Author Topic: 2nd alternator died  (Read 4775 times)

Offline scott 2

2nd alternator died
« on: August 20, 2012, 03:00:08 PM »
Is there something I am missing?   I was on my way home from moto gp in indy, when my alternator died again.  Last fall the first one died at 65000 miles on the bike.  I bought a rebuilt one off ebay with a one year warranty, which I have sent it back to them to fix.  It died with 70500 miles on the bike.  The question is how do i keep it from happening again?  The only extras I run are piaa 1100 driving lights and GPS.  When it gets cold heated gripps and vest.  Yesterday the only thing that was running extra was the GPS.  I don't run the lights during the day time.  Any help would be great.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: 2nd alternator died
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »
You may want to check the wires coming off of the alt. There is a connecter there that can over heat and cause a voltage drop, then get really hot, then cook electronics from low voltage. It has been an issue in the past on some bikes. Make sure that connection is clean, take it apart and inspect it, just looking at it doesn't cut it. When you get the replacement alt, take a voltage reading at that connector and another at the battery, with the engine running at 3-4k rpm, with low electric load, i.e. no extra lights or accessories. You should see the same voltage, or very, very close.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline scott 2

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 05:32:23 PM »
When I replaced the alternator the connector looked very clean.  What would make the connection go bad?  Can they just go bad?  Because the connecter definitely has gotten hot.  Which will have to be replaced.  So once everything is back and fixed and working.   How do I keep this from happening again?  I'm planning a trip for this fall and don't want to be suck along side the road three or four states away from home.   

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:20:05 PM »
Purchased a "rebuilt" alternator from eBay.... Rebuilt how? Was it simply wiped clean or perhaps it only received a Krylon rebuild....

As to the connector if it is now discolored and loose fitting that can cause a poor connection as well as a lot of heat and voltage drop which can strain the alt and perhaps make it fail.

Just running a set of running lights is not going to be too much for the alt to keep up with; running heated gear and extra lights is a bit of an extra load but cutting one or the other off at SLOW engine speed to keep the burden off the battery till your back up to speed should be fine.

Replace the connector and make sure that all your battery cable connections as clean, brite and shiney before putting them back together. Please NOTE that this means both ends of the battery cables need to be disconnected and made clean and bright.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline JDM

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:21:30 AM »
Tony P, just gave you some good advice and it was free.  I would add this to it: once you have every thing replaced, check to see if you are getting full voltage to the battery; 14 plus volts and no less than 13.2 volts.  This alternator is designed to put out around 26 amps.  You can add up all your user loads and see just how much you are taxing the alternator.  It's only good for about 300 watts and that is max.  Remember watts/volts = amps.  HTH   
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline rwulf

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 03:38:12 PM »
Scott 2 all these guys are on the right track. You really need to try and find out how or what is failing
in the alternator. Are the windings failing? Is the voltage regulator giving up. Are the brushes burning up.
All these things are fairly easy to check per the Clymers manual turned to the right page for guidance.
I agree with T-Cro when he asks how the E-Bay one was rebuilt. These alternators are really quite good
and I don't think many have failed in the entire history of the bike.
rwulf

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 06:11:37 PM »
A comment on longevity, my alt has 170k miles on it, knock on wood.(I do have a spare in the shed) I almost always am running an extra set of 55w lights, plus grip heaters on those cool 65* mornings we will start having in October. BTW, I also use the 2fast heat shields, so it does get a little hotter air to live in.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline scott 2

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
I'm not sure how it was rebuilt.  But they gave it a one year warranty and seem to be standing behind it. When I called they said send it back and they would fix it. I just don't want to do this again.   I thank you all for help.  I will go threw all the connections and make sure they are good.  Now all I can do is wait for its return.   Again thank you for your advice I will use it.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »
Having rebuilt a number of these, the main thing I see is melted connectors, worn brushes, and bad regulators.

The connector is not sealed. Clean and coat with dielectric grease to keep out moisture.

I always replace the bearings in my rebuilds. Depending on age, the bearing grease has often degraded to a wax-like consistency.
With less lubricating ability, more heat is generated, leading to failure of other components.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline scott 2

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »
I have one more question, is the alternator the same on a ZRX as the concours?  I'm thinking of buying one off ebay. 

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 06:17:08 PM »
I have one more question, is the alternator the same on a ZRX as the concours?  I'm thinking of buying one off ebay.

yes.

Offline scott 2

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »
Thank you :)

Offline scott 2

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 05:44:12 PM »
One more question,  will the zg1200 alternator fit on the concours?  And does it produce more power? OK that's two questions sorry.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 06:53:22 PM »
One more question,  will the zg1200 alternator fit on the concours?  And does it produce more power? OK that's two questions sorry.

No, won't fit. Yes, more power.