Author Topic: Clutch Adjustment Question  (Read 17019 times)

Offline C14-Pilot

• Riding Pushmountain Road In Arkansas
Clutch Adjustment Question
« on: August 06, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »
Guys,

Is there anyway to adjust the clutch on the c14 other than bleeding the line.
I have tried bleeding the line and that doesn't seem to change things at all.

My clutch doesn't engage until the lever is about 80% to the handle bar or starts dis-engaing about 20% out from the handle bar.
The lever adjustment is in the 1 position which is the most aggressive position.

Any suggestions appreciated!

later,
C-14 Pilot
2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1980 Yamaha 650 Maxim,1977 Kawasaki KZ 400 Deluxe II,1973 Honda 250 Elsinore

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Clutch Adjustment Question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »
Other than adjusting the lever, no.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 06:22:35 PM »
As Jim said, there is not an adjustment on this clutch. The clutch is painfully difficult to bleed though so it is entirely possible there is still air in the system even after pushing a pint of brake fluid through it.

Also, take off the clutch lever and clean and lube the pivot points and the sides of the lever where they move inside the lever housing. The pivots tend to get dry and act very poorly without ever being noticed by the rider.

If it isn't one of the above, it is probably time for the master cylinder, the slave cylinder or both to be inspected. My slave cylinder was replaced under warranty when it began to act erratically but I do not remember the mileage on the bike at the time. It was fairly high though, maybe 40K miles.

Brian

Guys,

My clutch doesn't engage until the lever is about 80% to the handle bar or starts dis-engaing about 20% out from the handle bar.
The lever adjustment is in the 1 position which is the most aggressive position.

later,
C-14 Pilot
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Stavee

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 07:44:08 AM »
Bleeding the clutch is a royal pain. There is a considerable amount of air that gets trapped at the banjo fitting of the master cylinder. The only way to remove the air is to break it loose and bleed the banjo fitting. I had the master replaced under warranty. I had some 50k on the bike at that time.
First bike '38 DKW

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 11:42:47 AM »
I've flushed mine multiple times without issue.  It get's to be a bear if the lines are new or you are replacing components, however.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 04:28:27 PM »
the trick is to crack the bleeder during the stroke and close it before the end of the stroke. the process will be a quick bleeder crack a few times, and longer the system will take in air. hope this helps.

Joel

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 05:11:55 PM »
the trick is to crack the bleeder during the stroke and close it before the end of the stroke. the process will be a quick bleeder crack a few times, and longer the system will take in air. hope this helps.

Joel

^^^^^trick to bleeding anything right there.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 08:00:32 PM »
Now that everyone has addressed the "how to bleed" question, let's save him the trouble.  I  think the clutch engagement is not related to it needing bleeding.  I could be wrong, but I think the issue is common.  Mine is the same way.  I got used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 10:05:45 PM »
My bleeding trick is the $10 Motion Pro bleeder, as simple one-way valve and two lengths of hose that you slip on the  bleeder nipple. Just open the nipple and pump away. Refilling after replacing my front brake lines was a 5 minute job, same for the clutch.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 05:11:43 AM »
Guys,

later,
C-14 Pilot

My clutch acted the same way that yours did when I came back from a two week vacation. I got on the bike and went to take off and was startled when the clutch engaged almost right away. I stopped and tried it again and got the same thing. By the time I got to work it was back to normal. I don't know what was going on with it but I'll be replacing the fluid and bleeding the system as part of my winterization this year.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »
My clutch acted the same way that yours did when I came back from a two week vacation. I got on the bike and went to take off and was startled when the clutch engaged almost right away. I stopped and tried it again and got the same thing. By the time I got to work it was back to normal. I don't know what was going on with it but I'll be replacing the fluid and bleeding the system as part of my winterization this year.

Mine has done that twice now, but in both cases, it didn't repeat itself (each event was months apart).  Changing the fluid is still on the todo list, but just slipped down the list a little more.

Now I always try the clutch a couple times first thing in the morning, before putting it into gear.  Maybe that's why it hasn't done it since?
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »

My friends bike does the same thing.  We bled it three times over about a month.  Each time we bled the system the clutch would return to normal for a period of time.  Yesterday, we replaced the seals and spring in the slave and then bled again.  If it continues to happen I think our next thing will be to rebuild/replace the master.
T.S.R.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 06:02:43 PM »
Is there any commonnallity between the machines such as mileage?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »
Color of the bikes?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 07:11:12 PM »
Fastest color can't have a bad clutch.

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 08:08:02 PM »

Mine has done that twice now, but in both cases, it didn't repeat itself (each event was months apart).  Changing the fluid is still on the todo list, but just slipped down the list a little more.

Now I always try the clutch a couple times first thing in the morning, before putting it into gear.  Maybe that's why it hasn't done it since?

My cold start-clutch, in-first gear start- when done has noticeable clutch drag, but at operating temperatures its great and I haven't given it another thought. Maybe I should.

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 07:15:23 AM »
My friends bike does the same thing.  We bled it three times over about a month.  Each time we bled the system the clutch would return to normal for a period of time.  Yesterday, we replaced the seals and spring in the slave and then bled again.  If it continues to happen I think our next thing will be to rebuild/replace the master.

That's just great, I sure hope that mine doesn't act up again.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 07:16:11 AM »
Fastest color can't have a bad clutch.

That's right, I'm sure that my issue was just a fluke.    :o

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 11:47:10 AM »
As far as mileage, my friend Steve has an 08 that he picked up with just over 2k on the clock.  It has 14 on it now.  We are hoping that the issue was the slave and was a result of sitting for so long.  Time will tell.
T.S.R.

Offline Fretka

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 01:14:09 PM »
Actually I believe you can change the release point by adjusting the locknut found on the actuator rod that connects the lever to the piston, (under the rubber bellows).
Most assy's are adjustable but I have not pulled mine to check to see if this particular model does.
Both brake and clutch are the same build design. If you wanted to try you should be aware that no shop or manufacturer would approve you doing this as getting it wrong will easily lock-up your brakes or render your clutch un-useable.

If you do this: A LITTLE ADJUSTMENT GOES A LONG WAY.........Be careful.

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14