Author Topic: Another one of those Top Case questions...  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Jrodizzle07

Another one of those Top Case questions...
« on: March 29, 2015, 11:07:19 PM »
Hey guys, so I'm looking into a top case, and a lot of questions have been answered on the forums... but... I understand the max load for the bars is going to limit you to around 20# no matter what box. I will be using the box mostly for sleeping bag, tent, etc nothing terribly heavy as I use lightweight stuff. My question is, I am leaning towards the Corbin, but the way it hangs past the rack kind of scares me. I end up on gravel roads from time to time and could just see a decent bump making that thing snap right off the back. I also love the looks of the Givi Trekker boxes (or even a pelican case for that matter), but they just seem to look out of place on the c14. Anyone that has used either of those, I would love to hear from you, I wish I could find some around town so I could see how sturdy they are. Thanks ahead of time, and sorry to bring up a dead horse and start beating it haha.
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Another one of those Top Case questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 03:52:19 AM »
Whatever topcase you decide on you need to replace the OEM pos plastic rack. Several good options to choose from.

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 04:43:45 AM »
Yea, I've looked at Phil's and a few other replacement racks. I guess after doing that they should all be pretty sturdy really.
Jarrod
Boone NC

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 06:26:48 AM »
I went with the Phil's rack with the mounting points built in for the monokey case.  The monokey case is much sturdier built than the monolock case.

Are you going to be touring two up or solo?  If solo, and going to ride dirt roads, why not get an adventure soft bag to strap across the passenger seat and rack.  Keep the CG more on the bike instead of hanging off the rear.

When I tour I can carry everything I need in the 3 cases.  When I camp, I use the passenger seat for my sleeping bag, tent, and thermo-rest.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 08:06:20 AM »
If you do some research here you will learn some negative things about the Corbin trunk such as cracking, paint problems and general fit. Also It is quite heavy. Almost any metal rack is stronger than the plastic grab-rails but I've not heard of anyone breaking a grab rail in normal use. I used to carry camping gear on my ST1100, if you go by yourself, you might consider stowing some of the weight forward of the rack over the passenger seat.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »
Pretty much any touring I do is 1 up. What I have been doing is securing a duffel or dry bag across the backseat and rack. It works pretty good, just would like the added peace of mind of a trunk while I stop places.
Jarrod
Boone NC