Author Topic: Good brake pad change video out there?  (Read 118421 times)

wcgreen

Good brake pad change video out there?
« on: February 28, 2016, 08:37:49 AM »
I would love to just buy Fred's set, and will in the fall, but funds for grad school are going to be super tight till August... like $100 extra a month after pinching every penny.  Any decent vids on youtube for changing the pads out on the C14 that you have seen?  Good for a 100% newbie doing his first change?  Changed front tire this weekend, but told I need brakes... gonna try to inspect that right front site today... I have NEVER done brakes before, and will have to purchase torque wrench and tools, but need to find what folks consider a good video on C14 brakes.  I don't even have a garage... just parking deck, but I need to do this myself.  Bike only has 14k on it, so I was surprised to hear it needs pads and I know the dealer here will want a fortune.
Billy
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:36:39 AM by wcgreen »

Offline clogan

Re: Good brake pad change video out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 07:59:11 PM »
Very easy job...five minutes, tops. You can probably find a YouTube on it. But if you have never changed brakes on anything automotive, well maybe it would seem a bit daunting. Do you have a riding buddy who can guide you? I have used EBC pads, and like them. OEM pads also seem highly regarded. After changing your pads, you will want to "bed" tem, by making a series do hard stops...from twenty to zero, then thirty mph, then forty a few times. After several of these hard stops, the new pads will have become bedded, or acclimated to your rotors.

14,000 miles might be a bit earlier than typical for new frot pads, but not much. I'd suspect rear pads to be OK, but you should check to be sure. My original equipment rears are still good at 30,000.

Be sure to buy quality hex head sockets. Your work will be go better.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 09:23:51 PM »
My Connie has 40,000 miles on it, and the brakes are like new.
The grass isn't always greener.

wcgreen

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 10:17:53 PM »
Yeah... 14K and the right front pads are deep into the indicator.  Still a little on the left.  Rear are fine.  Sooooooo, gotta replace the front.

wcgreen

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 10:20:05 PM »
Very easy job...five minutes, tops. You can probably find a YouTube on it. But if you have never changed brakes on anything automotive, well maybe it would seem a bit daunting. Do you have a riding buddy who can guide you? I have used EBC pads, and like them. OEM pads also seem highly regarded. After changing your pads, you will want to "bed" tem, by making a series do hard stops...from twenty to zero, then thirty mph, then forty a few times. After several of these hard stops, the new pads will have become bedded, or acclimated to your rotors.

14,000 miles might be a bit earlier than typical for new frot pads, but not much. I'd suspect rear pads to be OK, but you should check to be sure. My original equipment rears are still good at 30,000.

Be sure to buy quality hex head sockets. Your work will be go better.

Thanks!  Will do!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 04:08:16 AM »
Clean the calipers as best you can with a toothbrush or some thing to get the dust off.  You don't want to push the pistons in unless you clean around them first.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

wcgreen

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 10:13:51 AM »
Clean the calipers as best you can with a toothbrush or some thing to get the dust off.  You don't want to push the pistons in unless you clean around them first.

Thanks! Will do!  Probably go with the OEM pads... not sure... When it lists the price of aftermarket brands online... is that for sets for the front? Both sides?

wcgreen

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 11:09:34 PM »
So, apparently, you need two sets of pads for the front... one for each rotor?  The right side is low, but the left side is not into the wear indicator yet.. do folks just change one side, or if one side is low, you always change out both sides anyway?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:59:26 AM »
Change them all out..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 07:27:08 AM »

wcgreen

wcgreen

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 09:34:32 AM »
Change them all out..
Thanks... Cha-ching! $$