Author Topic: Pilot Power 3 review (with pictures)  (Read 5323 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Pilot Power 3 review (with pictures)
« on: May 12, 2014, 12:51:10 AM »
I'm bringing this post from Accessories because it's on an old thread and I really want people to know about these tires. One factor that makes them a bit more interesting is that they are tested by the freaking stringent German TÜV and are approved for sustained high speeds.

Anyway, I got the tires mounted and went here to try them out. It's a nice sweeping 80 miles road from the dealer to the curves so I had the chance to do the tire break in. The first thing I noticed after just a few meters out of the dealer's parking lot was how nicely the bike turns, without the effort that I had to put before with the Pirelli Angel ST. It takes a little bit more intention to put the bike up right or change direction, but after 10 minutes riding the body adjusts and forgets. But the effort it always took to keep the bike at high lean angles with the Pirelli tires was always bothering me, now it's gone. This is what the rear looks like:

And here you can even see the softer compound on the edge of the tire:

The next thing I noticed in the curves was the huge levels of grip of this tires. The Angels were good, much better than the original Bridgestones. The bike has 50000 miles so I had 2 Bridgestone and 6 Pirelli in the rear, and they always lasted about 5000 miles, plus somewhere in between a Dunlop Roadsmart that I put in Scottland that lasted just 3000 miles. If this Michelins last just like the Pirellis, with this amazing grip, I'll be very happy.
The proof that the grip is huge is that in the past I've never managed to consistently touch the feelers. I always chicken out before reaching the limit. Only once I touched and it was more unintentional than I'd like to admit. But now, this is what the feelers look like:

It's not easy to tell from the first two pictures, but the tire is used in all its profile, from left to right, no chicken strip to peak off. Absolutely confidence inspiring. I was following a friend who has been riding for aeons and has the smoothest line in the curves. After a couple of runs I was scrapping the feelers with no effort, even after hanging off a bit. Just mind blowing grip!!!
Ride is a little bit harsher, but I like it, while the tires seem to be more silent than the Angels, with less rolling noise.
Just my 2 cents.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline st2sam

Re: Pilot Power 3 review (with pictures)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:13:29 AM »
 :thumbs:
Thanks Martin, I'll see if I can find a good price on a set.
It just so happens I planned on ordering tires this week.
I've been running Pilot Road II's and pretty happy with grip and mileage, all for a little under $300.00 for a set.
2009 Kawasaki C14
1993 Ducati 907ie (for sale)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:58:12 AM »
Michelin Power or PR3's and 4's <----only to be employed when a second best tire will not suffice
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:53:23 AM by stevewfl »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:17:45 AM »
you went and hit really twisty roads at full lean immediately after getting brand new tires put on?

I did that once.  Once.
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 09:51:11 AM »
I will be interesting to see how long these hold up on a bike as heavy as ours.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 10:52:20 AM »
you went and hit really twisty roads at full lean immediately after getting brand new tires put on?

I did that once.  Once.

Not according to his original post....

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 01:53:39 PM »
Not according to his original post....

Here in Texas, you'd have to ride 100 miles to find your first curve, 80 miles would scuff in the very center of your new tires.

"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline tomp

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 05:51:57 PM »
I have PR3's on my RT and Z8's on the C14. I realize they are slightly different mounts, but the 3's allow me to change directions much quicker and smoother than the 8's.  The 8's are good and feel very stable, but require more constant effort to keep the bike in line in sweepers.  It may be more the difference in bikes than tires, but there is a big difference to me.  (The 3's and 8's were both free, so who am I to complain.)

For the uninformed, like me, what are the main differences between the PP3's and the PR3's, in construction, grip, life, etc?  tomp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:37:26 PM »
But he's talking about Pilot Power not Pilot Road. Very different tires.

Offline tomp

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 07:54:19 PM »
I knew that, that's why I asked about the differences, between the PR's and the PP's.  I commented on the PR's to see what others thought who had ridden PR's  and now road PP's, or visa versa. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 02:07:16 AM »
As I understand it, Pilot Road and Angel GT are comparable and made for spirited touring. Both have excellent reviews, and I could imagine them being better in the wet than Pilot Power, but that is just my guess because I am a coward in the wet.
I chose the PP3 because I wanted to get the most grip this time. I know they'll last less, but this time I don't care, and I'm enjoying the bike so much more exploring its capabilities on a performance level that I didn't experience before. The other tires I know will grip like this are mounted in RRs.

I know it's not fare to compare old with new tires, but I rode the last couple of (rainy) days with the Angel ST and with wet road the bike lost traction in 2nd gear under mild acceleration (flies out, PC5). The Pilot Power, even freshly mounted, are already more grippy. After 300 miles, they stick like glue. I even started playing with the gas at the exit of the curves at full lean and the tail starts coming out very nicely and predictably.
My girlfriend is a nice lean-o-meter. With the Angel ST, she started screaming at high lean angles. Now I lean so much farther that she cannot even scream  ;D

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 03:22:47 AM »

What size is the rear tire?  Is it the 50 or 55 profile?

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 03:32:44 AM »

What size is the rear tire?  Is it the 50 or 55 profile?

55 is not approved and if the Polizei stops me, it's not going to be pretty. Or cheap. And if I have an accident, the insurance company will leave me on my own. Some people take the risk, I don't dare  :P

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 04:15:29 AM »
55 is not approved and if the Polizei stops me, it's not going to be pretty. Or cheap. And if I have an accident, the insurance company will leave me on my own. Some people take the risk, I don't dare  :P

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 05:18:56 AM »
I love America.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 02:43:33 AM »
I love America.

Europe is the same, as is Asia or wherever. Only Germany, with the unrestricted Autobahns, has this limitation.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 03:26:50 AM »

I love unrestricted Autobahns.