Author Topic: Switchback LEDs Take 2  (Read 3737 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Switchback LEDs Take 2
« on: February 14, 2017, 01:52:19 PM »
Ok so following on from my original thread I've been perusing the bay of fleas and may have come up with an even easier solution.

Take qty 2 of each of the below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-1157-2057-2357-Socket-Adapter-Harness-Wiring-For-Turn-Signal-Light-Bulb-/232042260664?hash=item3606cbe8b8:g:cHsAAOSw6n5XqH~~

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Amber-White-Dual-Color-Switchback-60-LED-Front-Turn-Signal-Light-Bulb-F7-/322332394267?hash=item4b0c82031b:g:LOgAAOSwPCVX5Itr

1> Remove the inner panels as previously described to gain access
2> Remove the small sub loom which has the OEM Socket on
3> Replace with the new one splicing into the original 2 pin  connector  unless someone has a source for those in which case make up a complete new loom
4> Run Wire to City Light
6> Reinstall
7> Replace Panels
6> Enjoy

NB I haven't done this but that socket looks like it should fit straight out of the box , even if it doesn't it would be easier to adapt than the rubber bung in my working install

EDIT

Sorry will also need a couple of 50w 6ohm load resistors or a different turn signal relay to prevent hyperflashing
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Switchback LEDs Take 2
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 03:43:09 PM »
Interesting, never seen a switchback BULB before!  And so freakin' cheap too.  Caution: All the cheap and all but one of the expensive amber bulbs I tested were nowhere near as bright as the incandescents they were meant to replace.

But not sure why this needed a new thread...  would be more relevant over there.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 03:58:26 PM »
Interesting, never seen a switchback BULB before!  And so freakin' cheap too.  Caution: All the cheap and all but one of the expensive amber bulbs I tested were nowhere near as bright as the incandescents they were meant to replace.

But not sure why this needed a new thread...  would be more relevant over there.

It's the neat , tidy and structured way my brain works :)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Gixerhp

• The Lighting Guy,,,
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 07:18:15 AM »
Just some input here, buying the cheaper bulbs up front is ok, they work for a while and then start losing leds.
Ive been making these kits for Hayabusa's for almost 10 years.
I also have done many sportbike mirrors, the same way, just need more patience to deal with them!
I have them for Goldwings now too.
Yes i have made changes, to what ive sold. Because i have always sold my stuff with a 2 year warranty on the bulbs and life on my install kits.
Only thing i wont cover, is if you wreck your bike and the sockets are damaged, thus why i charge what I charge for my kits.
My kit is also 100% plug and play also.
The socket you posted will work, need some modding, and are a knuckle buster to get in and out.
Good Luck, it a Great mod and works great. You might find a some feedback when you shut the bike off on some bikes, but not all. Some will click and flash 6 time every now and then, im still tring to narrow this down.
Good Luck
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline Oilman

• Live to Ride
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 01:05:08 PM »
Gixerhp - do you have a suggestion for a high quality LED. I would prefer to not have the problems associated with the cheap bulbs for the switchback.
2011 C-14 ABS, 33,000 mi, Stock heated grips, Heated Corbin seat, Cee Bailey's windshield, Two Brothers carbon fiber M2. TPX Radar/Laser detector, TPX Laser Jammer w  front & rear transponders, Dunlop RS3's.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 02:02:00 PM »
These are what I use. Work great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09C234Y12
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Oilman

• Live to Ride
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 02:26:41 PM »
Thanks Big Red, are these plug and play? no wiring involved?
2011 C-14 ABS, 33,000 mi, Stock heated grips, Heated Corbin seat, Cee Bailey's windshield, Two Brothers carbon fiber M2. TPX Radar/Laser detector, TPX Laser Jammer w  front & rear transponders, Dunlop RS3's.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 02:57:04 PM »
Thanks Big Red, are these plug and play? no wiring involved?
Sorry Oilman.  You have to change out the stock bulb holder (1156) and add a hot wire to run the white light (1157 base).  An 1157 bulb will not work in the stock 1156 socket.  I think I tapped into the city lights at the nose of the bike for a power supply.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline deepseamdv

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 08:08:21 PM »
The switchback lights sold by Gixerhp are true plug & play. You do have to replace the bulb sockets but the ones he provides are complete with OEM style plugs and connectors. You will need to remove the tail light and some of the plastics.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, 09C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph

Offline Oilman

• Live to Ride
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2023, 12:30:41 PM »
Deepseamdv, how do I buy the light package? website?

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline deepseamdv

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2023, 07:18:18 PM »
Contact by email at gixerhp@aol.com
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, 09C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph