speedo is inaccurate, but the odometer is correct, is some funny stuff. :rotflmao:
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2015, 09:10:05 PM »
Happy to entertain you. One of the reasons I write long posts. 8)

How 'bout those 2016's?

Oh yeah, it's a similar concept to how a second, minute, and hour hand can run different speeds from the same axis and source...gearing.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG