Author Topic: For those of you that have GPS...  (Read 4990 times)

Offline sas mayhem

For those of you that have GPS...
« on: July 15, 2011, 11:12:12 PM »
are there any disadvantages of hard wiring the power source with this http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/gilsson/ghs-b.html or is it better to use a socket /cigar set up?

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Tele130

Re: For those of you that have GPS...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
I have my Magellan hard wired and my Garmin GPSMAP 60C plugged in.  No, I don't use both at the same time ;D.  The 60C has a tracking feature that I like to use when I go out with the guys.  Then I download it to the computer for future references.  It doesn't have the capability to plug in a address and take you there like the Magellan unit does, so I carry both.  I like the hard wire better.  Just a cleaner set-up. :thumbs:

The disadvantage of the plug in is that it can vibrate loose from the socket and loose power while riding.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Tele130

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 08:53:03 AM »
Check out this guy if your going to Hard Wire your GPS power source. 
http://myworld.ebay.com/fis4her_gps_gear

Click on "Items for Sale" (Left side of the page).

Doug Colton

Offline lonekazoo

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 01:05:56 PM »
A possible disadvantage with hardwiring a Garmin GPS with traffic is that the traffic receiver is inline on the power cable, so you would lose that functionality without some modification.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 02:14:41 PM »
Thanks for thee inputs, and while I'm on the subject is there any recommendation for a waterproof case for a Garmin?

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 03:17:48 PM »
I use a Rifle windscreen, it has a forward shelf that works great as a velcro strip mount. I have my Nuvi setting on my dash shelf, with industial velcro on its base and its back. Absolutly dead solid in holding the GPS in place. I have a Cig, plug on the left opening just above the cibby door. Plug and go. Hope this helps.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Tele130

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 04:59:09 PM »
Thanks for thee inputs, and while I'm on the subject is there any recommendation for a waterproof case for a Garmin?

Cheers
Ron

I'm not much help on that one Ron. I have a Pelican Box from Aerostitch.com that I modded for my RAM mount. My Megellen fits in there very nicely. Than again, if I'm going to in the rain I switch to my Garmin GPSMAP 60C........it waterproof.

Doug Colton

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 05:02:32 PM »
I use a Rifle windscreen, it has a forward shelf that works great as a velcro strip mount. I have my Nuvi setting on my dash shelf, with industial velcro on its base and its back. Absolutly dead solid in holding the GPS in place. I have a Cig, plug on the left opening just above the cibby door. Plug and go. Hope this helps.
Ride safe all.
Greg

Have you got a picture of that? I've been looking at my Rifle shelf and I've been wondering how to mount one without hanging a mount off "something" or buying a tank bag just for that. Thanks.
Ron
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Pfloydgad

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 06:10:35 PM »
Ron,
I have the velcro on the back middle and bottom of the GPS. The middle shelf on the Rifle holds the middle velcro and of course, the bottom holds the bottom. I also have the cord wrapped up and I put a velcro strap around it. I then placed the other side velcro in the groove to hold it in place.
Here are the pics, hope this helps.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 06:57:14 PM »
Ron,
I have the velcro on the back middle and bottom of the GPS. The middle shelf on the Rifle holds the middle velcro and of course, the bottom holds the bottom. I also have the cord wrapped up and I put a velcro strap around it. I then placed the other side velcro in the groove to hold it in place.
Ride safe all.
Greg

That's a nice and simple install,  Greg, thank for the pic.
 ;)
09 Connie

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 07:32:52 PM »
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 08:00:41 PM »
I  stuck my gps over my tach with a round spot of  velcro, shades it so I can see it in the florida sun. 2 lighter plug in in the fairing pocket, 1 runs to gps, other is to charge phone.

Get off bike, take out phone and lock up gps, and the other side is the mini bar!

Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline sas mayhem

09 Connie

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 07:40:16 PM »
Ron,
Ride safe all.
Greg

Nice pix. Thanks.
(The other Ron  ;)
(First it was "Steves" now the"Rons" are multiplying..........) ;D
2014 C-14 Red

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 01:39:41 AM »
Hard wired:
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/gps.htm

Per your reference this quote "....Bought a 2A power adaptor with the right-angled mini-USB plug and pin-outs per Garmin requirements (otherwise it won't run and charge at the same time)...."

Is that to say that mod is required to run and charge at the same time?
If so is that the only way to use and charge at the same time?

I might have lost something,  :o

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 07:09:51 AM »
Required pin-out for a garmin nuvi to charge and run:
http://pinouts.ru/GPS/garmin_nuvi_power_pinout.shtml

These have the right pin-outs
http://cgi.ebay.com/2A-Car-Power-Charger-Adapter-Garmin-Nuvi-265-w-wt-t-/150598604371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2310605653

A general purpose usb charger, like the one I have for my Blackberry, charges the nuvi but the GPS application doesn't run at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:28:37 AM by George R. Young »
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »
Super thanks George, I just ordered one.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline Crashcup

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 12:04:49 PM »

The frugal alternative: ziplock bag over the gps. This has worked fine for me, although mine is in a RAM cradle and the bag can slip all the way over, then zip it up underneath.
2005 Concours - "Vanessa"
1999 VFR800 - "Stella"

Offline Pfloydgad

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
The frugal alternative: ziplock bag over the gps. This has worked fine for me, although mine is in a RAM cradle and the bag can slip all the way over, then zip it up underneath.
Any XL Profalactic, non powdered or lubed works well also. That is all I'm saying about this one.
Ride safe all.
Greg

Offline spd2918

• Stay off the paint, boys.
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 07:12:53 AM »

+1  this seems to do the trick.

My hardwired set up (it sits below the gauges when seated on the bike):