Author Topic: ~ 3 - 4 k RPM Fairing Noise -- Torqued the fairing screws -- Noise is gone  (Read 3652 times)

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Was outside adjusting the rear brake level to better match Murphs lower rider pegs (Thanks 556ALPHA) and while doing a fast (without helmet) drive noticed some vibration related noises in the fairing at about 3 - 4 k RPM.

I had hand tightened the front end plastic some weeks ago and knew none of them were falling out loose, but today I could not find any specific torque value in the Kawasaki 2008 service manual.

So I pulled out an inch pound dial torque wrench and checked all the screws to find out what the break loose torque was.

Most seem to be under 2.5 inch pounds and some (near the mirrors) did not turn up over 25 in pounds.

So I left the 25 in pounds screws alone and went over all the low values and torque them to ~ 5 inch pounds torque.

Did another quick helmet less ride and ... no more front end noise (should have done a video of before and after LOL ,, not really)

QUESTIONs:

1. Can someone point me to the torque values listed by OEM for the screws that hold the plastic / fairing on?

2. Even with a Snap On dial inch pound torque wrench many of the fairing / plastic body part holding screws feel weak, does anyone know the failure torque point on such screws? (I assume the plastic fails not the metal screw .. so to be clear the torque that causes the plastic to crack or plastic to strip out)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:07:30 PM by CrashKLRtoConnie »
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

FYI .. Went to a party .. had a few beers  .. my first 50 miles 2 up with the dynaplugs in place.

So far no leak. fingers crossed

So ...

So no one has a torque value??

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
Glad the noise is gone.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

UPDATE

So after an hour on the net found no clear answer, but my guess of about 5 in lbs is likely too low but far away from damage levels ...

Below is some of what information I gathered...
 ???

Quagmire (zxforums)

Most all of your fairing bolts are captured by "Well-nuts", which are aluminum, mild steel or brass inserts surrounded by a rubber housing. You will not get an accurate torque spec on those. You will either strip the threads or pull the inner sleeve right out of the rubber casing.

GM Car Forum

Interior Body/Trim           87-91 in lbs
Dash panel fasteners          27 in lbs
Glove compartment fasteners    17 in lbs
Trim panel fasteners       17 in lbs

KAW C14 SERVICE MANUAL

(similar type torque limits)

Starter Lockout Switch Screw 6.2 in·lb L
Brake Reservoir Screw 12 in·lb L
Front Brake Reservoir Cap Screws 13 in·lb
Front Fender Cover Screws 11 in·lb
Upper Fairing Bracket Nuts 18 ft-lbs
Front Brake Light Switch Screw 11 in·lb
Front Turn Signal Light Mounting Screws 11 in·lb
License Plate Light Cover Mounting Screws 8 in·lb
License Plate Light Mounting Screws 11 in·lb
Starter Lockout Switch Screw 6 in·lb L
Tail Light Cover Bracket Bolts 11 in·lb
Tail Light Screws 11 in·lb
Upper Fairing Damper Bracket Screws 11 in·lb

Basic Torque for General Fasteners (Service Manual)

Threads Torque (my guess is for standard metal to metal thread fasteners)

diameter (mm)    N·m       kgf·m          ft·lb

5           3.4 ∼ 4.9    0.35 ∼ 0.50       30 ∼ 43 in·lb
6          .9 ∼ 7.8   0.60 ∼ 0.80       52 ∼ 69 in·lb

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:40:54 PM by CrashKLRtoConnie »

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
sorry, nothing to add to what you wrote, but wanted to thank you for that info. Seems pretty useful for me.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
If a tail light screw takes 11in lbs, then certainly the fairing screws need more than 5 in lbs.

I would say at least tighten them up to 11 in lbs.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

If a tail light screw takes 11in lbs, then certainly the fairing screws need more than 5 in lbs.

I would say at least tighten them up to 11 in lbs.

You may be right. However, even with the snap on dial torque (0 - 150 in lbs) wrench the feel I get .. suggests (gummy - weak) on the fairing screws even at 5 in lbs.

Likely I will re-look at the torque when I pull the covers off for radiator fluid service in a few weeks.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Does anyone know if any of the fairing screws use rubber well nuts?  If so, that would explain the "gummy - weak" feel when tightening them.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Installed a new to me CB Ultra Tour and noise is back ... wonder if new larger wind shield could be the cause ... or my new to me CB UT is so much more quiet ...

likely the new fairing or my fairing screw 5 in lb tightening had no effect ...... on the noise (correlation does not mean cause and effect)  :P

The sound is repeatable in different gears (different speeds) and is more a brief (second or so) high pitch shriek sound (than a vibration that is felt) that occurs at about 3,200 - 3,600 RPM ......

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Does anyone know if any of the fairing screws use rubber well nuts?  If so, that would explain the "gummy - weak" feel when tightening them.

Any fairing screw that has that 'gummy' feel most likely has a rubber well nut.  Most of them are this way.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.