The C-14, aka Kawasaki Concours-14, the new one :) > Accessories and modifications - C14/GTR 1400

Automatic Battery Charger question

<< < (2/6) > >>

maxtog:

--- Quote from: basmntdweller on November 21, 2012, 08:30:05 AM ---I am guessing you meant 13.2V in the OP. 14.4V is too high for a long term storage type deal. Most battery tenders(over winter type) are in the 13.2-13.7 range. My understanding is 14.4V is slowly boiling off the acid in the battery.
--- End quote ---

It is likely it drops to a lower voltage (like 13.X) when it is in trickle charge mode (if the charger is automatic).  The voltage HAS to be a bit higher than 12.6, or it will never charge the battery (a lead acid battery in good condition is at 12.6V at rest at a full charge).

Fortunately, it is EASY to tell.  Wait for it to be in maintenance/trickle mode, then pull apart the connector a bit (without breaking the circuit!), and connect a multimeter to the two slightly exposed contacts and read the voltage.

If it really much higher than 13.5V in trickle mode, it is probably not safe to use that charger for extended periods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_acid_battery

lather:
The green light comes on and the red light goes out indicating trickle or maintenance mode but the charging voltage is still 14.4. I left hooked up for 24 hours and still 14.4 I have an onboard voltmeter on the VFR connected directly to the battery. I think the charger is defective. I am going to contact customer service.

maxtog:

--- Quote from: lather on November 21, 2012, 04:11:00 PM ---The green light comes on and the red light goes out indicating trickle or maintenance mode but the charging voltage is still 14.4. I left hooked up for 24 hours and still 14.4 I have an onboard voltmeter on the VFR connected directly to the battery. I think the charger is defective. I am going to contact customer service.
--- End quote ---

Hmm, this makes me nervous about the one I just bought. Perhaps I should test mine too (Battery Tender Jr), just out of curiosity.

C1xRider:
The battery in the C14 should be the AGM type (Absorbent Glass Mat).  It is essentially a maintenance free battery in that once you fill it and give it the initial charge then seal it, you should never open it again.  If you over charge it, you will damage it (short answer).

The battery charge voltage is higher (14.x Volts) while the charge cycle is active.  Once the current to the battery drops below a minimum amount, the charger should shut off, and start  monitoring the battery.  Then if / when it drops below a 'maintenance level' (12.8V for AGM, typ.), start another recharge cycle.

Most of the "trickle chargers" out there will overcharge the battery if left on for too long (the ones that charge at 13.x Volts).  They try to maintain a fixed voltage, which varies depending on the type of charger.  The $5 (on sale) Harbor Freight trickle chargers try to maintain 12.65 to 12.75 Volts.  They will actually bring down a AGM battery, since it wants to be at a higher resting voltage (12.8V), and the newest packaging on them states "Not for use with AGM batteries".

The Battery Tender Jr. uses the charge, monitor, recharge method.  I have 2 of them in use, and would recommend them for your C14.

MGvaleri:
For information: the motorcycle battery to 11.4 volts the c14 starts without problems.

MGval 8)erio.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version