Author Topic: Crankcase full of gasoline  (Read 1943 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Crankcase full of gasoline
« on: September 25, 2012, 07:25:56 AM »
What needs to be done?
I am restoring a badly neglected 02 Ninja 500R. I had just finished a full rebuild of the carbs, including new float valves. I changed oil and filter and it was starting and idling/revving well. I noticed the tires were dry rotted so it sat for a week while I waited for tires, eager to see how it would actually run.

I changed the tires and tried to start it. I went to turn on the fuel petcock and saw I had left it on. (Non vacuum type) When I tried the starter it would run briefly then die. I adjusted the idle up but it would just run faster then die.  I checked the fuel tank and it was nearly empty when it should have been half full. I saw  the oil sight glass was blacked out.

I drained the oil and out came at least 6 qtz of gas and oil mix, the CC only hold 3 qtz.

My main concern is how to make sure the gas is flushed out and if any damage has been done by running it for about two minutes with 50/50 gas/oil in the CC.

I am also wondering why the new float valves failed. I spent a lot of time adjusting the float height and am sure I had it right and there are no leaks in the floats. The float bowls were immaculately clean and I also installed an in-line fuel filter.

Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Son of Pappy

Re: Crankcase full of gasoline
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:31:59 AM »
Well, you flushed the case really good.  I'd add the oil and see if everything spins freely, pull the plug/s, hit the button and listen.  You could also spin the tire while in gear with the plugs pulled.  Double check the float valve, may have a bit of something that isn't allowing a tight seal.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 12:35:02 PM »
I put some fresh oil in and so far so good. It will idle and rev normally again with no unusual sounds.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline feelergaugephil

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 11:46:54 PM »
Gravity feed is a lot stronger than what you think, the older GS range were bad about leaking petcocks causing a vapor lock and bending cranks/valves....
I ALWAYS put an in line on/off switch in the main fuel line on the older bikes, just turn it off when your finished riding it and it will never leak again.........
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue