Author Topic: Where's my hover board?  (Read 4306 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Where's my hover board?
« on: October 21, 2015, 10:19:55 AM »
Today, October 21, 2015 is the day that Doc and Marty went back to the future in the famous movie. No flying cars, no self drying jackets, no Mr. Fusion and NO HOVER BOARDS!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Where's my hover board?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 11:13:15 AM »
Darn shame about that..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 08:22:58 PM »
Where's my lazer-guided gyro-stabilized atomic powered flying car?

Why are we not living on the Moon colonies and vacationing on Mars?

I am still waiting for the undersea dome habitats I was promised.

I looked in my gun safe and didn't find the laser pistol that Popular Mechanics said we'd all have.

Why can't I watch movies in the 3-D surround holographic projection they said we'd have forty years ago?

Too many cool things went by the wayside while we developed...well....this.

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 04:15:17 AM »
Most of us carry hand held computers these days.. Small drones with cameras are becoming ubiquitous.  We can connect to networks without wires.  Electric cars are finally beginning to appear that have a decent range.  Charging stations are easier to find.  Cars that drive themselves are becoming a reality.  Flying large aircraft without pilots is ramping up.  Hydrogen fueled vehicles are on the horizon.  We listen to radios that play music from a satellite.  We navigate from satellites.  I can go on....

Technology is changing the world as we knew it but it's slow and sometimes not apparent to the naked eye.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 04:43:31 AM »
Most of us carry hand held computers these days.. Small drones with cameras are becoming ubiquitous.  We can connect to networks without wires.  Electric cars are finally beginning to appear that have a decent range.  Charging stations are easier to find.  Cars that drive themselves are becoming a reality.  Flying large aircraft without pilots is ramping up.  Hydrogen fueled vehicles are on the horizon.  We listen to radios that play music from a satellite.  We navigate from satellites.  I can go on....

Technology is changing the world as we knew it but it's slow and sometimes not apparent to the naked eye.

All that and we still can't fix stupid.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 07:30:56 AM »
All that and we still can't fix stupid.

I think we have figured out how to mass produce it. :-\
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 08:22:21 AM »
Where's my lazer-guided gyro-stabilized atomic powered flying car?
Why are we not living on the Moon colonies and vacationing on Mars?
I am still waiting for the undersea dome habitats I was promised.
I looked in my gun safe and didn't find the laser pistol that Popular Mechanics said we'd all have.
Why can't I watch movies in the 3-D surround holographic projection they said we'd have forty years ago?
Too many cool things went by the wayside while we developed...well....this.

Though I guess it's disappointing that we don't have a few things that were speculated about, like flying cars, and light sabers, I'm kinda glad we don't have a few of the other things that some SF writers have 'predicted'...  I'd rather not live in the world of Mad Max.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like to live in the worlds described in Fahrenheit 451, 1984, or Clockwork Orange...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 12:04:03 PM »
Though I guess it's disappointing that we don't have a few things that were speculated about, like flying cars, and light sabers, I'm kinda glad we don't have a few of the other things that some SF writers have 'predicted'...  I'd rather not live in the world of Mad Max. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like to live in the worlds described in Fahrenheit 451, 1984, or Clockwork Orange...

Jamie
Two out of three ain't bad.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 01:58:37 PM »
You know, I've never watched Clockwork Orange....read the book but never saw the movie.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 12:46:38 PM »
You know, I've never watched Clockwork Orange....read the book but never saw the movie.

I'm an admitted SF-aholic, but I tend to like the books way more than the movies, with a few exceptions I guess...   To be honest, I haven't seen the Clockwork Orange movie either...

I just looked it up, and there was a '66 movie made from Fahrenheit 451 as well.  I'll need to check them both out.

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 01:22:10 PM »
I've seen 451.  Liked it.