Author Topic: Any Big and Tall guys riding a C14?  (Read 11495 times)

Offline Curt

• Arena
Re: Any Big and Tall guys riding a C14?
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 11:48:04 AM »
6'2', 33" inseam and 34" sleaves

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 06:42:58 PM »
I don't have a pic of me on the bike.  I'm JUST south of 6'5" 250.  34" inseam, 34/35 sleeve length   My bike has the 1.5' Murphs risers WHICH ARE PERFECT!  I am riding with the Buell footpegs which are purported to lower the pegs by an inch, and I had my factory seat reworked by Spencer.  I find this riding position quite comfortable.  I sit just forward of perfectly upright, and I am good for 600+ a day. 

I DO wish I had a place to stretch my legs from time to time.  When we are on multi-day rides, I do find myself missing my highway pegs on my K1200LT.  I just let my legs hang a bit or walk them out more frequently!  I wouldn't trade this bike for anything!  Except well maybe a '14.
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »
I DO wish I had a place to stretch my legs from time to time.  When we are on multi-day rides, I do find myself missing my highway pegs on my K1200LT.  I just let my legs hang a bit or walk them out more frequently!  I wouldn't trade this bike for anything!  Except well maybe a '14.
Sounds like you need some cages and highway pegs.  :thumbs:

Offline lacofdfireman

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 09:54:14 PM »
I would love some real world comparisons if possible.  Has anyone out there rode either a BMW RT 1200 or an FJR 1300 that could give me some idea of which one they liked and for what reasons.  I know this is a C14 forum so it will favor the Connie riders but I would love to hear from anyone that has ridden both or even owned some of the other Sport Touring machines.  I have owned an FJR before and while I did like the bike I am not opposed to trying something different like the C14 or the RT.  Also I talked to a guy riding an 08 C14 the other day and he said that he only got 180 miles out of a tank.  Is that true?  If so that not good for me.  I want a bike with at least 250 mile range.....

Any other info would be greatly appreciated...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 10:18:09 PM »
I would love some real world comparisons if possible.  Has anyone out there rode either a BMW RT 1200 or an FJR 1300 that could give me some idea of which one they liked and for what reasons.

Compare warranty and price and the C14 wins (easily).   Compare quality and reliability and the C14 is as good or better.   I have not RIDDDEN the others, so we will leave that up to additional responses.

he said that he only got 180 miles out of a tank.  Is that true?  If so that not good for me.  I want a bike with at least 250 mile range.....

With very conservative riding, the C14 has a 250 mile range.  But that is pushing it to the last drop and in eco mode.  With normal riding and not the last drop, it is more like 220 or so.  "Your mileage may vary"  but it is considerably more than 180 in most any situation.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 04:08:21 AM »
If I'm not thrashing and fill the tank to the brim, I can easily get 220 with gas left in my 08 and that's without a stinkin eco mode.  However, if one's requirement is to consistently get 250 miles out of a tank then this isn't the bike for them.  It's that simple.  One would need a bike with a bigger tank.  I'm completely pleased myself, though, with getting 200-220 on a tank.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 08:52:08 AM »
I am not tall, 5' 11" and about 31" inseam. When I was out shopping for a ST, I sat on the FJR and a ST1300 - did not take test ride though. I was able to pretty much flat foot both bikes. The C14, I could not flat foot. Judging by that, a tall person would be more comfortable on C14. At that time, the C14 was more appealing to me due to being a more modern machine than the ST1300 or the FJR (this is 3 years ago). So I test drove and bought that thing (even though I was tippie toeing). Since then I lowered it just a bit to make me comfortable.

Recently I test rode a K1600GT as I was contemplating going down to one bike. Don't know if I just got used to ST riding, but it did not fell as tall or intimidating as when I first sat on the C14. I would venture to say they are of similar height, just that on the K1600GT you sit more upright on stock setup. The ride was real good - bike felt more nimble. Power delivery was smooth, but did not feel as instantaneous as the C14 (even in dynamic mode). Gearbox clunks like my harley davidson (almost) - not too big deal for me, but was odd for such a high priced bike. At the end, both wife and I decided, not worth it for twice the money as my C14. She had a renewed confidence on the C14 because she could not believe how well the C14 rides compared to the K1600GT for half the price. I know this is K1600GT, but I would imagine ergonomic wise a K1600GT or a R1200RT will not be too far off.

So my personal opinion, I do not think you will have any issue with C14 as far as your height is concerned. My brother-in-law (he is 6'4" and about 260 - 280 lbs) rides a HD Road Glide, which is like 200 lbs heavier, but when you look at his bike and the C14, the C14 sorta dwarfs it - honestly.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Cuda

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »
I know someone who just bought a new FJR 1300 and he said it was more top heavy than his C14 , but the FJR  seat is a hair lower , he's about 5'8" .
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 03:34:03 PM »
I am not tall, 5' 11" and about 31" inseam. ...

I lied...I am 5'10". Darn it! I thought I grew an inch!
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline lacofdfireman

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 05:58:55 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  I guess a 200 mile range is not to bad.  Not sure I can sit on any bike that long anyways without getting off and stretching anyways.  I know the FJR is comfortable for me.  Test rode a C14 in 07 at the Long Beach Motorcycle show for about 10 miles but that was so long ago I have no idea if I liked it or not.  I would have to buy at least a 2010 though because the 08-09 heat issues would be a deal breaker for me...  Could I pick up a 2010 for around $8k?

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »
Has anyone out there rode either a BMW RT 1200 or an FJR 1300 that could give me some idea of which one they liked and for what reasons.

I looked at both before I took my C14 home.  I liked the BMW a lot.  If the cost was the same between the BMW and the C14 then I'd probably have a bimmer in my garage.  However, the BMW is considerably more expensive ($10k) and that puts it into a different class, in my opinion.  When I considered what the BMW had over the C14, I didn't feel that it was worth the price differential.  On top of the high initial cost, I figured the BMW would cost considerably more in maintenance.  Added in with my pre-existing relationship with the local Kawa/Honda dealer, it was a no brainer for me that the C14 was a considerably better value.

The FJR was a bike that I wanted to like a lot.  Price was more in the C14 territory.  The gauges looked nice, and are more modern than the C14 instrumentation.  Yamaha has an excellent reputation.  But honestly, I felt the design was simply inferior in nearly every other way.  The saddle bags were considerably smaller than the C14.  My connie will swallow up my 2XL helmet, with ease.  The FJR bags could not.  The bike itself felt "smaller", which I felt was a disadvantage on a sport touring mount.  The C14 felt "big" to me on the test ride, but I was surprised how quickly I got used to it.  Having taken longer trips on the highway, I fully appreciate the larger size, now.  The foot pegs felt really close to the saddle (even in the "high" position).  Even on the C14 I've installed the lowering kit.  (I only wish I didn't drag pegs on tight turns)  The lack of a 6th gear was also a disappointment.  I know the bike doesn't "need" it, but I don't "need" most of the things I have -- I still like to have it.

TL;DR:

The BMW is a better bike, in terms of fit and finish and features.  But the cost is ridiculous, considering how close you can get with other bikes, for $10k less.

The FJR is probably a decent bike, but it lacks passion and the designers seemed more concerned about marking check boxes instead of really understanding how the user will ride the machine.

The C14 is by no means perfect.  In almost every category you can find a bike that bests it.  There are faster bikes.  There are more comfortable bikes.  There are bikes with better cargo capacity and options.  There are bikes with more creature comforts.  There are better handling bikes.  But if you want the best combination of those traits, for under $15k brand new (or well under $10k for a barely-broken-in used model) then I think the C14 is the best bet.  It was for me.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 07:44:49 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  I guess a 200 mile range is not to bad.

Especially when it is really 240.  I get 240 all the time, and that is without ECO, and includes city driving.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc