Author Topic: Brrrrr cool start this morning.  (Read 5759 times)

AlbertaDoug

Brrrrr cool start this morning.
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:04:07 AM »
Looks like it'll be a crisp ride this morning. Heading back to Calgary this morning after a week in the mountains.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Brrrrr cool start this morning.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
I actually miss that a little bit. Never thought I would. I recently moved from CO to Austin TX. I'm sure that if I were back in CO over the winter I would get over it. Missing the cold rides that is.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 07:17:04 AM »
I'm hoping my heated vest works today, couldn't get it working yesterday. Had to stop for coffee a few times yesterday morning. Check all connections last night, crossing fingers this morning. We have to travel over one more mountain pass yet. There's snow in them there mountains.

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:51:01 AM »
Wow..that is cool, we are definetly seeing some temps dip even in new england, but still at the 54 degrees i saw this morning nothing like yours!

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 09:06:55 AM »
With the winter we had last year, and the cool (well, let's face it, COLD) summer we've had this year, our friends to the south are going to start being right when they think of Canada as a snowy, wintery destination all the time.

We haven't actually had frost yet, but there have been some nights when our neighbour was worried about her garden...

:o

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »
My brother in Montana already had their first snow flurry's.

Offline tomp

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 04:56:54 PM »
Doug, you need to trade bikes with me.  It's an '08 and will keep your legs much warmer.   ;D

Rhino, Austin is a great place to live.  I remember riding to work and back a few times in the snow, there.  It was 1971.  I'm sure it's snowed there since then...
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline tomp

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 05:14:57 PM »
Cool pic Rhino.  As for my area, we are actually having a day below 90, tomorrow, but then back up for a few days.  Austin's weather may be a little better than here in the Houston area.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 08:05:30 PM »
Doug, you need to trade bikes with me.  It's an '08 and will keep your legs much warmer.   ;D

Rhino, Austin is a great place to live.  I remember riding to work and back a few times in the snow, there.  It was 1971.  I'm sure it's snowed there since then...
That's a good laugh but my toes would have liked the extra warmth, pretty sure with the wind they were exposed to at least -10. Best temp I seen today was 53 f  for two hrs then back into the low 40s rain and 37f . Love that windshield and heated vest :D

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 10:32:26 PM »
seriously, guys... °F?  :o
 ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline cmoore

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 05:08:24 AM »
Man, I hope we aren't in for another cold winter. Last year sucked.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 05:42:12 AM »
I commuted yesterday at 39 degrees. Just starting to think about layers. Jeans start sucking under 40 degrees.
Joel from Maine.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 06:18:21 AM »
While I was riding last week it seems Calgary received a bit of snow. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-snow-causes-major-power-outages-during-storm-1.2761664
Good timing on my trip to BC then  ;D

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 07:39:12 PM »
It was a ghastly 61 degrees here this morning. I had to wear a long sleaved t-shirt under my mesh jacket. BURRRRRR!!!.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline tomp

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 08:07:46 PM »
68 here this AM when I left.  Short sleeve and mesh jacket.  Little cool on the arms , but the engine heat kept the legs warm, and placing gloved hands on the top of the gas tank, as good as heated grips.  Texans don't do cold (for us) very well. 

The 14 sure is nice on long stretch highway runs.  85-90 is a sweet spot, for sure...

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »
It was a ghastly 61 degrees here this morning. I had to wear a long sleaved t-shirt under my mesh jacket. BURRRRRR!!!.

:D :finger_fing11:
Nice. Starting to think about buying a sled again. http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4444&group=SM&catId=86   It might not be warm soon but the smiles will still come with one of these.

Offline tomp

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »
1000cc, 5 valve, I4.  That thing is a monster.  Would love to ride one, but have two problems: 1) doesn't snow here, 2) $16K investment.  If you get one, have fun and post a pic(s) playing in the snow... tp

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 05:09:57 AM »

+1!    :_shudder_Emoticon
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 05:44:50 AM »
Ah, perspective..... I just got a new 4WD vehicle, finally got my snowblower tweaked so the cutting bar / bucket work correctly and have a new wood stove coming in a few weeks. I hope it is dozens, no, hundreds of degrees below zero F and we get snow by the furlong!

;D

We went up to Cow Hampshire last weekend and the temps. snuck up on both of us on the bike though. I did not bring my winter, heated gloves nor heated pants and the first day in the mountains (Thurs.) was downright painful riding. It was only in the 40's F but an hour of that at 70 + MPH will defeat even moderately warm clothes. Another typically incorrect answer to the question: How cold can it get on the second week of Sept.? It is tough packing bulky winter clothes but what is worse is not having them :-(

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 06:22:22 AM »
46 when i left my house this morning, i really was hoping it woudl warm up by the time i got to RI, but nooooo! it actually dropped to 44 when i rolled into the office parking garage!
Unlike some of you guys i pray for a warm winter, yes i have 3 cords of wood stacked, nice 4x4 truck ready and a snow blower, but i woudl rather be riding the bike to work then pumping diesel into the fuel donkey!