Author Topic: stranded by broken shift shaft linkage  (Read 5059 times)

Offline jworth

• Arena
stranded by broken shift shaft linkage
« on: October 20, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »
I'm sitting by the side of the road due to a broken shift shaft linkage.  I'm not too far from home so I'll manage but can anyone think of a roadside repair?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Offline Sparkie

Re: stranded by broken shift shaft linkage
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 04:07:45 PM »
Sounds like you might have to ride it home in a gear that you select by hand. (if you can shift it that way) Like 2nd or 3rd gear. Good luck, Mark

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 04:08:29 PM »
Just happened to be checking my email and things and saw this.  I'd be happy to take mine off and bring it to install on your bike to get you home if you are in my area, which is Northwest Washington / Olympic Peninsula.  Where are you at??
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 04:21:24 PM »
Sounds like you might have to ride it home in a gear that you select by hand. (if you can shift it that way) Like 2nd or 3rd gear. Good luck, Mark

+1.  But you'll have to put it on the center stand and let the rear wheel spin as you go up through the gears.  That "positive neutral finder" can be a PITA.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 10:08:22 PM »
Made it home in 3rd.  Cobbled up something so I think I'll be able to ride until a new part comes in. guess I'll be in touch worth TCro for his improved linkage.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:21:48 PM »
Made it home in 3rd.  Cobbled up something so I think I'll be able to ride until a new part comes in. guess I'll be in touch worth TCro for his improved linkage.
   Best damn linkage ever. 8)
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 10:33:37 AM »
I've used a small vise-grip with a piece of rag wrapped around the shift shaft splines for protection. Don't use it as a foot shift. Too easy to kick loose. Don't try to row through all 6 gears. Start in 2nd and skip a gear up or down as needed.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 11:04:37 AM »
I've used a small vise-grip with a piece of rag wrapped around the shift shaft splines for protection. Don't use it as a foot shift. Too easy to kick loose. Don't try to row through all 6 gears. Start in 2nd and skip a gear up or down as needed.

Use my shift linkage package and it will NEVER break again.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Use my shift linkage package and it will NEVER break again.....

C4 "might" weaken it a bit!!
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 03:38:13 PM »
I'm going tot take a look at it more closely.  I might take a crack at rolling my own, but if that fails, I'll be in touch with Tony.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 04:51:38 AM »
I've got tony's linkage on my concours and my voyager. At least I know those are 2 things I'll never have to worry about again! steve

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 12:35:47 PM »
I'm going tot take a look at it more closely.  I might take a crack at rolling my own, but if that fails, I'll be in touch with Tony.

You Sir are more than welcome to roll your own as I'm quite familiar with wanting to be self supportive; but in my own defense I can PROMISE you that you WILL NOT see the near total elimination of shifter slop unless you purchase a precision shoulder bolt as well as the the precision shims & washers that I provide in my kits. To which I buy these items in bulk; thusly to build the equal of my kit you WILL spend more money than I charge for my kit.

The Basic kit gives no better results than my Complete kit as I simply do some of the work for you by providing the foot lever and engine levers pre-drilled for those who don't like to use power tools.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Grandk

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 01:35:49 PM »
Tony,
How would I go about purchasing a shift linkage kit from you, do you have a website?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 03:37:45 PM »
Tony,
How would I go about purchasing a shift linkage kit from you, do you have a website?

Follow the linky... http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=67.0 Do a little reading.... Send money via PayPal to teecro @ sbcglobal . net (remove extra spaces) or email me for a snail mail transaction.....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 07:37:40 AM »
I ordered parts yesterday.  I have a plan to achieve the same effect that TCro's linkage does with the shoulder bolt.  When I get it done, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »
I'm back on the road as of today.  I ordered my parts from Midwest Control.  I ordered 2 ball joints, one with left handed threads, all in 1/4 -28 threads.  I also ordered the connecting rod and a few nuts as I wasn't sure if I could get the left hand threaded nut easily locally.  I added a couple of nuts and washers that I got locally.  I don't believe it is as strong as Tony's linkage but I think it's quite serviceable.  Oh, with the 1/4 -28 ball joints, I was able to tap the shifter and the thing on the shift shaft to match so there is no slop there.  The only slop is where the shift lever has a bit of play around it's pivot post.   I have about $40 tied up in this. 

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 09:13:18 PM »
Yep I eyeballed that style of ball joint but ultimately passed on it as I was worried that with the very small OD of the ball itself that this type of linkage would not stand the long term test of time; something that I just could not risk with a sell-able kit. Good job and good luck!
Tony P. Crochet

Offline vinny

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »
Well I must admit it has been very refreshing to read this post!
It is to both Tonys and jworths credit that they have discussed this mod in a repectful and co-operative way.
Well done and repect to both.