Author Topic: Aftermarket seat recommendations?  (Read 18702 times)

Offline PH14

Re: Aftermarket seat recommendations?
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 11:39:13 AM »
To my surprise, I found that the risers do contribute to the sliding forward problem. I bought a Saddlemen Explorer RS seat, found that it was about half as bad as stock in the sliding forward category. I removed my 2" risers and the Saddlemen seat is very close to acceptable. In fact, I have hope that it will break in, and with wise clothing choices, be a good seat. I am beginning to like it, it is comfortable.  Not quite on subject, but worth saying. Without the risers, my C14 feels like the evil spawn of the ZX14, rather than a wanna be Gold Wing.

I sometimes use risers, and sometime I don't. Unfortunately leaning forward will exacerbate the issue I have, perineum pain. The seat was made for someone with a larger ass than I have, so I sit down in it more putting pressure on the perineum. I gave them my weight and measurements when I ordered it, and told them I didn't want it dished so much, but they sent a stock seat, despite assuring me they would take my measurements into consideration. I wear riding specific pants, AGV Telluride. I had some sit bone pain when I got home Sunday, but that is easily taken care of by removing the risers so I lean over more, it will take pressure off the sit bones.

Keep in mind, I rode my RC51 long distance, so I am accustomed to leaning over and doing long days. I would ride the RC51 to Iowa in one shot, 860 miles one way, much like I do with this. I had a Sargent seat on the RC51. I had no issues with it.

The Corbin is shaped oddly for a bike you lean over on. It also has zero shock absorption for someone who weight 168 pounds. You get beat over bumps. Slightly softer foam would be better, slightly, not much. I prefer a firm seat since it doesn't break down as you ride. I am leery of getting Corbin's soft foam since I do not know how soft it is. I don;t want it too soft. If I lived close enough I would go to the factory so they could custom fit the seat. They offered but I am not close.

Offline PH14

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2014, 12:37:57 PM »
A little update. I got back last night from a trip to Iowa. I rode out last Thursday and rode home yesterday. I rode straight through bith ways, 760 miles each way. I decided to use the Corbin so I could get a better idea of exactly what I wanted them to do to the seat when I send it in. I also had my bars at stock height.

This ride confirmed my belief that it needs to be built up where it is dished to level the seat out for me. This will raise me up a bit and take the soft parts off the hum, and will also raise my thighs up a bit, they were hurting where they hit the seat. I also want a bit more leg room, the Corbin sits you lower making your knees bend more. The position is very awkward for me, it is simply dished too deeply for me.

The Corbin was actually more comfortable when I first got it, before it broke in. I believe that is because I was riding more on top of it then and as it broke in and conformed to my shape, I sat down in it a bit more. I didn't have this much pain when I first received it, as a matter of fact, it felt good. Yesterday I was praying the Sargent would magically appear underneath me.

I took the handlebar risers with me, so I could put them on if I wanted. As I was riding I thought, "Did I only bring four bolts?" Sure enough, when I went to put the risers on the day before I rode home, there were only four bolts.  :banghead: I had to go to the hardware store with my father anyway, so I bought two bolts. Unfortunately all they had were a lower grade and chromed. I decided that only one of a lower grade would be okay for the trip home, and I would change it out when I got home. Unfortunately, the new ones wouldn't thread in easily, evidently during the chroming process, they came out a bit oversized. One went in fairly easily, by hand, but the other would barely start. Unfortunately we had just moved my father's tools to his new garage my parents' new apartment and I didn't have any dies with me, other wise I would have chased the threads. I was there to help them move out of their house and get ready for a n auction. I decided to forget it since I didn't have a lot or time.

I'll put the Sargent back on along with the risers today.

Offline Big Mike

• Binghamton, NY
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 12:44:27 PM »
A little update. I got back last night from a trip to Iowa. I rode out last Thursday and rode home yesterday. I rode straight through bith ways, 760 miles each way. I decided to use the Corbin so I could get a better idea of exactly what I wanted them to do to the seat when I send it in. I also had my bars at stock height.

This ride confirmed my belief that it needs to be built up where it is dished to level the seat out for me. This will raise me up a bit and take the soft parts off the hum, and will also raise my thighs up a bit, they were hurting where they hit the seat. I also want a bit more leg room, the Corbin sits you lower making your knees bend more. The position is very awkward for me, it is simply dished too deeply for me.

The Corbin was actually more comfortable when I first got it, before it broke in. I believe that is because I was riding more on top of it then and as it broke in and conformed to my shape, I sat down in it a bit more. I didn't have this much pain when I first received it, as a matter of fact, it felt good. Yesterday I was praying the Sargent would magically appear underneath me.

I took the handlebar risers with me, so I could put them on if I wanted. As I was riding I thought, "Did I only bring four bolts?" Sure enough, when I went to put the risers on the day before I rode home, there were only four bolts.  :banghead: I had to go to the hardware store with my father anyway, so I bought two bolts. Unfortunately all they had were a lower grade and chromed. I decided that only one of a lower grade would be okay for the trip home, and I would change it out when I got home. Unfortunately, the new ones wouldn't thread in easily, evidently during the chroming process, they came out a bit oversized. One went in fairly easily, by hand, but the other would barely start. Unfortunately we had just moved my father's tools to his new garage my parents' new apartment and I didn't have any dies with me, other wise I would have chased the threads. I was there to help them move out of their house and get ready for a n auction. I decided to forget it since I didn't have a lot or time.

Did you lower your pegs at all ??

I ran Murph's on my first C-14 and just put Knight Design on my second...

Just that little bit from the lowered pegs helps a lot, at least for me it did (I'm 6'8")..

2014 Concours 14 Candy Cardinal Red..
HeliBar Risers/Knight Design Lowered Pegs/Super Shark Skins/Cee Bailey Ultra Tour/TechSpec Snake Skin

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014, 06:03:16 PM »

You might also try the airhawk, I don't have one myself but I hear it works nicely on the Corbin for longer rides, it might fill that deep dish and add a little height like you described you wanted...  :-\

Offline PH14

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2014, 09:41:10 AM »

You might also try the airhawk, I don't have one myself but I hear it works nicely on the Corbin for longer rides, it might fill that deep dish and add a little height like you described you wanted...  :-\

I would rather have the seat modified so I don't need to spend more money on an add-on to make an expensive seat comfortable. If I don't get the Corbin set up to work for me, I will simply sell it and use my Sargent. I can ride all day on it with no discomfort. I only tried the Corbin for the leather and the backrest option. I would have probably sold it already but my wife likes the seating position.

Initially the seat was more comfortable. I will most likely send it to Corbin, I have already talked to them and they have a work order on it. I wish I lived close enough to ride in quickly. It would be nice to have them see me on the bike and alter it there.

Offline PH14

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2014, 09:42:54 AM »
Did you lower your pegs at all ??

I ran Murph's on my first C-14 and just put Knight Design on my second...

Just that little bit from the lowered pegs helps a lot, at least for me it did (I'm 6'8")..

No I haven't, the peg position is fine for the Sargent, but not the Corbin. If they raise the seat up a bit for me, I think it will be fine. The Corbin just puts me in an awkward position. Of course I came from riding an RC51 so I am more used to the bend. After I sort all this out I may lower the pegs. I am not nearly as tall as you, I am just under 5' 11".

Offline Big Mike

• Binghamton, NY
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2014, 10:18:12 AM »
No I haven't, the peg position is fine for the Sargent, but not the Corbin. If they raise the seat up a bit for me, I think it will be fine. The Corbin just puts me in an awkward position. Of course I came from riding an RC51 so I am more used to the bend. After I sort all this out I may lower the pegs. I am not nearly as tall as you, I am just under 5' 11".

ok, good luck !!  8)
HeliBar Risers/Knight Design Lowered Pegs/Super Shark Skins/Cee Bailey Ultra Tour/TechSpec Snake Skin

Offline PH14

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2014, 03:15:23 PM »
ok, good luck !!  8)

Thanks! I'm sure if I send my seat in to Corbin, I will know in about 2 months or so.  ::)

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2014, 03:44:35 PM »
Guys,

Whether we are talking about seats or windshields, it would help greatly
if you provide your height and inseam

Thanks

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2014, 03:46:11 PM »
 :rotflmao: :popcorn:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2014, 03:49:54 PM »
Guys,

Thanks

Don't know if we really want to know what your's is with the name "Gigantor"!   :-\

But, since you're asking, I am 6'1" with a 34 inseam and I'm getting the Sargent seat. I'll let you know how it feels and fits once I get it.
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline PH14

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2014, 04:43:28 PM »
Guys,

Thanks

I posted earlier, Height just a hair under 5' 11". I may not have added inseam, 32". Most important in this discussion though is that I don't have a fat ass.  ;D I weight in usually at 165 but at the moment am at 170. The dish of the Corbin is too deep for me, if I had more on my posterior it would lift the larger softer things up and off the seat causing less pain.  :o

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2014, 05:58:11 AM »
Whether we are talking about seats or windshields, it would help greatly if you provide your height and inseam

They may laugh (and it is a bit funny with your nick) but you are very correct.  I have requested that also in the past on such threads.  Reporting one's height is almost meaningless because on a bike you are sitting.  Nobody knows their torso height, but with at least an inseam added to height, you can kinda back into an overall picture.  I am 5'7" but knowing I have only like a 27" inseam tells you I have short legs and a rather long torso... my sitting height is as tall as many 6 foot tall guys.  Also, arm and leg length are almost always directly relational- short legs means short arms, which also GREATLY affects sitting position when holding the grips.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 07:12:10 AM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2014, 06:23:23 AM »
Hear hear!  Exactly, I think inseam is only relevant to how bendy your knees are to the pegs.  Torso height has everything to do with how you sit in the pocket.  We hear many requests on what combinations work as far as seat and bars and etc.. but it is so subjective to the rider and darn near impossible to say it would work for someone else unfortunately.  I'm thinking about sending my Russell back in for rework as the 'wings' are bothering the crap out of me and it's pushing me too far forward into the tank.  I actually asked them to do that (move me as close as possible) as that was with the original bars.  Now I have the Heli STs and I don't need for the seat to do that, plus my asbestos underwear isn't working as well anymore.  I can't really say that my ass has gotten bigger, at least my wife doesn't think so...  As far as my belly.....sigh. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Big Mike

• Binghamton, NY
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2014, 06:46:24 AM »
Guys,

Thanks

6'8" with a 38" inseam..  :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2014, 07:12:57 AM »
6'8" with a 38" inseam..  :)

You are, indeed, a big Mike
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2014, 07:17:08 AM »
I guess having both numbers helps if you do the math then you get an approximation of torso/neck/head but I would think we would need neck and head height plus arm length to truly get this right.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2014, 07:36:03 AM »
I guess having both numbers helps if you do the math then you get an approximation of torso/neck/head but I would think we would need neck and head height plus arm length to truly get this right.

I believe there is a ratio formula that can be used to determine sitting height, torso length and arm length based on standing height and inseam.  I don't know what that is, however.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2014, 07:37:38 AM »
I'm sure that someone knows that but if it's an algebraic word problem I want nothing to do with it....makes my brane hurt.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2014, 07:39:26 AM »
Might as well get ass width and  belly protrusion numbers also.