Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 888418 times)

Offline papaageorgio

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #2720 on: June 09, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »
found a thin spot that broke. not sure if its common or the cause, glue it up and see if it snaps again.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2721 on: June 09, 2017, 05:05:47 PM »
found a thin spot that broke. not sure if its common or the cause, glue it up and see if it snaps again.

I wouldn't say it is common- probably depends on how old, how many times it has been taken apart, and how gently/correctly it is removed/replaced each time.  It is a tricky assembly to deal with, for sure.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline papaageorgio

« Reply #2722 on: June 09, 2017, 09:21:06 PM »
i think its from the foam under the heater control box. on mine it seems to push up a little on that box. I noticed when putting it back together that there was a little bow in the plastic from the screw to the fist plastic tab which also broke off at some point. I could see that vibrating and eventually snapping at such a thin point. i shaved off that foam just enough so it all sits flush.     also the wife n I just came back from a trip and im sure people touched because i see it happen to other bikes there all the time..

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2723 on: June 09, 2017, 11:49:17 PM »
Got her rear ended by a pretty young girl in a Toyota today.

Wot no pics of the girl ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2724 on: June 10, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »
i think its from the foam under the heater control box. on mine it seems to push up a little on that box. I noticed when putting it back together that there was a little bow in the plastic from the screw to the fist plastic tab which also broke off at some point. I could see that vibrating and eventually snapping at such a thin point. i shaved off that foam just enough so it all sits flush.     also the wife n I just came back from a trip and im sure people touched because i see it happen to other bikes there all the time..

Breaking plastic tabs is pretty common.  Also, one can crack the dash plastics by over-tightening the screws.  And the plastic "rivets" are pretty easy to mess up.  Everything else seems to be pretty substantial.  Although I have stains on the silver muffler paint right by the exhaust pipe outlet that won't come off.  Not sure what is up with that.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2725 on: June 10, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
 Watched it go down the street with a new owner.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2726 on: June 10, 2017, 01:35:28 PM »
This breakage sounds familiar...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

sailor_chic

« Reply #2727 on: June 11, 2017, 07:33:39 AM »
Watched it go down the street with a new owner.

How sad :(

Offline Impster

« Reply #2728 on: June 11, 2017, 06:29:09 PM »
Installed a fender extender from Murph's Kits.

Roughed up and cleaned the mating surfaces then used some loc-tite marine grade adhesive. Clamped to cure for 24 hours.

Cut up some old Grip Puppies to make good spongy insulation for the c-clamps. :)

----
2016 Concourse 14 (Black), Corbin seat, Murph's risers, T-Rex lowering links and kickstand

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2729 on: June 12, 2017, 01:23:02 AM »
In preparing for - and partially accomplishing - coolant change and flush (things looked pretty clean inside the radiator), took all the Tupperware off.

That is a laborious process, but Fred Harmon's videos are a godsend.

Gonna have to drain the fresh coolant again, though, and the overflow tank just because I didn't do it properly the first time.  :P

In the meantime, I ordered some of those plastic push rivets, because I broke the one at the chin of the bike. Couple-three different sizes, apparently. I ordered the M6 3 stage rivets, and the larger size.

The heat is brutal inside the garage - have to do this in stages.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2730 on: June 12, 2017, 03:21:46 AM »
What's the coolant problem?

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2731 on: June 12, 2017, 08:20:03 AM »
What's the coolant problem?

No problem with the coolant - I just didn't mix the anti-freeze with distilled water sufficiently. Thought there might be some "mixing" (even within the overflow tank) in the system, but that isn't happening.

So I just have to drain the coolant again, mix sufficiently like I should have (50/50) and then refill the radiator and overflow tank, then burp the system of air.

Would have done all this yesterday, but my garage was an oven. Had to bail out.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2732 on: June 12, 2017, 08:46:17 AM »
Won't it mix as it gets hot and cools in the engine?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2733 on: June 12, 2017, 09:20:45 AM »

Agree! Unless it is going to be sitting overnight is a below freezing situation, I would think once the engine gets warm enough to open the thermostat the water pump will do a good job of mixing it up.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #2734 on: June 12, 2017, 09:32:17 AM »
Glad you didn't suggest picking up the bike and giving it a good shake.  ;D  I think the guy is concerned about not getting a 1:1 ratio on the AF and water.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2735 on: June 12, 2017, 09:43:47 AM »
Glad you didn't suggest picking up the bike and giving it a good shake.  ;D  I think the guy is concerned about not getting a 1:1 ratio on the AF and water.

I wonder if there is a big enough paint mixer to do this...  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2736 on: June 12, 2017, 10:01:13 AM »
Now that is just silly. Everyone knows you would use a commercial ore separator for a job like that; just drop the bike in using a front- end loader, shake it up to mix everything, then retreive the bike using the same loader..... and maybe 50' of chain 'cause those separators are kinda' deep. You will probably want to wrap the bike with bubble wrap first.....

Brian

I wonder if there is a big enough paint mixer to do this...  ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2737 on: June 12, 2017, 12:13:22 PM »

Well, that's what I thought. I have almost 100% anti-freeze in the radiator (little bit of distilled water - not much) and the overflow tank is full of distilled water. I ran the bike long enough to open the thermostat, but no mixie-mixie. Yet. Maybe in time, but not yesterday.

I'm disgusted enough with myself to do the whole damned thing over again. Didn't go far enough in Fred's video.  :loco:
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2738 on: June 12, 2017, 01:56:44 PM »
The overflow tank is not really part of the general flow of coolant in a vehicle. It WILL mix eventually but it will take some time as only small amounts of coolant are deposited an then withdrawn from the overflow (or recover, or expansion) bottle.

That said, I would not worry about it. No matter where you are in the US, you have months and months of riding to allow the fluids to mix long before winter sets in. I believe by that time they will be mixed and all will be well.

Brian

Well, that's what I thought. I have almost 100% anti-freeze in the radiator (little bit of distilled water - not much) and the overflow tank is full of distilled water. I ran the bike long enough to open the thermostat, but no mixie-mixie. Yet. Maybe in time, but not yesterday.

I'm disgusted enough with myself to do the whole damned thing over again. Didn't go far enough in Fred's video.  :loco:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2739 on: June 12, 2017, 07:10:03 PM »
The overflow tank is not really part of the general flow of coolant in a vehicle. It WILL mix eventually but it will take some time as only small amounts of coolant are deposited an then withdrawn from the overflow (or recover, or expansion) bottle.

That said, I would not worry about it. No matter where you are in the US, you have months and months of riding to allow the fluids to mix long before winter sets in. I believe by that time they will be mixed and all will be well.

Brian

Nope, it's the principle of the thing. Tore it apart and did it right. Of course, with all the Tupperware off, it wasn't that big of a deal. But I paid attention to things like crush washers, 50/50, and burping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOvO5y-p550
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90