Author Topic: rear tire mileage comparo  (Read 17417 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
rear tire mileage comparo
« on: May 11, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »
My last three rear tires
Michilen        PR4 190/50 6781
Bridgesone   T30 190/50 6867
Bridgestone T30GT 190/55 5967

I am pretty surprised that the regular T30 lasted 900 more than the GT. I am wondering if the 55 profile made the difference.
I am going to review my riding for the two tires and try to figure out if there were any other factors at play.

I should mention that the PR4 saw about 5000 two up riding, the T30s none so the PR4 is still the mileage champ.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: rear tire mileage comparo
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 06:54:58 PM »
I usually get between 6k and 7k from a PR4.  This last one saw mostly freeway trips with very little stopping and starting and had 10k when I replaced it, with a bit of tread still on it.  I was baffled riding style made such a difference.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 06:29:12 AM »
I can see where riding style could make a big difference. But In my case my riding style did not change for the two T30s. The non-gt 50 saw a trip to Wichita, the gt 55 saw a trip to Big Bend. The rest was mixed local twisties and commuting. The only factor that stands out is 50 vs 55. I have to conclude that the taller profile probably where more quickly
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

voileauciel

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:50:53 AM »
OEM - BT021 - 4,370
1st Angel GT 190/50 - 9,919
2nd Angel GT 190/50 - 9,501
3rd Angel GT 190/50 A-Spec - 11,288
4th Angel GT 190/50 A-Spec - 7,356 (Sides wore out before the middle, this is what happens when you move to California from New Jersey... :P)
5th Angel GT 190/50 - 5100 miles and counting.  8)

Offline PH14

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 08:45:10 PM »
My last three rear tires
Michilen        PR4 190/50 6781
Bridgesone   T30 190/50 6867
Bridgestone T30GT 190/55 5967

I am pretty surprised that the regular T30 lasted 900 more than the GT. I am wondering if the 55 profile made the difference.
I am going to review my riding for the two tires and try to figure out if there were any other factors at play.

I should mention that the PR4 saw about 5000 two up riding, the T30s none so the PR4 is still the mileage champ.

OEM Bridgestone: 10,200 miles
Others: I really cannot remember but I know the Angel was less than that. The PR3 may have been close.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 04:17:02 AM »
That's pretty darn good on a BT.  I think I only got about 8500 miles on my original tire.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:30:55 AM »
That's pretty darn good on a BT.  I think I only got about 8500 miles on my original tire.

I did a lot of long distance highway riding with that one since I was riding between Pennsylvania and Iowa a lot. As Steve said, that makes a big difference. The Angel was used more on the twisty roads of Western PA and West Virginia.

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 09:41:11 PM »
Risking the chance of being accused of riding like "your sister"   

I currently have 12,350ish on a set of PR2s spooned on a year ago.
Gonna replace due to a trip coming up and would rather not think about it.
Last set I pushed to 17,000. Once the plug started leaking, time to go.
I feel that close tabs on tire pressure can seriously extend the life of the tire.  8)
Unless they just suck from the beginning.  :P

I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:54:33 PM »
I can also get 17-20k on PR2's, but have PR4's now because they stopped making 55 profile PR2's. Must be I ride like yo momma.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:30:07 PM »
Me too- I must ride like Mary Jane Tinklepants 'cause I got 16K miles out of three sets of PR2's and all were removed with enough tread on them to be legal though not much more. I believe I got 9,300 miles from the stock Brickstones.

Not sure if it is the riding style, the local roads, the variation in temperature (riders in the southern US, where it is quite a it hotter, seem to get less mileage but that is only an observation) or what but the mileage we get on this bike varies a lot from rider to rider.

Brian

Risking the chance of being accused of riding like "your sister"   

I currently have 12,350ish on a set of PR2s spooned on a year ago.
Gonna replace due to a trip coming up and would rather not think about it.
Last set I pushed to 17,000. Once the plug started leaking, time to go.
I feel that close tabs on tire pressure can seriously extend the life of the tire.  8)
Unless they just suck from the beginning.  :P
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 03:19:51 AM »
You guys and your tires slay me. :rotflmao:

If I get 5,000 miles out of a tire, I'm lucky.
I bought a Conti Motion from my dealer on Thursday, and got a free replacement on Tuesday. Just destroyed that thing. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 03:41:16 AM »

What about the fronts?  This is the first bike I've ever owned that ate the front tire before the rear needed replacing.  Can you provide a ratio of how many front to rear (or vice versa) replacements you've experienced?

On my second set of tires now, PR3s, which currently have about 7k on them, and are holding up alright.  The front is definitely worn more than the rear.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 04:22:40 AM »
You guys and your tires slay me. :rotflmao:

If I get 5,000 miles out of a tire, I'm lucky.
I bought a Conti Motion from my dealer on Thursday, and got a free replacement on Tuesday. Just destroyed that thing. ;)

Tire killer!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 04:55:00 AM »
What about the fronts?  This is the first bike I've ever owned that ate the front tire before the rear needed replacing.  Can you provide a ratio of how many front to rear (or vice versa) replacements you've experienced?

On my second set of tires now, PR3s, which currently have about 7k on them, and are holding up alright.  The front is definitely worn more than the rear.

You need to start a new thread as it's been a while since we've had two tire threads going at the same time.  :)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 07:35:09 AM »
My fronts wear a bit quicker too but not generally so much faster that it is worth putting only a new rear tire on the bike.

This is a heavy, powerful bike using conventional tires so I think it does pretty well regarding tire life. After all, the same size tires would fit a 600 cc bike and that would weight half as much. Really heavy motorcycles, such as Old Wings, use specific tires that are built very differently than traditional sport- touring tires to hold up to the loads.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 08:01:08 AM »
...This is a heavy, powerful bike using conventional tires so I think it does pretty well regarding tire life. After all, the same size tires would fit a 600 cc bike and that would weight half as much. Really heavy motorcycles, such as Old Wings, use specific tires that are built very differently than traditional sport- touring tires to hold up to the loads...

PR4's seem to be the favourite here.  I bought a set of the GT version because of the glowing recommendations here. Very Happy with them so far. Best bike tires I've owned.

I only got about 4000km on the OEM 'Stones, but they were replaced because of a nail, not excessive wear...

As far as admitting to being a "Tinkle pants" rider or not - thanks Brian - a great leap in taxonomy, the PR4GT on the back still looks great despite having 8000km - 5000 miles, but I suspect the epithet will eventually fit...   I commute to work more than I ride for pleasure, so about 3/4 of my miles are on the slab.  I'd see centre-line cordage before the sides ever wore out.  :-[

It'd be kind of neat to see some comparisons of the GT and non-GT versions of the tire.  Is there a difference (I mean anecdotal, not claimed) in the mileage between the two?

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 08:24:16 AM »
PR4's seem to be the favourite here.  I bought a set of the GT version because of the glowing recommendations here. Very Happy with them so far. Best bike tires I've owned.

I only got about 4000km on the OEM 'Stones, but they were replaced because of a nail, not excessive wear...

As far as admitting to being a "Tinkle pants" rider or not - thanks Brian - a great leap in taxonomy, the PR4GT on the back still looks great despite having 8000km - 5000 miles, but I suspect the epithet will eventually fit...   I commute to work more than I ride for pleasure, so about 3/4 of my miles are on the slab.  I'd see centre-line cordage before the sides ever wore out.  :-[

It'd be kind of neat to see some comparisons of the GT and non-GT versions of the tire.  Is there a difference (I mean anecdotal, not claimed) in the mileage between the two?

Jamie

A good friend has been through a lot of tires in his time (over 80K miles) on the C14.  His log shows about 1000 mile advantage to the GT vs. non GT. 
I got about 8500 from my PR4GTs.  Maybe could have got another 1000 on the rear, front still had good tread, but a bit chopped, so both went.  Now on T30GT's, with 2500 miles.  Wearing very nice.  They seem very even to the PR4GT to me.  I attribute the quicker, lighter handling feel to the 55 series rear that I didn't run in the PRs. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline JerBear

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 12:06:42 PM »

FWIW I have gone 3 Rears to 4 fronts in 27K and both are nearly new but the front has about 1.5K more on it than the rear.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 03:58:40 PM »

Thanks JerBear, that's what I'm looking for.

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 05:00:40 PM »
  I installed a Continental Road Attack 2 a few weeks back.  This thing grips like nothing I have ever ran. I have owned 4 Connie's.  But!!! I have about 3,500 on it and the wear pattern is showing up pretty quick.  I will be lucky to see 6,000 on the rear. I was really hoping to see more.  I really like this tire. But cost to much to replace ever 5,000 miles.