Author Topic: Best helmet intercom set-up?  (Read 39203 times)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Re: Best helmet intercom set-up?
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »
I am sure the G4 is a great setup, I just did not see it being worth the extra 70.00.  I really like the ease of controls on the Sena, especially with gloves.  It was a long thought process and I am sure I would have enjoyed the Scala as well.  It seems people either love the FM or hate it.  I do not listen to radio often and use the iPhone stereo station App when I want that and stream it through BT.   I have a Cig usb adapter I use while charging on the road, I misunderstood the charging of the G4.  That is a plus.  Ironically they seem to use the same Chip manufacturer.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »
Bumping this thread for Martin and maybe others...

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »
So what is the consensus?

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »
My wife and I are still pleased with our Sena, although I will admit, we have not put in a ton of time together, but on my own, it's great.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2012, 09:23:28 PM »
My wife and I are still pleased with our Sena, although I will admit, we have not put in a ton of time together, but on my own, it's great.

Too true...

Got the G4 set, love mine, I think my wife has a wopping 8 hours on hers in the past 6 months...  :banghead:

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »

Too true...

Got the G4 set, love mine, I think my wife has a wopping 8 hours on hers in the past 6 months...  :banghead:

Same here.  But if she rode with me all the time I would probably have to get a Goldwing to keep her happy.  So I guess this in one of those times when less is actually more. ........ More fun for me!   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Flathead

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »
Same here.  But if she rode with me all the time I would probably have to get a Goldwing to keep her happy.  So I guess this in one of those times when less is actually more. ........ More fun for me!   ;D

LOL
If mine rode with me all the time I would have to buy the WORST intercom ;)

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
   Does anyone know a good intercom app for the droid phones ...it would seem simple considering everything else they can do??

Mike
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:21:23 PM by Shadowofshoe »
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2012, 06:25:29 PM »

Looks like I answered my own question-none perfected but if you bluetoothers would try out Android intercom beta and let us know-I would but I have never done bluetooth for anything yet,but if it worked on a bike-I'd bite!!

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2012, 06:47:17 PM »

Apparently there is another called Motolky that does not require bluetooth and also seems to work-I'll check it it out first and report back...free is good.

Mike

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2012, 08:47:40 AM »
Does anyone have a J&M Bluetooth unit they can comment on.
I have doing a lot of research into all of these different  models and so far I can only find this one model that seems to fit my requirements.
1) no speakers. I  do not want in helmet speakers. I prefer to use ' in the ear canal'  speakers and J&M has a harness for this.
2)They  specifically state  they can pair  to a Zumo 550 and an Android phone  at the same time and as well as bike to bike (x8  bikes ) and will toggle automatically between them specially listening to music from the cell phone (Pandora for example) and when the Zumo gives audio directions it switches to the Zumo and then back to  the music.
3) Auto tunes to the strongest FM radio  signal ( I like that feature)
4) can be charged on the fly if needed.  (cigarette lighter  charger) They even sell a 'fat' battery with longer usage  times. Having 2 batteries is a good idea too.

I just cannot locate  any forums  or good owner feeder back for J&M bluetooth and their website confuses me on their different models.

I just realized this post is in the C14 section. Oh well.
I also rad this on their website:
J&M’s are the only Bluetooth helmet headsets that are software upgradeable after the sale and free software upgrades are provided for the life of the headset warranty.

And they come with a 2 year warranty. Looks like I may buy this  and try it out.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:55:52 AM by Daytona_Mike »
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2012, 12:03:25 PM »
Mike, Sena SMH10Bs are also firmware upgradable and offer a mounting solution for earbuds.  FYI I just bought a set, upgraded the firmware online free, and am very impressed.

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »
To add to this, finding a "cigarette lighter" style charger for the G4 is not hard to find, my Blackberry car charger works just fine, you can get these at any Radio Shack or whatever, it's the same port and works like a charm...

FYI to find 12 volt chargers for the Sena just look in the box.  AC and DC chargers included, as well as USB cables, 2 of each.  4.0 firmware includes voice prompts, better battery life and range. 
I don't think either unit will disappoint, the Sena's will save you a few $$. 

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »
Does anyone have a J&M Bluetooth unit they can comment on.
I have doing a lot of research into all of these different  models and so far I can only find this one model that seems to fit my requirements.
1) no speakers. I  do not want in helmet speakers. I prefer to use ' in the ear canal'  speakers and J&M has a harness for this.
2)They  specifically state  they can pair  to a Zumo 550 and an Android phone  at the same time and as well as bike to bike (x8  bikes ) and will toggle automatically between them specially listening to music from the cell phone (Pandora for example) and when the Zumo gives audio directions it switches to the Zumo and then back to  the music.
3) Auto tunes to the strongest FM radio  signal ( I like that feature)
4) can be charged on the fly if needed.  (cigarette lighter  charger) They even sell a 'fat' battery with longer usage  times. Having 2 batteries is a good idea too.

I just cannot locate  any forums  or good owner feeder back for J&M bluetooth and their website confuses me on their different models.

I just realized this post is in the C14 section. Oh well.
I also rad this on their website:
J&M’s are the only Bluetooth helmet headsets that are software upgradeable after the sale and free software upgrades are provided for the life of the headset warranty.

And they come with a 2 year warranty. Looks like I may buy this  and try it out.

I've had the J&M Nolan N-103 setup for over a year now.  I dont have a gps yet, but use it with my Droid X pretty much daily.  Never had any issues pairing.  The sound quality is outstanding, as is the volume.  I have ridden back and forth to work (15 minutes each way) for three weeks without recharging.  Spent one weekend with two 9 hour days without recharging.  Customer service is top notch.  What else?  The pin lock anti-fog shield on the Nolan is SUPERB!!  You can heavy breath on it in the dead of winter and it simply will not fog.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2012, 07:39:15 AM »
Thanks Reese. I went ahead and ordered one for my full face Arai and the optional harness to use my own 'in the ear canal' headset.  Cant wait to test it out.  Starcomm1 also makes a Bluetooth adapter for their integrated  unit so I can use my CB radio as well with this J&M.  Now to find someone to ride with that has any form of bike to bike comm system. Seems very few to none of the C10 and C14 riders I ride with have any.
The Nolan integrated unit is supposed to be the same internals.  Have you upgraded yours to the latest version of firmware?
New V.14 just  released a few weeks ago.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2012, 08:14:07 AM »
Thanks Reese. I went ahead and ordered one for my full face Arai and the optional harness to use my own 'in the ear canal' headset.  Cant wait to test it out.  Starcomm1 also makes a Bluetooth adapter for their integrated  unit so I can use my CB radio as well with this J&M.  Now to find someone to ride with that has any form of bike to bike comm system. Seems very few to none of the C10 and C14 riders I ride with have any.
The Nolan integrated unit is supposed to be the same internals.  Have you upgraded yours to the latest version of firmware?

Honesty I dont even know HOW to upgrade the firmware!  Guess I'll call John at J&M and ask.  Probably have to send it back to them?  Also, the J&M will ONLY pair with another J&M product for comms.  Just asked them that by email the other day.

Offline Tabasco Powered

« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2012, 10:58:27 PM »
Scala rider G4 power set is the way to go. Great bluetooth pairing to an iPhone, very easy to use. The only issue I've had with one was the weather covering on the buttons started to pull off, but a little super glue solved that fast.
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2012, 08:03:17 AM »
Don't know if it's been discussed yet, but another element to consider for some people ( i.e: me) is that a communications system have coupling capability with a CB radio. I have the Sena SMH10 which, as I see others have mentioned, works very well for BT connectivity to my Zumo and iPhone. Then they came out with the SR10, which acts as a BT hub for all the communications assessories, including the CB. So it prioritizes and senses whichever signal is coming in and relays that to the helmet speakers. Pretty cool!

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2012, 03:44:15 PM »

Talked to John at J&M, and I have the latest already.