Author Topic: Just switched to synthetic oil over the weekend....  (Read 8234 times)

Offline Mister Tee

Just switched to synthetic oil over the weekend....
« on: June 21, 2011, 08:14:25 AM »
Okay, yes, I know it's an oil thread, but I didn't really intend to get in to the whole mineral vs. synthetic debate since the topic has been discussed millions of times.  But in fairness it hasn't had a chance to be fully beaten to death on the new board.

... aaaaaand my mileage did increase, noticeably, without a change in riding habits or fuel source.  It will take some time to quantify how much.  Both the average MPG on the display increased and the calculated mileage increased on the last tank.  And for you haters out there, the bright green color of the Motul 300V just looks SO COOL in the site window!

Sofa King

Re: Just switched to synthetic oil over the weekend....
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »
Okay, yes, I know it's an oil thread, but I didn't really intend to get in to the whole mineral vs. synthetic debate since the topic has been discussed millions of times.  But in fairness it hasn't had a chance to be fully beaten to death on the new board.

... aaaaaand my mileage did increase, noticeably, without a change in riding habits or fuel source.  It will take some time to quantify how much.  Both the average MPG on the display increased and the calculated mileage increased on the last tank.  And for you haters out there, the bright green color of the Motul 300V just looks SO COOL in the site window!

Increased by how much?

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:14:31 AM »
Again, I think it's too soon to quantify but I've been consistently running 44.7 on the average MPG and between 40 and 42 measured the last couple weeks.  I'm now at 45.0 mpg and my last tank was 44 measured.  I'll have to go through a few tanks to verify an increased mileage trend, and by how much.

In other vehicles I've owned, a switch to synthetic has yielded an increase of between zero and 5% better mileage.  Big truck engines don't seem to benefit.  Motorcycle and small car engines do.

Offline Wild_Bill

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:24:08 PM »
... aaaaaand my mileage did increase, noticeably

and so did the cost of oil changes

Bill
Formerly known as Badnews_Bill

Offline firetruck41

• No pictures means No Posting
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:02:10 PM »
that is something that you will not be able to notice. you would have to run it in a control atmosphere, control throttle, to measure any diff. so just think of synthetic oil as being a little bit tougher, you will never have to explain any further.
2011 connie. silver
corbin seat on order
motorcycle larry lowers.murphys risers
Givi E55 mono-key. passenger peg lowers

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 01:11:54 PM »
oil thread...  :popcorn:

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 01:26:16 PM »
I started using Mobil 1 full synthetic from day 1. Cost me $40 bucks to get 4 quarts ! Ouch! Plus cost of filter (NAPA PS1358).
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 01:41:17 PM »

Bill

No doubt - I won't break even sticking with 5,000 mile intervals I've been doing but it would be close.  If I doubled that, or even went with the factory recommended 7,500 miles, I'd be ahead.

But that's not why I run it, I just want tougher oil so the argument is moot.

Offline mtn.connie

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 03:06:11 PM »
Two words....Golden Spectro synth blend. love that sh&^!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 03:59:51 PM »
I started using Mobil 1 full synthetic from day 1. Cost me $40 bucks to get 4 quarts ! Ouch! Plus cost of filter (NAPA PS1358).

But Connie takes 4.7 quarts.    :P
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rudy

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 04:14:06 PM »
But the engine is so much quieter with synthetic.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 08:58:31 AM »
But Connie takes 4.7 quarts.    :P

hmmmm...... 4 quarts shows oil level at the upper bar of the oil window. Ran the bike for a few and same deal. I will check again.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 09:43:53 AM »

So you've posted before about finding the cheapest decent helmet, emphasis on the price, but then you drop $40 on oil? Nothing wrong with the synthetics, but their overall value is hard to pinpoint especially on a vehicle where oil changes are relatively frequent.

I'd spend less on boutique oil and spend more on helmets.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 09:49:04 AM »

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »
Motul 300V --- Double Diester oil.  Nothing but the best -- did it smell like bananas?
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:42 PM »

Technically no, since synthetic oil has a far longer life than dino oil.  You pay much more for the oil, but can cut your oil changes in half (and I have verified that as normal practice by several mechanics, two of each are shop head-technicians).

I use Mobil 1 in all my vehicles after breakin.  Have done so for as long as Mobil 1 has been available on the consumer market.  I think it is really good stuff.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 11:53:19 AM »
Motul 300V --- Double Diester oil.  Nothing but the best -- did it smell like bananas?

Mmmmm tastes like it too!

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 04:33:27 PM »
I put MOTUL V300 DOUBLE ESTER 10/40 to my connie and i own a 1999 Nissan Patfinder with 150.000 Miles and changed oil only 15  times with synthetic oil , it don't burns any oil and there are no sings of sludge, I'm too lazy to change oil's every 3000 miles
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline booger

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 06:37:31 PM »
It now runs smoother, faster, the women love you and it lowered your monthly payment.

You just can't beat synthetics ;D

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 08:20:33 AM »
But what about your oil filter? You run your oil twice as long but is your filter going to do it's job all that time. Oil, if kept changed on a  regular time frame will do it's job, I had over 108,000 miles on my 92 GoldWing with Castrol 20/50 automotive oil and never had a problem. The cost of synthetic is 2 to 3 times higher than regular oil. And II see no advantage in it. I did run it in my 2002 Gold Wing and never noticed a difference except that it cost more. In my 08 Wing I ran Honda oil and the mileage and sound was the same as my 02.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once