Author Topic: Digital display issues!  (Read 15176 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Digital display issues!
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 04:38:36 PM »
Yeah, I agree, and the dealer prolly has no clue... it would be stored in the ECU as the gage cluter is just a readout....not a memory storage unit..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline ZXShan, 2015 C14 ABS

• 2015 C14 ABS
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 04:49:44 PM »
I thought that it was a bit odd that they told me the mileage would start at zero with the new display but the guy seems to think that is how it is. I guess I will find out soon.
Quote: "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
-Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 04:55:39 PM »
Yeah, that's what happens when the cluster is removed unfortunately.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 06:38:48 PM »
Yeah, that's what happens when the cluster is removed unfortunately.

again, I disagree.... the gage cluster does not store info...as far as i can tell..
tests of function pertaining to odometer, fuel level, miles, trip meter, and speedo, all require installing an adapter (Canbus) to test function of the Display, and the display only...
refer to FSM section 16
specifically section 16-80 were it specifies the test parameters, and also which require input from ECU...
tests #11 and above, require the cluster to be plugged in, and adapter used...
page 16-85 outlines the can adapter install
page 16-91 outlines speedo, odo, and trip meters...

you could disconnect the gage cluster, and also get data on fuel usage, odo, and trip, directly with the KDS3...

there are notes in the testing of those functions in the "normal" manner, that the odo, and related functions Cannot be manually reset to zero during those tests...

just sharing...

Now, I would actually, if it were MY bike, unplug all the connections from the ECU, and re plug them all back in... and see what happens... a bad or marginal connection in the CAN circuits would impact the functions..
But with what his display is showing, Im thinking there is a bad pwb in that cluster, with either a short. or moisture. because its trying to invoke multiple functions simultaneously on the screen.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:24:44 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 07:43:16 PM »
That's interesting. I've seen used ECU's for sale before, but never a mention of its mileage.

Then again, if mileage was stored in the gauge cluster, you'd think used clusters would mention mileage.

That's it ... I've decided it's actually stored in the cloud.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 02:13:45 AM »
That's interesting. I've seen used ECU's for sale before, but never a mention of its mileage.

Then again, if mileage was stored in the gauge cluster, you'd think used clusters would mention mileage.

Very good point.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 02:42:32 AM »

That's it ... I've decided it's actually stored in the cloud.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 04:16:07 AM »
Right.   Well, I guess we'll find out when it gets replaced on the Odo function going to 0.  I'm looking at the manual but all it says is that the integrated value of the odometer cannot be reset.  Thiis is in the gauge section.  Why would they put that warning in for replacing the screen if the mileage was stored in the ECU?  There are electronics in that head unit.  Also, there's nothing in the ECU section that warns about the Odo function.  I'm still thinking it's stored in the head unit.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 05:06:33 AM »
again, I disagree.... the gage cluster does not store info...as far as i can tell..
tests of function pertaining to odometer, fuel level, miles, trip meter, and speedo, all require installing an adapter (Canbus) to test function of the Display, and the display only...
refer to FSM section 16
specifically section 16-80 were it specifies the test parameters, and also which require input from ECU...

you could disconnect the gage cluster, and also get data on fuel usage, odo, and trip, directly with the KDS3...

there are notes in the testing of those functions in the "normal" manner, that the odo, and related functions Cannot be manually reset to zero during those tests...

just sharing...

Now, I would actually, if it were MY bike, unplug all the connections from the ECU, and re plug them all back in... and see what happens... a bad or marginal connection in the CAN circuits would impact the functions..
But with what his display is showing, Im thinking there is a bad pwb in that cluster, with either a short. or moisture. because its trying to invoke multiple functions simultaneously on the screen.

We've had only a few members (that I can remember) who have had to have their gauge clusters replaced for one reason or the other (as far as I recall it was most always for melted needles) and the clusters have always started out with zero mileage.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2016, 07:55:25 AM »
  My 09 does the exact same thing for over 3 yrs. It ONLY happens when sitting in the hot summer sun and shinning  directly on the cluster.
After I ride it a bit (less the 3 miles) it clears itself up (probably get cooled from the movement of the air.)
I now just lay my riding gloves over the cluster, no issues when covered.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline chap

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2016, 09:04:14 AM »
refer to FSM section 16

just sharing...

The cluster is where the ODO is stored. I have had my cluster replaced. It started back at Zero. I reinstalled the original for pics and its mileage popped up. The reason for my change was to change from MPH to KPH. So both clusters are working properly. This is on a 2010 ABS US Market bike.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 09:41:51 AM »
  My 09 does the exact same thing for over 3 yrs. It ONLY happens when sitting in the hot summer sun and shinning  directly on the cluster.
After I ride it a bit (less the 3 miles) it clears itself up (probably get cooled from the movement of the air.)
I now just lay my riding gloves over the cluster, no issues when covered.

Cheers
Ron

Did you look at the pics in post 1. This is not the sun fading issue.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2016, 09:58:09 AM »
Did you look at the pics in post 1. This is not the sun fading issue.

I sure did Conrad, I never mentioned "fading"
  I get some of my digits missing and just not legible. As I noted it happens whenever I leave it in direct sunlight.  Ambit temp are not really a factor to a point. In the winter it happens too, but less that the summer. 
Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2016, 10:09:35 AM »
I sure did Conrad,
  I get some of my digits missing and just not legible. As I noted it happens whenever I leave it in direct sunlight. Ay high ambit temps. 
Cheers
Ron

My display fades when the sun shines on it for too long but it's the entire display, not just some of the digits.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »
I just went out to remove the gloves over the display. And took a pic.
When I go back this afternoon, my digits will be jumbled up.
I'll take before and after picture,

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2016, 10:35:12 AM »
I see a lot of for sale pics of bikes, just 1 picture from a poor angle, with poor lighting. Not a make, a model, a year, miles, mod list, maintenance etc.  Always very young guys.  It's kind of a pet peeve of mine. OK, fine, it totally pisses me off.

Unrelated to the OP, sorry for the hicjack, move along, nothing to see here.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2016, 10:54:19 AM »
My display fades when the sun shines on it for too long but it's the entire display, not just some of the digits.

You sure it isn't your eyes, ol feller?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2016, 11:22:13 AM »
You sure it isn't your eyes, ol feller?

It's hard to tell sometimes...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2016, 11:47:29 AM »

The cluster is where the ODO is stored. I have had my cluster replaced. It started back at Zero. I reinstalled the original for pics and its mileage popped up. The reason for my change was to change from MPH to KPH. So both clusters are working properly. This is on a 2010 ABS US Market bike.

Well, then I am wrong....
I will ask one thing tho, when you installed the new unit, and it registered zero, what occured when you rode it a few miles? Did it correct itself to show the additional miles? 
Just curious.  Id also be curious to plug in a KDS3 to the bike after say, 10 miles on the new gages, and see what was stored in the data file onboard...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2016, 03:20:01 PM »
That would be really annoying to not have the correct mileage.  I suppose it isn't the end of the world though... and the alternative (an incorrectly working display) is much worse.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc