Author Topic: Contemplating Purchase  (Read 5626 times)

Offline jeffc

Contemplating Purchase
« on: October 03, 2013, 01:31:14 PM »
I have a Vstrom 650 that has about 40k on it.  I love it but my wife would like a more comfortable rear seat.  We are close to retirement (56).  She sees the Goldwing rear seat and wants it.  I have not rode a sport touring bike or the Goldwing.  For you that have, how do you compare the Concours 14 with other sport touring bikes?   With the Goldwing?  Thanks for your comments!

Jeff
London KY
Jeff Connors
London KY

Offline RubiconMike

Re: Contemplating Purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »
C14 compared to other sport touring bikes: As good or better than most.

C14 compared to a Goldwing: If you're looking at rear seat comfort, not even in the same ballpark.

You won't find any sport-touring bike that rides as comfortable as a full-on touring bike. You have to find out just how comfortable your wife needs to be, and how often she will be riding with you.

I have a C14 because I usually ride by myself and want a comfortable sport bike, and one that my wife finds comfortable for occasional day rides. If my wife rode with me most of the time, and on longer rides, I'd definitely have a Goldwing.

Take your wife to a Honda/Kawasaki store and have her sit on both to see what she thinks. If the C14 is still a possibility, see if the dealer will let you test drive one with your wife on back.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 01:53:35 PM »
For the wife?  Goldwing all the way.  And the 'Wing is far sportier than most give it credit for.  The C14 is an extremely capable touring bike, but much heavier on the sport side of things.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 01:57:14 PM »
My wife rarely rides with me but if she did I would have a wing in a heartbeat.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 02:17:41 PM »
Now that she's seen the Goldwing rear seat with arm rests, its over. Nothing else will compare. Wing for two up rides, something more sporty for rides just by yourself.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »
Hopefully I will never be old enough to buy a Goldwing..

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »
Hopefully I will never be old enough to buy a Goldwing..

Die young, leave a good-looking corpse?

I just hope I'm never old enough to buy one of those weird three-wheel thingies....

Part of the attraction of a motorcycle is that it falls over if you don't do it right!  ;D

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »
 If the wife sits on the Goldwing, you'll have a Goldwing. By the way jeffc, I have relatives in London KY and lived there for a year when dad was in Vietnam. I was actually born in Corbin, but grew up here in VA.

Offline JJFLASH

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 07:38:48 PM »
I have a Vstrom 650 that has about 40k on it.  I love it but my wife would like a more comfortable rear seat.  We are close to retirement (56).  She sees the Goldwing rear seat and wants it.  I have not rode a sport touring bike or the Goldwing.  For you that have, how do you compare the Concours 14 with other sport touring bikes?   With the Goldwing?  Thanks for your comments!

Jeff
London KY

I traded a GL1800 in on a C14 this year.  I traded the Goldwing because my wife rides her own Ninja 1000 and doesn't ride on the back anymore.  If you are going to do more than 50% of your riding 2 up then pick the Goldwing.  The Goldwing handles surprisingly well, has great luggage and is more comfortable  Also, the Concours is tall and top heavy.  I found the Goldwing seat seemed lower and it has a lower center of gravity.  Something to consider when you are fully loaded two up.

One downside to the GL1800 is $$$$$$

You should be sure to get a test ride.  Both the C14 and GL are very different from you 650.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 05:41:14 AM »
 :offtopic:
jeffc and Jim M.
Do do remember Doc Adams?

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 05:58:22 AM »
My wife did not like the passenger accommodations on the Goldwing.  She said it didn't feel like riding on a motorcycle.  She preferred the Voyager XII, and the Voyager 1700 I replaced the XII with.  I didn't like the riding position of the Goldwing.  I do like the riding position of the new F6B and asked the dealer if the seat would fit on a wing, but he didn't want to find out.

As far as sport touring bikes go, the Concours is towards the sport end of the spectrum with the ST1300 more towards the touring end of the spectrum.  Look up some sport touring articles.  There have been quite a few in the past year or two.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 02:03:07 PM »
No gPink, can't say I do.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »
IMHO:
If she's riding with you a vast majority of the time (>80%), then you need a Gold Wing.
If she's riding with you only occasionally (<20%), go with the Connie.
Anywhere in between, then you need to look into one of each that are a few years old to make the cost more palatable. Or, teach her to ride something of her own.

I actually had an '87 GW Aspencade right off the showroom floor. Loved it even though I was only 30 years old. Wife rode with me almost all the time. It would comfortably gobble up the miles. Of course, I wasn't as adventurous as I am now and she won't ride with me at all.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline TJ

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 09:44:34 AM »
I have owned two Gold Wings, the last being a 2005. Great bikes but the 2005 lacked power and needs a 6th gear.
Sold the Wing to finally go to the Concours and love it. Since 2005 Honda has changed the styling of the Wing a little but nothing in the engine or trannie. Great bike for a lot of people but I like something with more power. Bought my 2005 in Ashland Kentucky and rode it back to Anchorage Alaska solo in 7 days.

However, if I were looking for a new fully loaded bike I would buy the BMW 1600 GTL. IMO it beats the Wing in just about every category. I ride by the local BMW dealership often and the thought of trading in my Concours is a constant internal battle.

As far as the comments about never wanting to get old enough to ride a Wing. All I can say is then never take one for a test ride or you will age overnight. Bought my first one when I was 31.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 06:45:23 AM »
My wife couldn't get comfortable on the back of my C14 till I lowered the passenger pegs a bit. Now she's happy.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 09:10:54 PM »
I have owned two Gold Wings, the last being a 2005. Great bikes but the 2005 lacked power and needs a 6th gear.
Sold the Wing to finally go to the Concours and love it. Since 2005 Honda has changed the styling of the Wing a little but nothing in the engine or trannie. Great bike for a lot of people but I like something with more power. Bought my 2005 in Ashland Kentucky and rode it back to Anchorage Alaska solo in 7 days.

However, if I were looking for a new fully loaded bike I would buy the BMW 1600 GTL. IMO it beats the Wing in just about every category. I ride by the local BMW dealership often and the thought of trading in my Concours is a constant internal battle.

As far as the comments about never wanting to get old enough to ride a Wing. All I can say is then never take one for a test ride or you will age overnight. Bought my first one when I was 31.
Every time I have taken one for a test ride, I drag parts in the first corner and it cures me of wanting it.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline TJ

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 10:42:42 PM »
There must be a reason you keep on taking one for a test ride:)
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours