Author Topic: Any Big and Tall guys riding a C14?  (Read 11506 times)

Offline lacofdfireman

Any Big and Tall guys riding a C14?
« on: August 09, 2013, 02:59:51 PM »
I have given up on my ADV Riding and am going to focus more on the street side of riding now so I am going to sell my beloved 04 KTM 950 "S" GO!!!!! bike.  Loved the bike but it beats the crap out of me on the street.  I need a more street worthy machine.  I have my decision narrowed down to the FJR and the C14.  I bought a new 07 FJR and rode it for awhile and really liked it but had the ADV bug and sold it and bought a BMW GSA.  Now I have been there done that and realized I ride 99% of the time on the street.  So I have a few questions more for the Tall folk than anyone though.

How are the ergos for us Taller riders?  Anyone compared them to an FJR?

What kind of accessories can make it fit us better?

Do they still have the heat issues?  This is almost a deal breaker for me if they do because I live where it gets 100 plus for 3-4 months  out of the year.

What is fuel mileage and range? 

Electric windshield adjustment?

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Any Big and Tall guys riding a C14?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »
How tall is tall?
I'm 6' 2"
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »
How tall is tall?
I'm 6' 2"

+1

well, I'm 6'159875" and the C14 is GREAT  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 03:18:48 PM »

How are the ergos for us Taller riders?  Anyone compared them to an FJR?

Do they still have the heat issues?  This is almost a deal breaker for me if they do because I live where it gets 100 plus for 3-4 months  out of the year.

I can comment on a few of these.  I'm not that tall (6' but find everything well in reach.  Almost all find the shifter needing an adjustment as the lift is set very high from the crate.
I know some taller guys like the lowered pegs for less bend in the knee.  I would like my pegs higher and back.  I'm odd... I know.
Heat issues are fixed.  A little different in the front fairing.  Much better for me than my old C10.
Fuel range/mileage.... This one was Wednesday.  Average 80mph. 

The low fuel warning comes on at about 190 miles for me.  There was still almost 2 gallons in the tank, but I don't like to push it.  I just pull over and get the gas.   
Yes the windshield has power adjustment. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 03:33:16 PM »

That's a lot of inches.
That makes you nearly 13,329 feet tall.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »

!

159875/12 = 13,322.9166667 feet.  So you are 13,328.9166667' tall?  Wow!!  I am feeling shorter every day
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 03:35:58 PM »
Too slow MT.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 03:37:22 PM »

You can get a taller shield, taller seat, tons of different bar risers/changers, peg lowers, highway pegs.  Tall people have it MADE.  Try being short for a while and see how much of a PITA is it with most non-cruiser [AKA "real"] bikes.

Do they still have the heat issues?

That was only 2008 and 2009.

About 42 to 44 MPG.
Range is about 250

You can replace the shield with an even taller one.  Several choices available.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 05:37:13 PM »

I'm 6'2" and 210lbs. I put Helibars replacement handle bars which brings the bar ends back and up with tons of adjustment. Peg lowering kit and Baldwin Saddle. No highway pegs or back rest and don't want them. I hurt my back 30 years ago and thought I couldn't stand to ride w/o highway pegs and a back rest. I ride slightly forward of vertical with my back slightly arched. Average 42 to 44 mpg. Couldn't be happier and I came from the so called Winnabego, a GL1800. The bike is more comfortable, quicker, has better suspension and gets better mileage than the Wing. Not writing this to bag on the Wing. It's a great bike and I really liked the 6 or more Wings I owned over the years. It is just a joy to ride the lighter bike. Parking lot turns and lock to lock turns are easier and did I mention it was quick. No secret that I'm a fan of the C14.

Fork

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 05:58:08 PM »
"How are the ergos for us Taller riders?  Anyone compared them to an FJR?"

Check out http://cycle-ergo.com/

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 07:14:51 PM »

That is a slick site.  :thumbs:

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »
6'5" Tall windshield, lowered footpegs, bar risers = good ergos. Excellent head room too, which I always look for in a vehicle.
2010 C14 ABS

Offline lacofdfireman

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 07:35:39 PM »
Oooops  Forgot to put my height.  I am 6'4 250lbs without gear..  Anyone have a photo of them on there C14 so I can kinda see how you look position wise on the bike.  Especially if you have some upgrades stuff like bar risers and lowered pegs.

Offline PH14

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 08:14:33 PM »

Once again, check it out.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 08:24:40 PM »
6'4" 34"
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 09:57:12 PM »
That is a slick site.  :thumbs:

Indeed.  Kinda depressing though.  Try a 26/27 inseam and see what I mean...

Offline lacofdfireman

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 10:15:50 PM »
Once again, check it out.

Wow.  That looks like I am riding a moped...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 05:39:53 AM »
Wow.  That looks like I am riding a moped...

And me, a tank :)

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 05:45:58 AM »
One thing that Ergo site doesn't consider is the length of you arms.  I have long arms, so I don't lean over as far to reach the bars, and I don't need handlebar risers.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 10:03:22 AM »
One thing that Ergo site doesn't consider is the length of you arms.  I have long arms, so I don't lean over as far to reach the bars, and I don't need handlebar risers.

You are correct.  They are not changing the arm length, which is a major flaw on that site.  I didn't notice at first.  This means their "forward lean" is completely bogus.  Oh well.

Generally, arm length is directly related to leg length (so having the model scale arms with legs would be easy).  However torso length is NOT directly related to arm/leg length.  This confuses people when they talk about bike fit and they only list their height- that is mostly meaningless without knowing inseam- you must know BOTH.