Author Topic: 5inch garmin versus 4.3  (Read 19146 times)

Offline h2smokin

5inch garmin versus 4.3
« on: July 14, 2013, 02:47:51 PM »
Anyone use both befor? Just curious how they compare. Leaning toward a 5 inch model but the smaller ones quite a bit cheaper. Thanks for opinions

Offline p07r0457

Re: 5inch garmin versus 4.3
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 03:46:47 PM »
I'm curious: Why do so many motorcyclists use Garmin GPS?  I've just been using my smartphone.  What is the advantage of having another device to worry about?
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »
We don't all have smart phones.

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 04:23:33 PM »
So does your reply mean that the Garmin does not offer anything over a smartphone?

Of course then the Garmin would be useful for those who do not want to pay monthly for the data plan, but if someone already had a smart phone, it would make the Garmin obsolete.

Or is there a benefit to Garmin that I'm missing?

I didn't realize that so many people had expensive motorcycles but didn't have a smartphone.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 04:32:13 PM »
I use a low end garmin 1490 or something like that. Cost less than 2 bills iirc. I have a dumb phone cause if I had a smart phone it would just do dumb things. That bike specific gps unit have a lot of bells and whistles but other than being waterproof I don't know if there is an advantage if you already own a smart phone.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 04:34:21 PM »
So does your reply mean that the Garmin does not offer anything over a smartphone?

Of course then the Garmin would be useful for those who do not want to pay monthly for the data plan, but if someone already had a smart phone, it would make the Garmin obsolete.

I didn't realize that so many people had expensive motorcycles but didn't have a smartphone.

Does smart phone gps work in remote areas with no cell coverage?  ??? :-\

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 05:11:40 PM »

Does smart phone gps work in remote areas with no cell coverage?  ??? :-\

Yes, it can

Google maps allows you to download "offline maps" so you can view a map even if you aren't connected to the internet.

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/2650218?hl=en

There are other applications, as well.  For example, TomTom has apps for iOS devices and they store the maps on your device instead of relying on a data connection.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/tomtom-navigation-for-iphone-ipad/navigation-app/

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 06:44:03 PM »
You bring up some excellent points I think, and 'hit the nail on the head' regarding the smart phone cost.

I do not have a smart phone and would not consider getting one to use primarily as a navigation device due to the ongoing costs ("the Plan" as they call it). Now as a lot of people (most people?) today seem to have a smart phone anyway, your point becomes a lot more valid. Still, it is not a perfect or even the best solution to navigation duties on a motorcycle IMO.

The first major problem is that the screens of virtually everything made today, with the exception of motorcycle GPS's, are not bright enough to view comfortably or well in direct sunlight. Sure it may be good enough but a true motorcycle GPS has a bright, high contrast screen that is just about impossible to replace; and I have been trying to replace them for years.

The other two main duties of a GPS on my bike are to provide audio (music, audio books, spoken directions) and a phone interface. Obviously the cell phone being used as a navigation device, mounted in front of the rider somehow, would function as a phone too but I do not know if it would be as good or easy to use as a motorcycle GPS. The display shows the caller ID and big icons for Answer and Ignore and these are easy to see while riding down the road. As far as audio, I suspect a smart phone could be coupled into a comm. system on a motorcycle easy enough.

Two more issues are weatherproofing and charging; the dedicated motorcycle GPS addresses both very well. They are weatherproof and can simply be ignored and left in place in a driving rain. A smart phone would have to be removed, covered with something like a plastic bag, or put into some type of weatherproof case, these last two decrease the already marginal visibility even more. Finally, if one rides for a long time, and some of us do, a mounted GPS will continue to function and remain fully charged as long as the bike runs. Not sure what it would take to charge a smart phone underway although of course I believe that could be done fine. But the charging connection would not be waterproof, unless the entire unit was mounted in a weatherproof enclosure to begin with and that is usually a big pain to install / remove from the bike when getting on / off the bike and wanting to take your phone with you.

Another thought that probably does not apply to most people but some of us really count on our GPS's while riding and the best way to ensure success is to carry two. I carry two GPS's when traveling reasonably locally, and three when traveling long distances. That is just not practical with smart phones for the obvious reason, cost.

All of that said, motorcycle GPS's are tremendously expensive for what they provide. Unfortunately they are about the only way to get what they provide, mostly that bright, high- contrast screen.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »
Yes, it can

Google maps allows you to download "offline maps" so you can view a map even if you aren't connected to the internet.

That's cool, I didn't know that.

As for me I have the Zumo 660 and like all the extra features and things about it and how easy it is to use while riding with the big glove friendly anti glare waterproof touch screen to scroll through my tunes and phone address book to make a call etc. Not necessary I know, but I like it.  :)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 07:12:12 PM »
You'd like it even better if you did not have it set to display black text on a black background just to keep in synch. with your bike's theme....

;D

Brian

That's cool, I didn't know that.

As for me I have the Zumo 660 and like all the extra features and things about it and how easy it is to use while riding with the big glove friendly anti glare waterproof touch screen to scroll through my tunes and phone address book to make a call etc. Not necessary I know, but I like it.  :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 07:27:26 PM »
Son of a gun, I thought he was sporting the green outfit today..

Oh, and about the GPS screen size, I like to see the map at a glance, and since I'm not gettin' younger,
my eyes are starting to crap out, and I'm using reading glasses to see my frickin' smart phone,
so I'd appreciate it if you would get off my damn back about it!!
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 07:28:02 PM »
You'd like it even better if you did not have it set to display black text on a black background just to keep in synch. with your bike's theme....

;D

Brian

;D ;D ;D

If I could only get it to do GREEN text for the current bodywork would be nice Brian...  8) :thumbs: :cool: :chugbeer:

Offline udoggie

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 07:47:39 PM »
I have a Garmin.

• It is waterproof.  My phone is not.
  • It has a touch screen that has buttons large enough for me to use with gloves.  My phone does not.
  • It doesn't require a data plan.  My phone doesn't have one.
  • It handles routing, waypoints, location info.  My phone doesn't, at least at the level of my GPS.  (route importing, works across the entire US, ...  Google maps only imports a VERY limited area for off-line use.)
  • I can read the screen on my GPS.  I can't on my phone nearly as easily.

I'm sure there's more, but that's just off the top of my head.

It's a personal decision, just like the color of your bike/gear, or even the choice of your ride.  There is no "right" answer.

Jeff

Aloha, OR.

Offline pistole

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 08:01:39 PM »
- its better , imho , to be EITHER lost or incommunicado

compared to

lost AND incommunicado

- hence my phone is dry & happy in my riding pants , and the garmin is out there in the elements to tell me where to go.

- that and if I crashed , I want the phone to be near

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 09:31:49 PM »

How about:

* Smartphones have capacitive screens that is not compatible with gloves.
* Smartphones are not weatherproof.
* Smartphones are not designed to be vibrated constantly.
* Smartphones are more expensive and a lot more sensitive to theft .
* Typically smartphones need a constant data connection to display location/maps or another app or a lot of downloading, or whatever.
* Smartphones don't mount as well.

You are assuming that just because someone is using a Garmin, they don't have a smart phone... that would not be a good assumption.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 09:54:08 PM »

For me it is a matter of choosing the best item for the task. Others have pointed out the benefits to using a standalone GPS over a phone so I wont rehash those, but I will counter your last sentence. I have an expensive bike and don't have to save a few dollars by trying to make my phone function as a GPS. I can just buy a dedicated GPS and by done with it.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 10:11:44 PM »
For me it is a matter of choosing the best item for the task. Others have pointed out the benefits to using a standalone GPS over a phone so I wont rehash those, but I will counter your last sentence. I have an expensive bike and don't have to save a few dollars by trying to make my phone function as a GPS. I can just buy a dedicated GPS and by done with it.

Everyone can have their own opinion.  Personally, I looked at the personal GPS boxes and thought that their features couldn't compete with a smartphone.  (My main complaint is the need to sync the GPS with a computer to get updates, if they're available, at all).

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 10:15:12 PM »
How about:

* Smartphones have capacitive screens that is not compatible with gloves.
* Smartphones are not weatherproof.
* Smartphones are not designed to be vibrated constantly.
* Smartphones are more expensive and a lot more sensitive to theft .
* Typically smartphones need a constant data connection to display location/maps or another app or a lot of downloading, or whatever.
* Smartphones don't mount as well.

You are assuming that just because someone is using a Garmin, they don't have a smart phone... that would not be a good assumption.

Meh.

I have "normal" leather gloves (Icon Twenty-Niner) and they work with my iPhone 5 without any issue.

Most smartphones are not weatherproof, but that's changing.  Check out the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active.  Milspec water and dust resistent.

Vibration is a moot point.  Everyone carries their phone on their motorcycle, so whether you use it for navigation or not does not change the fact that they've proven reliable under vibration.

GPS is left on the motorcycle -- a juicy target for theft.  Phone comes with me, so it wont get stolen unless I leave it somewhere (my fault, and affects anything -- not just a phone/gps) or if I'm mugged, in which case, that doesn't help the gps either.

I've already provided two solutions to the "data" problem.

Smartphones mount okay from what I've seen.  Same as GPS.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 03:34:12 AM »
We don't all have smart phones.

My phone isn't smart either.  I've only just started using a non-mc GPS instead of index cards and large print maps.  One day, you can be sure, though, that I will get a MC only GPS, but for now the non-mc one works fine for me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 05:41:36 AM »
I have "normal" leather gloves (Icon Twenty-Niner) and they work with my iPhone 5 without any issue.

I have never had any riding gloves that would work on a capacitive screen.

Vibration is a moot point.  Everyone carries their phone on their motorcycle, so whether you use it for navigation or not does not change the fact that they've proven reliable under vibration.

No, there is a world of difference between being hard mounted to the bike and being on a squishy "bag of mostly water" or some other isolated place.

GPS is left on the motorcycle -- a juicy target for theft.

You don't have to leave it.  And even if you did, a GPS isn't worth much anymore.  Far, far less than a phone (typically, hopefully that will change when the companies get around to bricking stolen phones.)  #1 crime right now is phone theft. 

Smartphones mount okay from what I've seen.  Same as GPS.

Not that I have seen.  Most mounts look like some semi-generic, large, freaky clamp thing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc