Author Topic: Poor radial tire availability for C-10 rear?  (Read 2182 times)

Offline gtr1000inFL

Poor radial tire availability for C-10 rear?
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:37:06 PM »
I just recently purchased an 05 C-10 and found the handling to be worse than the previous C-10 I owned.  Also the rear tire tends to skid in hard stopping.  I figured the Metzelers were to blame, having Dunlop Sportmax in the past on my earlier C-10 (93).  I checked and discovered the front Metzeler is a radial and the rear is a bias ply!   These are new tires, who would set up any bike this way????   So I've been hunting for a radial to fit the rear, and the choices for radials are not easy to find.  Anyone have a link to a good radial you would recommend?  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1659.msg18138#msg18138

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
Re: Poor radial tire availability for C-10 rear?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:50:21 PM »
My preference is the Avon AV46 radial mentioned in the thread you link in your post.  I'm getting better than the 4k miles mentioned there (6k on current tire with lots of tread still to go).

Grip and handling are good, consistent and predictable for me.

As with any tire, YMMV and you'll get many opinions, including radial-bias mix and car tires on Connies. 

:o  ???  ;)

BTW, I reread and note you complain specifically of the rear tire skidding in hard stops.  So what?  In genuine hard stops you have 90%+ weight transfer to the front, almost totally unloading the rear.  Sounds more like you have a rear brake control issue in that specific instance (get off the pedal).
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline gtr1000inFL

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 01:11:38 AM »
It's more like 70% braking from the front, and 30% rear, either way, rather than adjusting my rear brake pressure, or releasing and re-applying rear brake to maintain control, the advice on the Avon sounds more reasonable a solution if it's the most sticky I can get in this obscure tire size.  The brakes are working as they should.  Hard stopping isn't emergency stopping, hate to even try it.
This is Florida, you die here faster than 47 other states according to statistics and the sun baked roads chew up tires faster.  Any compromise in stopping power would be a serious oversight to life and limb. Having a 1200 Bandit recently, I guess I'm not pleased riding a "700 lb scooter" with tire sizes from the days of Disco.   Returning to the world of cycle limitations in exchange for a better 70-100 mile ride has mixed feelings.   :-\  Call me crazy, but I rather have a sore butt than crash.
Did you ever compare tire height of the Avon to be smaller than other brands, even being the same 150/80R/16 size?  How do they perform on wet roads/rain?    I doubt I'll wear out any tire before I get another bike, even if it's bald in 3000 miles.  I just need better traction than the Metzeler is giving me.  Thanks for the feedback on the AV46, any others? 

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 08:45:44 AM »
Did you ever compare tire height of the Avon to be smaller than other brands, even being the same 150/80R/16 size?

I did find that the Avon Venom which is a bias belted (think rayon/nylon radial) tire was slightly smaller overall than the Dunlop that I removed from a friends HD; this size was the same as the Concours 150/80-16.... To which while this is not a radial sport/tour tire the Venoms do stick and handle very well; namely when compared to the hard as plastic Metzelers. Ive run them on my Concours and have spooned them onto several other bikes and the owners were very happy with them.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline gtr1000inFL

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:40:41 PM »
My mechanic, Warren, (321-952-9000) said he can get the Dunlop Sportmax 150/80ZR/16 for $127 in a few days, so I'm going with that.  These have been great on the 04.  The Metzelers are really bad, yes, I agree with the plastic style hardness.   My 93 also had the Sportmax and it was great, so I'm going to stick with what I've used.  Thanks for the input.