Author Topic: Watching TV off the 'grid'...  (Read 9787 times)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Watching TV off the 'grid'...
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 02:44:28 PM »
"the look"   :o    :_shudder_Emoticon

My wife is addicted to cable. Very, very expensive cable with DVR, HD, etc.

I don't watch TV at all, but that doesn't mean I don't pay for it.

One way or another . . . :-\
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 10:07:36 PM »
"the look"   :o    :_shudder_Emoticon

Gary and Marty,

Why do you still have that landline? Cut that cord man! You'll be ok with just that cell I promise.    ;)

As much as she dislikes magicJack, she dislikes her cell phone twice as much. The magicJack is paid up for another three years (I went with the 5 year plan) so we'll be keeping it at least that long.
I'm hoping that in three years I'll be toughened up enough that I'll be able to take "the look" in full stride.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 04:52:37 AM »
As much as she dislikes magicJack, she dislikes her cell phone twice as much. The magicJack is paid up for another three years (I went with the 5 year plan) so we'll be keeping it at least that long.
I'm hoping that in three years I'll be toughened up enough that I'll be able to take "the look" in full stride.

Good luck with the toughening up! My wife and I have been married for 39 years this month and 'the look' still unnerves me at times.  ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 05:09:14 AM »
'The Look' reminds me that she's still carrying that rather large life insurance policy on me.  :-\

Offline Stasch

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2016, 07:02:11 AM »
We had been on Cable for over 20 years.  Went to Dish when cable wanted yet another annual increase of 60% for the same package.  Then Dish wanted an increase.

The costs didn't make sense for us, as we weren't using it that much, and didn't care for most of the offerings.  What passes for entertainment these days is a sad thing.

The last 60% rate increase was the 'duh' wake up call.

We've gone to Netflix, Amazon Prime and local channels on of all things, a modern version of rabbit ears.

$8.95 / month total for Netflix, pay as you go for Amazon and local is free if you don't count the 'cost' of 12 minutes of commercials per half hour of 'viewing'. 

Having made the move, we don't miss the other stuff.  My bet is you won't either.

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 07:28:22 AM »
The companies that tout digital TV antennas and modern rabbit ears are funny. These days these companies make it sound like you need a 'special' antenna to pick up digital broadcasts and HD signals. The antenna that I have is a large Winegard that's over 25 years old along with an equally ancient antenna amp. A few of the elements are missing but it still has no trouble receiving digital/HD broadcasts. RF is RF, the antenna doesn't care what the content consists of.

If you're thinking of buying a antenna to get your local broadcasts check this site out for some good info.

http://www.antennaweb.org/

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 07:39:40 AM »
The companies that tout digital TV antennas and modern rabbit ears are funny. These days these companies make it sound like you need a 'special' antenna to pick up digital broadcasts and HD signals. The antenna that I have is a large Winegard that's over 25 years old along with an equally ancient antenna amp. A few of the elements are missing but it still has no trouble receiving digital/HD broadcasts. RF is RF, the antenna doesn't care what the content consists of.

If you're thinking of buying a antenna to get your local broadcasts check this site out for some good info.

Exactly. The only problem is once they went to digital is the range of the signal went down drastically. Before digital we got several network stations. Now we get one most of the time and two others now and then, even with a good tower. Digital signal is fantastic when you can recieve it, but the range is much like cell phones now and requires more repeater signal towers.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2016, 07:56:01 AM »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 08:10:40 AM »

I haven't had any antenna for over 3 decades. I just bought one from Best Buy with an amp for $29. It sits on top of the console with my receiver and is a black box about 6" x 8" x 1/2". The  antenna I had in CA in the 80's was in the attic and was 4' x 6' at least.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 12:23:11 PM »

Winegard....haven't heard that name in years.   Feels good to hear it again.  I do something with local but my subdivision doesn't allow traditional antennas.  Does allow satellite dishes, I think.  At least they haven't bothered me about removing them and I have two up.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 01:03:49 PM »
Aren't satellite dishes antennas??
Seems discriminatory. Or perhaps a conspiracy even.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 11:16:43 PM »
I do something with local but my subdivision doesn't allow traditional antennas.  Does allow satellite dishes, I think.  At least they haven't bothered me about removing them and I have two up.

I'm fairly certain that they can't do that unless you let them. That is, you'd win, but is it worth the fight?

Quote from: U.S Law via FCC website
As directed by Congress in Section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, the Federal Communications Commission adopted the Over-the-Air Reception Devices (“OTARD”) rule concerning governmental and nongovernmental restrictions on viewers' ability to receive video programming signals from direct broadcast satellites ("DBS"), broadband radio service providers (formerly multichannel multipoint distribution service or MMDS), and television broadcast stations ("TVBS").

The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming.  The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas.  The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

Effective January 22, 1999, the Commission amended the rule so that it also applies to rental property where the renter has an exclusive use area, such as a balcony or patio.

On October 25, 2000, the Commission further amended the rule so that it applies to customer-end antennas that receive and transmit fixed wireless signals.  This amendment became effective on May 25, 2001.

The rule applies to individuals who place antennas that meet size limitations on property that they own or rent and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners, and tenants who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna.  The rule applies to townhomes and manufactured homes, as well as to single family homes.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2010-title47-vol1/pdf/CFR-2010-title47-vol1-sec1-4000.pdf

Good Luck!

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 11:22:21 PM »
Pardon my ignorance (or Luddite status), but what is this "TV" thing you speak of?

Many thanks,

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2016, 07:16:06 AM »
I haven't had any antenna for over 3 decades. I just bought one from Best Buy with an amp for $29. It sits on top of the console with my receiver and is a black box about 6" x 8" x 1/2". The  antenna I had in CA in the 80's was in the attic and was 4' x 6' at least.

Which do you think would be better at grabbing signals out of the air?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 07:54:46 AM »
Which do you think would be better at grabbing signals out of the air?

The big old winegard in the attic I'm sure but it doesn't matter. The cheap little one with the amp delivers perfect HD picture. I'm also sure it depends on your proximity to the transmitters. In any case, I'm new to over the air HD and impressed. Now I want an old subscription-less DVR.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2016, 09:08:33 AM »
The big old winegard in the attic I'm sure but it doesn't matter. The cheap little one with the amp delivers perfect HD picture. I'm also sure it depends on your proximity to the transmitters. In any case, I'm new to over the air HD and impressed. Now I want an old subscription-less DVR.

Broadcast HD is very impressive the first time you see it. In most cases the quality is better than cable/satellite signals because less compression is used.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2016, 05:14:39 PM »
We had been on Cable for over 20 years.  Went to Dish when cable wanted yet another annual increase of 60% for the same package.  Then Dish wanted an increase.

The costs didn't make sense for us, as we weren't using it that much, and didn't care for most of the offerings.  What passes for entertainment these days is a sad thing.

The last 60% rate increase was the 'duh' wake up call.

We've gone to Netflix, Amazon Prime and local channels on of all things, a modern version of rabbit ears.

$8.95 / month total for Netflix, pay as you go for Amazon and local is free if you don't count the 'cost' of 12 minutes of commercials per half hour of 'viewing'. 

Having made the move, we don't miss the other stuff.  My bet is you won't either.

sounds familiar, we had Direct TV in Va., because that was all we could get out in the boonies... we still had dialup internet there... really sukd. When we got back to Ohio, we had choices, but as the Sat TV had risen in prices, we hooked into a bundle with TW Cable, phone, tv, and h/s internet, for $89/mo. well, after 4 years, the last straw was them bumping the service to $189/mo, and we said forget it.. So back again to Direct TV with all the same stuff we had originally, and a contract for $69/mo. and when they jump up in price, and it hits the inevitable $100 level again, we'll switch back to TW Cable, again, and do the revolving door on them... they all have to learn, we will no longer pay more, you give a price, stick with it, or we dump ya, and switch...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 08:44:20 AM »
sounds familiar, we had Direct TV in Va., because that was all we could get out in the boonies... we still had dialup internet there... really sukd. When we got back to Ohio, we had choices, but as the Sat TV had risen in prices, we hooked into a bundle with TW Cable, phone, tv, and h/s internet, for $89/mo. well, after 4 years, the last straw was them bumping the service to $189/mo, and we said forget it.. So back again to Direct TV with all the same stuff we had originally, and a contract for $69/mo. and when they jump up in price, and it hits the inevitable $100 level again, we'll switch back to TW Cable, again, and do the revolving door on them... they all have to learn, we will no longer pay more, you give a price, stick with it, or we dump ya, and switch...

Exactly what my daughter does every couple of years.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 01:09:03 PM »
We've been getting TV with an antenna at our lake place, since we are only there on weekends.  The problem is the big hill between us and all the broadcast towers messes up the transmissions.  I've tried a few different antennas with amplifiers and the rabbit ears actually seemed to work best.  I'll either have to put up a pole or go back to Satellite I suppose. Thanks for ideas on the other options.  I can check on the cable internet costs too.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2016, 07:31:20 PM »
We've been getting TV with an antenna at our lake place, since we are only there on weekends.  The problem is the big hill between us and all the broadcast towers messes up the transmissions.  I've tried a few different antennas with amplifiers and the rabbit ears actually seemed to work best.  I'll either have to put up a pole or go back to Satellite I suppose. Thanks for ideas on the other options.  I can check on the cable internet costs too.

This is a long shot, but some times a high gain directional antenna aimed away from the direction of the transmitting antenna will pick up an acceptable signal bouncing off of a building or metal barn in a different direction. This could be why you rabbit ears work the best, because they are semi omnidirectional and may be getting a bounce signal. If you still have those other antennas, you might try slowly sweeping the horizon with them to see if you can get an acceptable "bounce" signal from some reflecting source that isn't blocked by the hill. When it works with HDTV it works better than the old analog because you don't get ghosting...but if it doesn't work you get nothing or at best little blocks of color coming and going. Good Luck!