Author Topic: Will these change how we view LED lights?  (Read 5626 times)

Son of Pappy

Will these change how we view LED lights?
« on: January 22, 2014, 03:58:19 PM »
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948701

From what I read, and have heard, these are going to be winners.  Talking with Daryl (Cyclops owner) he is very positive these are the real deal and for bikes that run heated gear or lower output stators these are sure to be an added benefit, not to mention the extra light they put out.  Once he has them up for sale I will be getting a set for the GS and VFR, I'll be sure to report what I "see" ;) :)

Offline Charlie747

Re: Will these change how we view LED lights?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 04:17:49 PM »
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948701

From what I read, and have heard, these are going to be winners.  Talking with Daryl (Cyclops owner) he is very positive these are the real deal and for bikes that run heated gear or lower output stators these are sure to be an added benefit, not to mention the extra light they put out.  Once he has them up for sale I will be getting a set for the GS and VFR, I'll be sure to report what I "see" ;) :)

:goodpost:

more and more European vehicle manufactures are fitting LED as OE.................it is the future

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 04:36:34 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 04:48:32 PM »
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 05:37:53 PM »
I am very skeptical that the technology is ready yet for replacement LED bulbs.  Mostly due to light output, longevity due to heat, and reflector pattern/placement issues.  It holds tremendous promise, though... and will certainly obsolete both factory and replacement HID headlights in the not too distant future.

Very interesting.  I agree with Gumby/MrPepsi....   :popcorn:
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 06:36:53 PM »
Max, it is a direct replacement for the bulb, uses OEM reflectors, heat is managed by a small fan on the base of the bulb.  These will be tested on hard core dirt bikes, if they hold up to the dust, vibrations, and moisture under these conditions I feel %100 confident they will perform well on the street.  I am a light whore, the GS is lit like the 4th of July once I am off road.  This version is new and will not be for sale until several bikes have run them with satisfaction and issue free.  I'll be running them when I do the AZ and UT Back Country Discovery Routes, some brutal miles on a fully kitted GS.  Not a place to run out of lights for sure.  If they fail?  I'll report as I sure as heck do not want to endorse something that failed.

Chet

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 07:00:37 PM »
:popcorn: hell i havent even upgraded to silverstars yet, but im interested

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 07:12:55 PM »
I should have a set by mid Feb.  I'll post pics, install, before/after and impression.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 07:29:26 PM »

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 08:43:21 PM »
 :popcorn: X 3

From the AV post:
Using epistar emitters
, Epistar doesn't have white LED's listed on their website.
Drop in replacement? Doubt it. The point light source for an LED is miles away from an incandescent/HID/Halogen... LED's need a collimeter (lens) to get the light flowing in a *reasonably* straight direction. A stock scooter reflector won't cut it.

Is the technology there? A-yup. Those strobes you see on airplanes (anticollision lights) are made w/ LED's now. A handfull of hi-wattage LED's, not necessarily over driven, about the size of an almond. Unidirectional hemispherical dispersion though.

Rick

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:38:36 PM by Rick Hall »
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »
:popcorn: X 3

From the AV post:  , Epistar doesn't have white LED's listed on their website.
Drop in replacement? Doubt it. The point light source for an LED is miles away from an incandescent/HID/Halogen... LED's need a collimeter (lens) to get the light flowing in a *reasonably* straight direction. A stock scooter reflector won't cut it.

Is the technology there? A-yup. Those strobes you see on airplanes (anticollision lights) are made w/ LED's now. A handfull of hi-wattage LED's, not necessarily over driven, about the size of an almond. Unidirectional dispersion though.

Rick
All I can say is I trust the source.  I haven't seen them yet, but soon (isn't that marketing 101?). :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 10:49:59 PM »
I posted in that thread over there.  And if you can, I'll take two of them just to get warmed up.

Retail price on these will be around $60.00
The bulbs will work in H4 H6 and H7 fixtures.
We will offer a 2 year warranty.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 12:04:41 AM »
I posted in that thread over there.  And if you can, I'll take two of them just to get warmed up.
He is out at the moment, if not I'd already have them installed for the Vancouver MC Show this weekend :)

Offline pistole

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 07:15:04 AM »
the LED headlight on my R1200GS is very good , lighting and visibility wise.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 01:09:27 PM »
I have just installed some Chinese LEDs myself...the ones in the link appear to be a variation on the same thing.  Bright?  Definitely.  White?  Much whiter than the OEM bulbs, or Silverstars even.  Which are pretty good.  Beam pattern does not have motorists flashing, and illuminates the road pretty well.  No scientific analysis just yet.  Long road trip this weekend, including a bunch after dark.  So I will know soon.

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 01:54:05 PM »
I have just installed some Chinese LEDs myself...the ones in the link appear to be a variation on the same thing.  Bright?  Definitely.  White?  Much whiter than the OEM bulbs, or Silverstars even.  Which are pretty good.  Beam pattern does not have motorists flashing, and illuminates the road pretty well.  No scientific analysis just yet.  Long road trip this weekend, including a bunch after dark.  So I will know soon.

saxman

Can you post a link?
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 02:58:45 PM »
the LED headlight on my R1200GS is very good , lighting and visibility wise.

There is a *HUGE* difference between a factory designed LED fixture (or HID) and some aftermarket bulb swap into a housing and reflector not designed for that technology.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc