Author Topic: Will a ZX14 or ZX14R motor etc drop right into a C14?  (Read 26253 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Will a ZX14 or ZX14R motor etc drop right into a C14?
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2013, 08:32:37 PM »
ZG knows I'm just funnin...  Now where's my sharpening stone?  ;D

;D :grouphug: :chugbeer:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2013, 09:22:05 PM »
Just wait for the next C14, I am sure it will probably have the ZX14 engine. Then you would've done a bunch of work for nothing. Of course if you can wring your current configuration of all its potential, I would really like to see that.  :popcorn:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »
Being contray (as usual), why/what leads you down the turbo=destruction road?  Properly built, low/mid boost and you have a bullet proof motor.  And IMO must sexier/exotic than a stocl ZX motor.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2013, 05:40:00 AM »
Being contray (as usual), why/what leads you down the turbo=destruction road?  Properly built, low/mid boost and you have a bullet proof motor.

I already told him that...

"Turbocharging/supercharging can be perfectly safe and place no more stress on the system than what Kawasaki did to squeeze more power.  It just depends on how much boost.  It is amazing what just a few pounds can do.  Yes, some people will throw 8 or 10 pounds and blow an engine apart.  Higher boosts require a much stronger engine."
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2013, 11:52:46 AM »
I already told him that...

"Turbocharging/supercharging can be perfectly safe and place no more stress on the system than what Kawasaki did to squeeze more power.  It just depends on how much boost.  It is amazing what just a few pounds can do.  Yes, some people will throw 8 or 10 pounds and blow an engine apart.  Higher boosts require a much stronger engine."

The motor is plenty strong enough for 8-10lbs... probably a lot more. It's the fuel system that has to be reinforced. As someone posted in the other thread, you tuning window just gets smaller and smaller as the boost goes up.

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2013, 11:57:01 AM »
And IMO must sexier/exotic than a stocl ZX motor.

Sadly, only 2 people only ever noticed the turbo on my bike without it being pointed out to them. One was the guy in the burnout box after my 4th pass ("I thought I heard something funny...."), and some random guy eyeballing the bike in a bookstore parking lot. Thousands of miles, several bike meets, and a dozen cities, and almost no one notices. It's amazing how stealth the whole set-up is. Hell, the guy at tech didn't even notice it... he saw the hard bags and the one-piece suit and just shook his head and gave me my sticker. HA!

It takes the exotic right out of it.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2013, 12:32:39 PM »
Exotic happens at speed ;)  I'm sure a filter can be had to amplify the existance of the turbo for show but stealth was a part of yer goal, right?

motocopter

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2013, 02:29:22 PM »
Does this kit sound like a good starting point? Seems to be many similarities with the ZX-14 with regards to the intake/frame, oiling system, and general space within the fairing.

http://www.mrturbo.com/turbo-sys/kawasaki/zx14/zx14.html

My 750turbo had a Mr. Turbo kit (T-2) installed in place of the OEM Hitachi unit.

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »
Does this kit sound like a good starting point? Seems to be many similarities with the ZX-14 with regards to the intake/frame, oiling system, and general space within the fairing.

http://www.mrturbo.com/turbo-sys/kawasaki/zx14/zx14.html

My 750turbo had a Mr. Turbo kit (T-2) installed in place of the OEM Hitachi unit.

Yup. The big hurdle is the exhaust set-up. That configuration leaves you with a dump pipe and a filter sticking through the fairing if you want to filter the air pre-turbo (not necessary if you run some mesh in front of the impeller). If you want to run factory exhaust you'll need to make some changes. But other than that and how you run the pre-turbo intake, the ZX-14 is exactly the same set-up as the Concours. You may want to use a better scavenge pump than the one they have pictured... if they are still using that style pump anyway. Keep it @ 8psi or less and you'll be good. :)

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2013, 06:07:03 PM »
Spaz: I've been following this thread but not commenting 'cause I haven't many miles on my turboed C14 to prove its long term reliability. However, I will offer a comment concerning the need/or not for a scavenger pump. Chris Jones has my turbo installed high enough so it gravity feeds the oil return without need for a scavenger pump. You know I'm not a techie/motorhead but that's what Chris told me. I have 9.5 CR forged JE turbo ZX14 pistons. I also have a 2 stage boost controller with 7 lbs. for 215 bhp street use as well as track launching and 11 lbs. 2nd stage for 238 bhp at the track. For those who say the shaft drive costs hp, keep in mind the quoted bhp is at the rear wheel after the shaft has caused a loss of power. If crank hp were being quoted, then the shaft would cause less hp to the rear wheel than a chain drive. I now have a very low Catalyst step drag seat with a reinforcing under brace and removable sheepskin covered gel/memory foam pad. I've removed more weight and the bike is lowered front and rear with an adjustable side stand and strapped front end for the track. I also put the shorty slashcut pipes back on, removed the dual Muzzys CFs and put the bags back on but no more passenger stuff, grab handles or rack/trunk. Lew

Son of Pappy

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2013, 07:11:15 PM »
 ::)DROOL ::)

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2013, 09:35:50 PM »
Good to see you Lew. :)

Sure thing, if you mount it high enough you don't need a pump. When I remake my manifold I'm doing the same thing... but if you buy a kit from someone else you don't get the choice. :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2013, 10:23:42 PM »

The motor is plenty strong enough for 8-10lbs... probably a lot more.

I would consider that a pretty good amount of boost I was thinking in 6 or under range would be "safe" and anything more would be... well, who knows (as far as long-term reliability).

Keep it @ 8psi or less and you'll be good. :)

That sounds like good advice.  10 is pretty crazy on a stock engine, if you ask me.  Not that I have tons of experience with it, just some... and a friend who has more.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2013, 01:24:02 AM »
It's not how much boost, just where it makes it and how it's managed. My ZX10R has 12.5:1 compression (or is it 12.7:1? I forget), and it's living happily (for the moment.....) at 10psi from a centrifugal supercharger on pump gas. It has a little water/meth behind it, but it's still a homebrew effort that is going well.

For reference on the C14: a lot of folks have made in excess of 300 (and even 400!) horsepower on stock engine internals in the ZX14 platform without problems. The engine is very strong... it's the tuning and management that are far more critical. :)

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2013, 02:33:29 PM »
Who was the guy that lost the stock cast pistons and at what boost level did that happen. That the reason I have never ventured into a turbo. I didn't want to go through the bother of changing to forged pistons.

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
I'll own up to that one. :) However, it wasn't because the pistons were weak, it was because I had a rather sneaky fuel system problem that I didn't catch.... which also pretty instantly destroyed a forged piston as well. Live and learn.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2013, 03:41:18 PM »
I'll own up to that one. :) However, it wasn't because the pistons were weak, it was because I had a rather sneaky fuel system problem that I didn't catch.... which also pretty instantly destroyed a forged piston as well. Live and learn.

Plus that keeps reinforcing (no pun intended) what you have been saying about tuning/management/ controls.