Author Topic: Where do you guys buy new tires from?  (Read 4406 times)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Where do you guys buy new tires from?
« on: September 29, 2022, 08:09:54 AM »
I currently have OEM sized Shinko 777 bias for the rear and Shinko Verge 011 radial for the front.

Rear 150/80/16
Front 120/70/18

Both tires were installed Oct 2014 at ~9,500mi. I currently have ~32,500 miles!! Mostly commuting and weekend rides. They have served me well, as you can see.

My local dealer is not stocking the 777 so I am going online. 

Any online shopping recommendations?
And any other same class tire substitutes you like?

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Re: Where do you guys buy new tires from?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 09:47:32 AM »
I get mine from Cycle Gear. Reasonable price, free shipping. And their customer service has been very good to me. Same price class, I use the Dunlop RS3 on my C14 and have had really good life out of them. They only make it in the front size, but a good tire. Upon thinking about it, probably better to stick with the same brand front and rear...
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 10:21:46 AM »
I will look at cycle gear. Haven't used them before, so glad to know you had a good experience.

The dealer was trying to sell me some Dunlop D404. Are they any good? People don't seem to like them much.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 12:00:35 PM »
I don't have any experience with the D404, but reviews on CG are good. I like their reviews because they don't push any brand over another.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 12:09:07 PM »
Oh! If you have GovX discount, CG honors that.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 12:31:21 PM »
Sometimes, not always, but sometimes you get lucky and your local dealer will match whatever price you find online like mine did. I'm also lucky that I have a Cycle Gear store less than 1 mile from my house, their deal sounds decent, the savings alone in shipping make up for what they charge to mount, I've not dealt with them in tires but will most likely next time. Try the people below just for grins, it's been awhile since I got tires from them, I was happy last time. The other link is just a lot of bike stuff but has loads of sites for tires and such, you will need to dig.

https://www.jpcycles.com/

http://www.davidst.com/motorcycle_links.html
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 12:55:23 PM »
Try the people below just for grins,...
https://www.jpcycles.com/

They're all part of the same group now. RevZilla, J&P, and CG. Their prices SHOULD be the same across all three brands.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 01:23:16 PM »
They have a CG here in Northern VA not too far from DC. I didn't know that!! I thought they were online only. Thanks Big Red. :chugbeer: I will call them this weekend.

And a great resource link Strawboss. Thank you for that too.  :chugbeer:

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 01:33:52 PM »
I have usually bought tires from a local dealer in my tri-state area. Most match prices and frankly all the prices are very similar. I don't think there's much markup on these tires anyway.

Now, I have only had Shinko on this bike as it was my new (used) purchase in 2015. At the time it only had 6K or so miles and the original tires. They looked new but were hard. So rode around for a few months and got shinko. Been happy with them but wished they were a little grippier. Or maybe it just feels like that now that they are old and bald.

I have had Avon and liked that they were stickier. Metzler was ok. I have had some other brands here and there but nothing memorable. They were also all on different bikes like my previous Intruder 800, gsx750, Ex500, Vulcan 500.....meh the usual small bikes for city rats like us. Nothing as big as the C10. So I have no tire comparison other than what you all tell me.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 03:21:29 AM »
On my C10 I use a Michelin PR3 front in 110/80-18 and an Avon 3DXM rear in 150/80-16.
I have had 4 rears to 3 fronts so far and I get between 6k and 8k on the rear and 8k to 10k on the fronts.
I can't comment on the Shinko's as they are not available here and I NEVER fit budget tyres on any of my vehicles as I won't cheap out on tyres or brakes.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 09:10:49 AM »
I hear you on the cheapo tires and brakes.

I am looking for some AM26, but like last time they are out everywhere or discontinued.

For my 2001 C10, am I truly safe to go with a  110/80/18  tire for my front, riding solo and especially with a passenger, over pot holes, tight leaned turns, etc? I understand it is not the OEM size but many riders such as yourself use them with no issues... I always shy away from making any such non-OEM size changes to my tires.

Offline greenie

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2022, 06:15:21 AM »
I had a practically new Avon 3DXM develop a bulge and a wobble on a trip where we were 2 up with 100 pounds of stuff - but still within tire and bike maximum weight capacities. I had a Shinko develop the same issue. One time it cut our vacation short as we wobbled back to the US, the other time we found a replacement tire (Pirelli) in Mexico and continued on.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 02:00:11 AM »
For my 2001 C10, am I truly safe to go with a  110/80/18  tire for my front, riding solo and especially with a passenger, over pot holes, tight leaned turns, etc? I understand it is not the OEM size but many riders such as yourself use them with no issues... I always shy away from making any such non-OEM size changes to my tires.
Yes, mine is an '89 so I have the older narrower rim, but I have ridden several 94-06 C10s fitted with the 110/80 front and they ride just like my '89.
The 110/80 tyre is actually a better fit on the later 3" wide rim than the 120/70 is.

As for the defective Avons, I have heard lots of instances in the USA, but very few here in the UK or EU.
I'm not sure, but since Avon are owned by Cooper Tire & Rubber, chances are that their Motorcycle tyres are made in the USA or Mexico for the US market.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 08:29:32 AM »
I've used the Avon Storms for a few tire cycles now with no issues. The Metzlers were a bit hard for me but lasted a long time. Tires for the C-10 are out there, you may need to get a little creative in finding them. Dealers have all sorts of connections to find things, well, most do if they want to help you. Your tires are at their fingertips, the problem being they may cost a bit as they need to get them to you. Good luck, those of us who still have C-10's have all gone through your situation lately, you will find tires, they are out there, you just need the connection.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2022, 09:03:02 AM »
Thanks guys.

Thanks Big Red and Strawboss. I have contacted my local CG and the guys there were able to give me choices that worked fine for me. And after a lazy, rainy weekend of web browsing, you are right, I think there are still plenty of tires left out there for the C10. Most online shops carry one or the other, and with free shipping on most sites, if you don't find both tires in one place, just order from two and add small parts for future wrenching.

Boomer, thanks for the confirmation. I am gong with the 110/80. Why not. I had the 120/70 Shinko before and hopefully the 110 will get rid of that stupid wobble I always had at ~40mph. Maybe... ??? we'll see.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2022, 12:22:27 PM »
No problem, DC. Glad you've figured something out. You'll have to let us know how the 110/80 goes.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2022, 04:08:22 AM »
Let us know how you find the 110/80. Hopefully you will like the difference.
It's not major until you start hurling her around the twisties. That's where you feel the most difference.
40psi in the front before you ask, and I run 42psi in the rear.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2022, 08:18:48 AM »
I do what Boomer does and it works for me too. Although, in Ohio, that's not too often as I have to go south 80 miles before it gets interesting. ;D

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2022, 02:35:18 PM »
Just chiming in...I know you got your answers. I buy from americanmototire.com, or amazon. Sometimes one is cheaper, sometimes the other is cheaper..I just watch them both.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2022, 03:42:59 PM »
Thanks. I looked at them. Prices were comparable. Sales are what makes a difference if you can find one.

And thanks to Boomer, I got the 110 sz front. Fits nicely. Haven't had an opportunity to take it out on really tight curves. The best I could do was George Wash Mem Pkwy. Few gentle curves but I pushed into the curves as much as I could. Turns definitely felt tighter. What I also noticed-- both tires were not slipping on the white paint! My old tires may have been a little worn down :)

I will stick with the 110 from hereon forth!