Author Topic: Laminar windshield extensions  (Read 25666 times)

Offline phoneman

Laminar windshield extensions
« on: December 02, 2013, 06:46:29 AM »
  I keep seeing folks talk about adding these to their shields to help move the airflow higher.
  There was one on my stock shield on my 12 Wee and it did help even though the shield was still to short for me.

I have a new CeeBailey extra tall dome on my Concours now and it is pretty decent but I have the CeeBailey euro tour that came on the bike so I got to thinking about adding a laminar extension to it just to see if I could get the airflow up a little higher.  You know-- just something to try out.

Where is everybody buying these extensions or are yall just making them ?

Offline Evert

Re: Laminar windshield extensions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:46:49 AM »
I have the Laminar Lip on my '09 on stock Kawi windshield and am very happy with it, can cruise at 140 km with helmet visor open. I consider it an excellent alternative to buying an expensive after-market windshield.
'09 ABS-Candy Diamond Red, baby!!

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 04:06:28 AM »

I'm a Laminar Lip user also. Tried every shield available and thought I'd never find one that didn't leave me with a lot of wind noise whenever in the wind or above 70 mph. Finally went back to my CeeBailey Xtra Tall Dome and added a Laminar Lip. Love it! really cuts down on the wind noise and lets me run the shield about 1/2 up and well below my line of vision. Looks cool also.

Fork

Offline phoneman

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 05:14:34 AM »
  Thanks guys.

I think I'll try one on the shorter shield first and if it helps I will try it on the xtra tall dome.

Thanks again

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 05:43:36 PM »
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-creen-add-on-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade-clamp-on

Oh neat!  I don't think I have ever seen that one before...  mounts without drilling, comes with a one way and two way adjustable arms.  Not cheap but very interesting.  With this I could add it to my existing shield and make additional adjustments quickly if it is too low or tall.  And it could be moved to a shorty shield later for flexibility in the warmer months, too.

1) Has anyone on the forums used this Twistedthrottle MRA X-Screen Tour before at all?
2) Was it on a Concours 14?
3) 1st gen or 2nd gen?
4) Bolt on or clamp on model?
5) Are they adjustable without tools?  (Can't tell from the instructions)
6) Have any pictures you can share (of it mounted on a C14)?
7) What did you think?  Pluses, minuses.

This might be the solution I have been looking/waiting for....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 03:20:14 AM »
I've been debating buying the MRA X-Screen Tour as well.
So if anyone has any relivant input on this or the Laminar Lip, please post it.  ;D
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 04:34:37 PM »
Oh neat!  I don't think I have ever seen that one before...  mounts without drilling, comes with a one way and two way adjustable arms.  Not cheap but very interesting.  With this I could add it to my existing shield and make additional adjustments quickly if it is too low or tall.  And it could be moved to a shorty shield later for flexibility in the warmer months, too.

1) Has anyone on the forums used this Twistedthrottle MRA X-Screen Tour before at all?
2) Was it on a Concours 14?
3) 1st gen or 2nd gen?
4) Bolt on or clamp on model?
5) Are they adjustable without tools?  (Can't tell from the instructions)
6) Have any pictures you can share (of it mounted on a C14)?
7) What did you think?  Pluses, minuses.

This might be the solution I have been looking/waiting for....

Yeah I have one  ...nice  but I'm sure YOU would have to remap your ECU to use it :battle:
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »
Yeah I have one  ...nice 

Neat!  So I had/have 7 questions for you....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 07:15:15 PM »
Max, I've used a homemade version of the MRA x-screen on the stock 08 shield. I started out testing the concept before I spent the money for it and ended up spending 20+ hrs on it. Could have worked overtime at work and been hundreds of $ ahead! Mine requires tools to adjust, so a major improvement of the MRA version would be tool-free adjustments. I don't have one but I do believe the MRA airfoils are adjustable without tools. I've seen them on other bikes. I think you could just reach out and move it while riding. There are some threads on them on this and the COG forum. I attached a pict of mine (airfoil in down position) and a picture I found with entire MRA shield with airfoil.

It works pretty good. The stock shield in the up position was really bad for me; lots of noise and buffeting. I figured it was so bad that justified drilling holes in it to improve it. I put a Cal-Sci type hole in it too. Anyway, with the airfoil in the low position (top edge about 2" higher than top of shield) buffeting and noise with the shield up is much better, not perfect but much better.
With the air foil in the "up" position, it's really quiet with just a little buffeting on top of the helmet. Although the top-edge is in my line of sight. I think if my airfoil were taller it might have been buffet free and the top edge out of my line of sight and looking through it. I tried attaching the airfoil higher on the shield, but then there wasn't enough overlap, i.e. there was air coming through the gap that was causing more buffeting. Angle has a large effect on how well it works also, so that's bit of trial & error. Overall I think the airfoil is a good idea to cut down on buffeting since it cuts the air pressure differential way down across the top edge of the whole shield. Takes some tinkering though. I have a real Cal-Sci extra large for cold weather.  I get some air dancing on top of my helmet with it. Some kind of airfoil or laminar lip on that would probably make it more buffet free but haven't tried it yet.

I think if the airfoil were wider that would cut back on buffeting around the sides of the helmet too and after looking at pictures of the Laminar lip on many bikes I'm thinking they make them wide for a reason, although the laminar lip is not as easily adjusted as the MRA x-screen I think.

Search for other threads on more complete info on the X-screen.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:59:03 PM by PeteTN_zgtr »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 10:03:37 PM »
a major improvement of the MRA version would be tool-free adjustments. I don't have one but I do believe the MRA airfoils are adjustable without tools.

Disappointingly, I Emailed Twistedthrottle days ago and they have not even bothered to respond to my questions.  Not a good sign.  (Cuda hasn't either, but he is not trying to make money!)

I've seen them on other bikes. I think you could just reach out and move it while riding. There are some threads on them on this and the COG forum.

I might have to go to that "other" board and search...
Thanks for the info!

UPDATE:  Searched and found almost nothing on the "other" board :(
But did other searching and found the manufacturer's site:  http://www.bikehps.com/mra/x-creen.html  with a video showing it being too-less.  Exact:  http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Kawasaki_GTR1400_2007_Onwards_MRA_Adjustable_Motorcycle_Touring_Screens.html

Offline Gsun

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »

I'm a Laminar Lip user also. Tried every shield available and thought I'd never find one that didn't leave me with a lot of wind noise whenever in the wind or above 70 mph. Finally went back to my CeeBailey Xtra Tall Dome and added a Laminar Lip. Love it! really cuts down on the wind noise and lets me run the shield about 1/2 up and well below my line of vision. Looks cool also.

Fork

The web site only talks about a lip on the stock shield. What model did you use? Early or late model? And how was the fit?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 11:59:57 PM »
I have the MRA X on the GS, no tools needed to adjust it and vastly improved over the stock GS screen.

Offline Bryn

• Leicestershire.... in the heart of England
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 02:50:20 AM »
MRA X-Creen on an 09 GTR....  5'9" tall and 170lb. In my opinion better than the Cal-Sci large I had , and way better than stock.  300 miles in pouring rain through Belgium and I wasn't thinking about how poor the screen was performing ... My hunt for a decent screen is over   8)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 03:29:45 AM »
MRA X-Creen on an 09 GTR....  5'9" tall and 170lb. In my opinion better than the Cal-Sci large I had , and way better than stock.  300 miles in pouring rain through Belgium and I wasn't thinking about how poor the screen was performing ... My hunt for a decent screen is over   8)

Bryn, is that a Nebraska plate on the side of your shack?

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 06:29:58 PM »
Searches on MRA Vario might find other threads. I really remember a fairly lengthy thread here on the X-screen.

The full Vario screen with the x-screen attached is nice and looks good but at 6'1"  I think it'd be a tad short for me with the top edge in my line of sight. Although good chance it will work better than my homemade one and I could keep it lower. Don't know. BTW I tested all the windshields in the "try a free windshield" program here. None of them were buffet free. The Cal-Sci medium was the best but I don't think I tried in on the interstate either.  75mph is much different than 60.

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
I had a Laminar Lip on my Yamaha FZ-6, and it did a pretty decent job, but I didn't like the inability to adjust it.  Once it is mounted you are pretty much stuck with a small range (however large your velcro patch is).  I actually ended up bolting it to the windscreen because the adhesive did not do that well in the hot sun.  I  have a removable X-screen mounted on the windscreen of my Triumph Speedmaster, and would recommend it highly.  It took a very poor windscreen that caused a lot of buffeting, and made it a very enjoyable ride.  Very smooth with no bobbing.  I'm pretty sure it would help with just about any windscreen, and I love the fact you can adjust it to fit your needs or circumstances.

I have the Cee Bailey Ultra Tour Dome on my C14.  If you add the Baker Hand wings, it is a very good combination that controls air flow quite nicely.  If you combined that with the X-Screen it might be near to heaven...  8)

Ride safe ...
Dave

Offline Bryn

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »
Bryn, is that a Nebraska plate on the side of your shack?

Certainly is  8)

When I got my man shed it needed decorating... a very nice man over on UKGSer.com is an avid collector of licence plates, and sent me a few FOC..the Nebraska plate and some from his native South Africa  :thumbs:

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 07:55:56 PM »
I have the X-screen mounted on a V-Stream. Had terrible buffeting and noise at highway speed before. Now it's nice and quiet. Warning! After I installed it, my electric screen adjuster stopped working. I have heard from more than one source that the extra force on the mechanism from large screens can cause this. One of these days, I'll put the stock screen back on and take it in to have it looked at.

Offline Bryn

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 10:01:39 AM »
I have the X-screen mounted on a V-Stream. Had terrible buffeting and noise at highway speed before. Now it's nice and quiet. Warning! After I installed it, my electric screen adjuster stopped working. I have heard from more than one source that the extra force on the mechanism from large screens can cause this. One of these days, I'll put the stock screen back on and take it in to have it looked at.

Always a good plan not to operate the screen when you're doing much over 50 ......